SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    For you 6.5 CM factory ammo afficionados (bullet blow up)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For you 6.5 CM factory ammo afficionados (bullet blow up) Login/Join 
posted
This past weekend, we had a shooter come play with us with his factory rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor using Hornady 147gr factory ammo.

He complained that some of his shots were not being detected by the etargets. I noticed something strange about one of his shots and since I had seen this before, I set myself up properly and captured the following video.

http://img.gg/jL0yj9l

Yep, that's what a bullet blow up looks like. Enjoy.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
That’s interesting. What is his twist rate? Was this his first time using this ammo?

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Excellent!
Thank you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He said it was a 1:8 twist. New rifle. Very low round count.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! I think that’s what led to the Speer 125 grain TNT’s being designed with thicker jackets too. That might be how they got their name, but I’m not 100% positive about that. They used to have a maximum twist rate caution on the box.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
My cousin experienced the exact issue seen there with 140 ELDs. Hornady said they weren’t aware of an issue but if you look on different forums, there have been many cases of it happening. Shame on hornady if you ask me. We fired the ELDs out of 3 separate guns the day my cousin was having issues. A Savage, a Ruger RPR, and my Tikka CTR. Each of them had the same shit happen. I honestly think the jacket was too thin and the high humidity peeled the jacket off due to friction. While the American Gunner stuff is good to go for cheap range fodder, the ELDs are garbage to me, no matter anyone else’s results. Berger has some good loaded ammo and it does what it is supposed to at a price very similar to loaded Hornady ammo plus you get to keep the snazzy Lapua brass once you’re done.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
My cousin experienced the exact issue seen there with 140 ELDs.
I honestly think the jacket was too thin and the high humidity peeled the jacket off due to friction.

High-humidity air is actually less dense than low-humidity air. Plug atmospheric data into a Density Altitude calculator to see this.

Jacket design, jacket thickness, the way the barrel's lands are cut, the way the lands cut into the jacket, and bullet rotational speeds are the primary factors in a bullet's blowing up in mid-flight.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m going to use the blowup excuse the next time I have a miss. Wink

It’s obviously a problem, but thus far I don’t believe it’s happened to me with the 140 ELD and my TRG.

As for the humidity thing, I’ve actually seen the error published in books that were supposedly for long range shooters. But even though high humidity means less dense air, the difference in bullet trajectory whether it’s high or low is very minor at moderate distances.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post