SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought an MRAD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an MRAD Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
OK!
I got some spare cash coming in soon and it's already burning a hole in my pocket.
I was initially thinking to dump it all into a full auto of some kind.. but the NFA headaches and how much the stuff costs has deterred me.

So instead I'm leaning towards a super fancy bolt gun.

Currently the range I go to caps out at 500 meters.
The multiple .308's I have can easily handle that.
However the range owner is in the process of making a 1200 meter range.

I'm strongly considering picking up something in .338 LM.
Did some thinking about 6.5 creedmore - but that seems to mostly cap out (effective) at about 1000m.

Edited to update title

Question:
So this brings us to "OMGWHATGUNDOIBUY?!"

Comments/advise/experiences are highly encouraged!

Choices:
DTA SRS A2
Barrett MRAD
FN Ballista
Other (explain)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: creslin,

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I vote other.

I think you need a Sako TRG 42 in your life. They shoot lights out and the factory trigger is quite superb. The bolt is silky smooth, plus they are detachable mag fed. The stock ergonomics are quite nice as well.

Consider your money spent.

You're welcome.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Voted for the SRS, but why not go HTI as well ?

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
My vote is the MRAD. Love mine, and it's a 2011 model. The current gen is even better. Norway I believe just bought several for their military. Excellent adjustable trigger. AR grip and style/length controls. If you are comfortable with an AR the MRAD will feel right at home. Stock is well thought out and side folding.

I wanted to like the FN but it has a weird grip safety (think 1911) that was a turnoff.

Heres mine with a PVS 30 mounted for shits n gigs

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3593 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

I wanted to like the FN but it has a weird grip safety (think 1911) that was a turnoff.

Is that what that is?!
I saw it on the pictures (from the side) and was confused - thought it was just a trick of the light or something.

Damn... the ballista was the front-runner in my mind.
But that weird grip safety...

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
My vote is the MRAD.

Is yours 338?
What optic is that on there? NXS? ATACR? BEAST?

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
Voted for the SRS, but why not go HTI as well ?

HTI does not come in .338

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
My vote is the MRAD.

Is yours 338?
What optic is that on there? NXS? ATACR? BEAST?

Yup, 338.

Scope is an ATACR 5-25x56

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3593 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many questions should be answered first. I'm on a tight schedule, heading off to an ELR match for a few days.

What's your total budget? Rifle, optics, brake/can, bipod, case, magazines, optics mount

What rifle platforms have you shot? What did you like and dislike? Are you looking for a traditional stock, pistol grip-type stock, lots of size adjustments in the stock?

How do you feel about having recoil that is 2 or 3 times as much as your 308?

Do you hand load or do you rely on factory ammo? What are you willing to spend per round of ammo? Depending on your answer, there are a whole lot more effective rounds than both 6.5 Creedmoor and 338LM for you stated distances.

Are you concerned with barrel life? And of course the cost to rebarrel. A true long distance round eats barrels compared to your 308.

Is shooting at 1,000 yards an beyond going to be a day-after-day thing, or just a once in a blue moon thing?

Do you expect to compete against others in the LD game, or will the rifle be just a range toy?

I wouldn't buy a factory rifle for such purpose, but rather choose the components and have a talented 'smith assemble the gun.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read this thread last night, my first thought was "build your own."

By the time I got to a keyboard this morning, fritz had already made the comment after a series of excellent questions, so I am happy to echo firtz's statement. Choose your components, spec out the rifle to your exact needs and desires and get it built.

The satisfaction of shooting a rifle that you spec'ed out and had built for you just makes everything that much better. And when you also roll your own ammo, well, that's the cherry on the Sundae cup.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would buy the Sako TRG and all the accessories that are available for it! Get some nice glass and go to town.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Total budget is fairly fluid.
Up front cost (rifle/optic) budget is somewhere around the 8k mark.
Other stuff is (mostly) low cost and can be scavenged from existing stuff or filled in as needed.
I’ll very likely have a can on it eventually - but I’m not factoring in that cost for now.

