SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What Ever Happened To The Browning BAR 22?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Ever Happened To The Browning BAR 22? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
So BlackTalonJHP's thread got me pondering on a number of subjects.

I know that Browning's BAR .22 went out of production in 1985, but I was wondering - was it too complicated/expensive to manufacture, or did it just not sell? Does anyone happen to know?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Il Cattivo,

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have one that was my dad's.

The tube magazine is a pain in the ass to load, the bottom ejection tends to throw hot brass on your arm or even up long sleeves, and the receiver and forearm are so skinny it feels like you're shooting a toy.

They're pretty little guns, and they're well made, but I just don't think they're that great to actually shoot.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the standard 22 as mentioned above. The BAR 22 was styled after the full size BAR centerfire sporter.
I don’t think they sold well, too expensive for the masses. Nice rifles though.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
This is mine. It’s NIB but unfortunately has some minor wear (see 2 pic on the 2nd row) from a rail the original owner put on it. I was able to score a few extra parts including magazine tube, bolt handle, etc.

I’m not sure why Browning stopped making them. I assume that cost was a huge factor - similar to the original A5. Another factor may have been reliability. Browning made two models, the original, like mine, has a steel receiver, the Series 2 had an aluminium receiver.

This is a link to a question about them I posted on the Browning forum several years ago. http://browningowners.com/foru...ar-22-thoughts.1450/

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

The tube magazine is a pain in the ass to load, the bottom ejection tends to throw hot brass on your arm or even up long sleeves, and the receiver and forearm are so skinny it feels like you're shooting a toy.

They're pretty little guns, and they're well made, but I just don't think they're that great to actually shoot.

You are confusing the Browning Semi-Auto 22 rifle with the Browning BAR-22. They are completely different rifles. The Bar 22 was in production for only about 8 years and loads like a traditional tube feed 22 rifle and ejects from the side while the Semi-Auto loads from the stock and ejects out the bottom and has been in production for over 100 years. https://www.browning.com/suppo...semi-auto-rifle.html
I originally wanted a SA-22 but found this BAR-22 and couldn’t pass it up. https://www.browning.com/suppo...rm/bar-22-rifle.html

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, BB61. So if I stumble across one at some point when I'm feeling flush, the steel receiver is the way to go?

FWIW, I saw somewhere that Numrich may still have parts.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Thanks for the link, BB61. So if I stumble across one at some point when I'm feeling flush, the steel receiver is the way to go?

FWIW, I saw somewhere that Numrich may still have parts.

That's what I would do. I'm actually looking for a second as a parts gun.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I see. Sorry for the mix-up.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not a problem. You think Browning, you think .22, that's what immediately comes to mind - as opposed to a rifle they made for 12 years and haven't made in 35 years or so.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Not a problem. You think Browning, you think .22, that's what immediately comes to mind - as opposed to a rifle they made for 12 years and haven't made in 35 years or so.

^^^^^^^^^^
Well said. When you think Browning and semi-auto 22, you really think of the SA-22. It’s a common mistake that I would have made until I bought my BAR-22 in 2011.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

if you are referring to the SA22, it is still being made,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post