SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do you like for optic on your AR SBR or Pistol?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you like for optic on your AR SBR or Pistol? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I prefer good old irons.

I use a carry handle sight as well on my AR pistol. It's rugged with no batteries to go bad or glass to get damaged.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 MRO's, 1 Pro, 2 XPS-2's, 1 RMR, 1 M4s, 1 H1.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Trijicon MROs and one Aimpoint pro. The MRO works way better for me, that's why I now have two. Will be buying a third soon.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Eyes are not up to spec any longer

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
EOTech for serious use. Serious but money is very tight? HoloSun with circle/dot reticle.

The circle/dot reticle is better for quick and precise short range shots, while still allowing precise longer shots.

With most 5.56/.223 "duty" rounds, and the 65MOA circle, when zeroing the dot for 50/200 yards, the round is within 2 inches of the dot all the way out to about 225 yards. But when a quick and precise short range shot (10 yards or less) where 2" of error is unacceptable, the bottom of the circle allows for quick and precise shooting.

It increases speed in those situations as there is no need to figure out where the dot needs to go to account for the mechanical offset. No worries about vertical or lateral error as the hash at the bottom of the circle IS the zero.

Even when the precision is not needed, and +/- 2" is close enough, it's faster to find the dot when the eye is guided by the circle, or at CQB ranges just put the whole circle COM, and go with no need to focus on the tiny dot.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an Aimpoint Pro or irons on my SBRs.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have Aimpoint PRO & Comp2, Romeo5 & MD-ADS on mine.
I prefer the smaller red dots but I’d never shy away from an Aimpoint Comp / PRO.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I have 2 AR-15 sbrs. Have aimpoint micro on both those. Then I have a trijicon rmr on my MPX sbr.

I had issues with the rmr blinking under recoil. Bought one of those plates to put under the battery and its been good since. I hear they have fixed that issue with Gen 2 rmr.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint CompM5 on my new MCX.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
EOTech for serious use.

seriously. explain that one. given the history?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
EOTech for serious use.

He spelled Aimpoint wrong :-)

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
My eyes are getting older so I removed my Micro H1 and added a Leupold VXR Patrol. It is fast at 1.5x and allows accurate shots out to 200yds at 4x. The scope also has a daylight visible red dot and is motion activated for long battery life.

How do you like that flash can on the rifle in the first pic?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex SparcAR on my AR pistol.

There are better red dots, but it has been up to the task through some rough use.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
EOTech for serious use.

"Seriously," I explained it quite clearly. Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
I explained it quite clearly.

Yes, he did.

DMF and I have different preferences in red dot sights, including for engaging short range targets with precision shots, but he has explained the basis for his preference here and in previous discussions of the subject very well. He hasn’t convinced me to change my mind (yet Wink ), but it’s not because I don’t understand his reasoning.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While I'm not an Eotech fan and dislike the shadiness of the company trying to hide the issues, plenty of high speed types still like and use it.

Great thing about lots of choices are we are free to make them and figure out what works for us. Although I know there are crotchety old farts who think the fixed carrying handle is the pinnacle of AR sighting systems. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Elcan Specter DR

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Although I know there are crotchety old farts who think the fixed carrying handle is the pinnacle of AR sighting systems.

Whut -- you mean it's mo' better than a vernier tang sight?

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Although I know there are crotchety old farts who think the fixed carrying handle is the pinnacle of AR sighting systems.

Whut -- you mean it's mo' better than a vernier tang sight?
I mean, if you've never shot with a gutter sight or point shooting, you wouldn't understand. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Trijicon mini ACOGs; one 1.5x min, one 4x32, and a Trijicon MRO.
One Steiner RX-1, I like the stepped up zeros - from 5 meters - 10. A surprising little guy is a Primary Arms bought years ago that just won't die. I've abused it, just turning it off when I remember.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post