With regards to stuff I’ve shot..
Handful of Rem700s.. Scar20...
I’ve shot a 6.5 Creedmore once.
The vast majority of my experience is .308 or smaller.

I strongly prefer pistol grip stocks over traditional.
(note: so this means the sako suggested is out)

I’m not super concerned about recoil.
I’m still in my 30s and not frail in any way.

I do not hand load - so I would be relying on factory ammo.
I’ve looked up 338LM prices...
Looks like it’s about $4 per round for decent stuff.
I would not be shooting this thing every day all day.
This is way more likely to be a “take it to the range every other month or so”
So with usage like that.. ammo cost won’t be too crippling.
Neither should be barrel life.

I do not see competition in my future.

posted Hide Post
Where do you shoot 500 yards around Cary? I lived in Cary over 30 years ago and at that time, there were not many rifle ranges. I see that Butner is not very far and they go all the way to 1000 yards. It's north of Durham, west of Creedmoor, (maybe that's an omen.)

I realize you're not looking at competition, but they have some great shooters at Butner. I run into them at the Nationals every year or so.

$8k is a pretty good budget for a solid rifle with excellent optics. If the range you go to is building out to 1200 yards and that's your motivation, I would check to see what caliber limitations they have, if any.

6.5CM is excellent at 1200 yards, and excellent factory ammo is available. Some of the other calibers that would do well at that distance are more handload than factory. If your goal is to get really good with the rifle, the only way to do that is to shoot, a lot. At $4 a pop, unless someone pays for your ammo, you're going to be spending a lot.

There are many great 6.5CM or .300 Winmag, or similar rifles out there, if you don't want to build your own. Then put on a top tier optics with a 20 MOA ramp, buy lots of ammo and go have fun.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I voted "other", but of the offerings you are looking at, I'd go Barrett MRAD.

As for voting "other," I'd contact our own jelrod at Modacam Custom Rifles here and have a rifle built just for me.

If I was spending that kind of coin, I'd want to pick and choose what was best for me, while being guided by a real pro. These guys do beautiful work. Hopefully, some day, I'll be buying one of their pieces.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I shoot a good amount of this 250gr S&B stuff. Most of the time I just bring the MRAD out for others to shoot at the farm and I'll shoot a couple mags for fun. New production and good quality ammo. Doesn't shoot quite as tight as the more expensive stuff but short of any serious use/competition it works very well. $2.40 a round Smile

https://www.sgammo.com/product...o-sellier-bellot-sb3

What others have said makes sense. If I was going to compete I would absolutely have a custom gun done. I'll freely admit I bought the MRAD originally for the simple reason I wanted a big military style 338 and have always been a fan of Barrett stuff. I have plenty of fun with it for my intended use and the Silencerco BB does a great job.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Where do you shoot 500 yards around Cary? I lived in Cary over 30 years ago and at that time, there were not many rifle ranges. I see that Butner is not very far and they go all the way to 1000 yards. It's north of Durham, west of Creedmoor, (maybe that's an omen.)

Woodys
http://whr.club/

They opened up about 4-5 years ago.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, I shoot a good amount of this 250gr S&B stuff. Most of the time I just bring the MRAD out for others to shoot at the farm and I'll shoot a couple mags for fun. New production and good quality ammo. Doesn't shoot quite as tight as the more expensive stuff but short of any serious use/competition it works very well. $2.40 a round Smile

I did see some of that stuff and would very likely use it (or something similar) for initial zero (and for other people like you say lol)

quote:

I'll freely admit I bought the MRAD originally for the simple reason I wanted a big military style 338 and have always been a fan of Barrett stuff.

Not gonna lie... same lol

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was the point... for the price of practice rounds let alone match grade. You could shoot 50 all day...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
quote:

That was the point... for the price of practice rounds let alone match grade. You could shoot 50 all day...

Ah! Didn't understand the comment before.
Currently the local range does not allow anything higher than .338
That may change when the 1200m range is done - but I don't know that for a fact.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I saw a brand new M82 the other day for around 6.8k. I paid a little over that a year ago and thought I scored then.

Prices are great on those currently