SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help ID/find a rifle for me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ID/find a rifle for me Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about lever action Marlins...but I’ve got a wild hair for this TALO edition Marlin that I saw in stock a short while back on the Lipsey’s website. I’ve googled and googled and cannot find it again as I do not know the exact model number. Here’s what I remember: dealer cost was just over $1000, chambered in 45-70, color case hardened, octagonal barrel, IIRC it had some type of flip up peep sights (I could be imagining that part). It was gorgeous. Help me find her!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is the 1895 CB, G70465 product ID. 45-70, 24" Octagon barrel, case colored receiver. Can't actually find it in stock anywhere, or even a picture of one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
This is kind of a WAG, but add "Turnbull" to your search.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I can’t find pics of it anywhere either. Confused

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
One member claimed to have a rifle similar to the model described, however he was recently banned.

Earlier this year, member beltfed21, described owning a number of Marlins, including an 1895 CB with a long octagonal barrel, but didn't mention whether it was a Talo or if it had a color case hardened receiver.

You might try contacting him for additional info. The thread title is vague, so you might also consider editing it to include more details and help refine your search as to who might be able to help you.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to contact Lipsey"s direct rather than the web site?? Might be worth a try.. ....................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
As Yellowjacket mentioned,

The factory one you are after is a Marlin 1895CB Talo edition in 45-70. Came with 24” Octoagon barrel, rear peep sight, case colored/hardened finish.

Not sure I’d be much help finding one in stock. And no idea on future plans to reproduce with the sale and what not.

This is it correct? SKU: TALO MAR 70465

If I recall correctly from my FFL days, TALO editions are not exclusive to Lispeys like “Lipsey’s Exclusive” models. So perhaps you can find one new old stock out in the wild.

You can also spend more and buy a factory 1895CB from Turnbull, but they are probably facing the same shortages as we all are.

https://www.turnbullrestoratio...urnbull-restoration/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Have you tried to contact Lipsey"s direct rather than the web site?? Might be worth a try.. ....................... drill sgt.

If this was before around 1985 we could have went to Steinberg's in Baton Rouge and got one.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
This doesn't answer your rifle question but it's something interesting about Richard Lipsey.

Richard Lipsey & JFK

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yes, OttoSig! You found it, where on earth did you find that pic? Contacting Lipseys and Marlin were next on my list. I really appreciate y’all’s help. I am an FFL/SOT, that’s how I found it on Lipseys site... it couldn’t have been more than a few months ago?? Anyway, thanks again! I guess the search continues now that we know the model # and have a good pic.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Tombstone tactical and a few other places have the picture still.

A couple gun search websites showed 0 known in stock locations.

Only route at this time I know of would be put it on a wish list with RMRGroup, lipseys and Davidson’s and forget about it until you get a surprise notification.

Best of luck.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks buddy

quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Tombstone tactical and a few other places have the picture still.

A couple gun search websites showed 0 known in stock locations.

Only route at this time I know of would be put it on a wish list with RMRGroup, lipseys and Davidson’s and forget about it until you get a surprise notification.

Best of luck.

posted Hide Post
Unless you manage to find one as new old stock out of some gunshop's inventory, it may take a while to find any new production coming out of Lipsey's unless they're sitting on a batch that's in their infamous dealer "allocation" allotment. I'd guess that Ruger will probably take some time strategizing and setting up new Marlin production lines as they figure what exactly it is that they've bought from Remington. Likely not all of the Marlin models will be available straight away once Ruger gets their production going.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There are JM CB's on Broker frequently- personally, I have rolled the dice with a Remlin and never would again You could pick one up and easily have the receiver case hardened-finished. Or you could wait and see what offerings Ruger has when they get production up and running.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very true. It’ll be interesting to see if Ruger puts something similar out. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
There are JM CB's on Broker frequently- personally, I have rolled the dice with a Remlin and never would again You could pick one up and easily have the receiver case hardened-finished. Or you could wait and see what offerings Ruger has when they get production up and running.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
So I’m curious since the idea of having a rifle refinished came up if I can’t find what I’m after...

I like the Henry lever actions, but do not care for their color case hardened finishes. If I theoretically bought a Henry, any idea how much $$ I’d be looking at for refinishing that was more to my tastes?

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
So I’m curious since the idea of having a rifle refinished came up if I can’t find what I’m after...

I like the Henry lever actions, but do not care for their color case hardened finishes. If I theoretically bought a Henry, any idea how much $$ I’d be looking at for refinishing that was more to my tastes?

I would say $200-300 is a good guesstimate for the receiver of a lever gun or double barrel shotgun.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good deal, that’s about what I’d guess too