SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Pistol Grip pump 20 gauge vs. 12 gauge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol Grip pump 20 gauge vs. 12 gauge Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I've fired a 12 gauge pistol grip pump. It's a handful. I don't believe I fired reduced recoil loads through one. But for those that have fired a 20 gauge pistol grip pump, is the recoil impulse noticeably different than that of a 12 gauge?

Like one of these guys:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GarandGuy,

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
You should try my 870 with a limbsaver.
It's super tamed down compared to how it used to be.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I think he means a Pistol grip only pump, like Mossberg's Shockwave.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
ah - that makes more sense.
the shockwaves arent too bad (I have the tac14) - i think the grip angle alleviates some of the pain.

But the ones with the vert grip in the back and no shoulder stock... yeah those can be pretty brutal

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
I think he means a Pistol grip only pump, like Mossberg's Shockwave.

The shockwave isn’t what he shows in his example picture.

I don’t like vertical pistol gripped shotguns like the one pictured, though I have not fired a 20 gauge version. But with the invention of the Shockwave and Tac-14 I don’t see any reason to ever own one. The Shockwave grip handles recoil better IMO and with low recoil buck the 12ga is quite manageable.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know.
I posted before he edited the post and added the photo.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Well yeah... the 20ga is less. Big Grin

I've owned a 20ga camper, 12ga 500C PG and a shockwave.
Problem is there was a span of many many years in between shooting all of them so I have no side by side judgment. But the 20 was surely less. But that plastic grip is the painful part. The shockwave type grip does make it more comfortable.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
It's 8 less gauges.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it is less, many 20 gauges also weigh less, like the Mossberg 500s. For recoil sensitive shooters they still find it unpleasant. Adding a limbsaver and low recoil loads (980 fps) made it very manageable however.

Also, I've found everyone's hands are shaped differently and handle recoil differently. I personally like the old TacStar setup with the tommy gun style dual grips front and back. I find that dividing the recoil makes it much more pleasant. I dunno if they're still made, seems like I see the rear grips a lot but not the front. I suppose you could put a grip on a forend rail.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Mossberg makes the Shockwave in 20 gauge. Less recoil than a 12. Pistolgrip sort of amplify recoil vs the Shockwave grip.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I don't have a pistol grip shotty, but I own the Shockwave in 20 gauge and it does have less recoil than the 12 g model.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
12 ga. with a pistol grip isn't bad at all IMO, provided you don't put 3" mags through it. That'll make your hand hurt for awhile. Stick with 2 3/4s and it's fine.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I will never buy/fire a 12 Ga pistol grip only shotgun again, unless it's the last resort. The first, and last, time I shot it, I had wrist drop for days. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I will never buy/fire a 12 Ga pistol grip only shotgun again, unless it's the last resort. The first, and last, time I shot it, I had wrist drop for days. Roll Eyes

Thanks for posting this. I have wondered about these since they came out and almost ordered one.Something inside me said this is not a good idea.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ever watch any of those gun fail mashup videos on YouTube? About 50% of them feature one of these pistol grip type shotguns, or folks trying to fire a shotgun without properly shouldering it. I'll admit to having tried it myself once...only once. I have no desire to ever do so again, much less own one of these things.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Thanks for posting this. I have wondered about these since they came out and almost ordered one.Something inside me said this is not a good idea.

When you say “these” do you mean a shotgun like the OP pictured? Or the Tac-14/Shockwave type? Just to repeat what I said before they are two totally different shooters. I hate traditional vertical pistol grip shotguns but the birds head grip is amazingly easy to shoot.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have shot an 870 with two different grips. The first was a solid plastic grip. It was awful. We were shooting shells from a bucket of miscellaneous leftovers that my buddy had collected. I accidentally shot a 3” magnum. My hand truly hurt for days.

I later shot one with the Hogue reduced recoil rubberized grip. Bracing it again my stomach, it was no problem at all. It is still my primary HD long gun.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I have shot an 870 with two different grips. The first was a solid plastic grip. It was awful. We were shooting shells from a bucket of miscellaneous leftovers that my buddy had collected. I accidentally shot a 3” magnum. My hand truly hurt for days.

I later shot one with the Hogue reduced recoil rubberized grip. Bracing it again my stomach, it was no problem at all. It is still my primary HD long gun.

Ha ha ha, I remembered doing that after shooting a few rounds unsupported. Really helped. But, by then, the damage to the wrist was already done.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The Marshals had what was called a WP 870; it was essentially the Shockwave, but built on an 870 receiver. The bird's head grip makes a world of difference,

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 12ga and use low recoil shells.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post