SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finishing my first build, tips and headspace checking.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finishing my first build, tips and headspace checking. Login/Join 
posted
I am wrapping up my first build. Waiting on a stock and trigger guard and then I will post pics.

Aero Precision Lower, CMMG premium LPK, PSA Dissy upper, Tool Craft BCG and the BCM Gunfighter charging handle.

Assembling the lower I watched a ton of build videos and the two best tips I picked up were:

-Pressing in the bolt release pin with a pair of vice grips instead of hammering.

-Using a putty knife to hold down the take down pin detent as I didn't order a clevis pin.

Just wanted to pass those along.

Now that it is technically in operable condition, I was thinking about having a gunsmith check the headspace since the BCG and barrel did not come together. I have read opinions in both directions. I called my preferred LGS and they didnt even let me talk to the smith and were dismissive of my concerns. Thoughts?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't even imagine that advice. I would simply not shoot a rifle that did not have its headspace checked. You would be nuts. The parts to do so are really cheap and if you can build it you can do it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check and verify the headspace. It's likely to be fine but it's an important safety check that absolutely should never be skipped when building a new rifle.............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At minimum I'd recommend checking the headspace with the Brownells Field Gauge. The best case would be to check the headspace with a matched set of gauges.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had been planning on checking it. I was just taken aback when I saw so many people say they never did it or even thought about doing it and 'milspec is milspec' so everything must fit together right.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even with real mil spec parts the tm checks headspace.
And as an aside you don't have any of those parts.

posted Hide Post
I don't think it is a big deal on the AR platform. There is a huge difference between an AR with its separate barrel hood mating up to bolt lugs and pretty much every other rifle design.

So, I neither think it is useless to do, nor do I think one would be crazy not to do it. It would be a best practice...but if you assembled 100 w/o checking, I bet they'd all be fine.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure most combinations would be fine and are, but the reason they make gauges to check this is because when its not fine, its a real problem.
I'll repeat what I said above, you have to nuts to not check your headspace.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
A while back I invested in go no-go gauges, I think I got them on Amazon or Brownells. They were not very expensive. Well worth the piece of mind. With them, I did come across a brand new BCG that was out of spec. In the military, we used them on most weapons

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Okay, maybe I am an idiot. I have built at least 6 AR rifles from a stripped lower. I then bought the lower parts kit, upper, BCG, barrel, etc. all from different places and put together my rifle. Every rifle has shot perfect with no issues and I did not have the headspace checked or even know this was something to be concerned about. So either I am really lucky, or it is not that big of a deal.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, maybe I am an idiot.

this. or at least you don't like yourself.
Check the headspace.

posted Hide Post
I've assembled three and never checked the head space. Now in all three cases I used a factory mated barrel and upper, however I supplied the bcg on all of them. All have been perfect.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW if it isn't checked for headspace after the HPT it doesn't meet MIL–DTL–71186A ( Military Detail Spec) para 3.6.3.2. Link. So the whole "Milspec is Milspec" argument is a little hollow, because last I checked you needed the barrel, barrel extension and bolt to properly check headspace.

I personally think it's testimony to Stoner and the rest of the Armalite team that their design can be so easily assembled with minimal difficulty by laymen with minimal tools.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I've built a bunch and every one has checked out perfectly except that one bolt. Chances are that I'll never see another out of spec combo. It's kind of like the lottery, somebody has to win!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Even if your headspace is out of spec, it doesn't mean that it'll cause immediate problems. Often times the firearm continues to work, accelerating wear and chances of failure.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have headspace gauges if you're interested. I think they are .223's but I'll check when I get home.

On a side note I used to know the head armorer for the NY National Guard. We were talking about headspace and he told me that in 22 years he never saw an M16 or M4 come out of spec that wasn't massively mistreated. It can happen, but you have to try.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checking headspace is part of doing the job right and is cheap insurance.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post