SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Springfield M1A quality any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Springfield M1A quality any good? Login/Join 
posted
Trying to narrow it down on the M14 style rifle, and what does PSA go and do.... yeah, new Springfield M1A at 1200 delivered... which seems like a no brained, but just wondering if it’s worth holding out for an older one with GI parts?

I was looking online and have seen some built up on Armscorp receivers with all GI parts, and the research seems to lean towards that being a good choice IF it was built up right. But I’d be buying online, and no way to know what I have till it showed up.
Versus just getting the Springfield new and not worrying about it. Plus it’s about 400 less than I’m seeing for the older stuff.
I am guessing I am overthinking this a bit...

Thanks for any input!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at this point not a chance I would get a new springfield. For a new one I'd be looking at the people making decent stuff with a receiver like Bula or LRB or SEI. Not an expert on this area, but I'm sure some will be along.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do see all the really cool stuff coming out from LRB and Bula, but that’s WAY over my price point... I’m just trying to get an “M14” for my service rifle collection, as long as it shoots reasonably well, I don’t need a “match grade” rifle.

I’m pretty sure that PSA Springfield is in my future...

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
I have a custom made M14S based on a LRB receiver and Smith Enterprises'/GI Parts.

I have an old M1A Springfield Super Match.

They both shoot about the same in my hands.

The Springfield lost it's first stage in the trigger and the extractor came off.

I got a NOS GI extractor and installed it myself. Even though I was the 2nd-3rd owner, SA fixed the trigger group, gave me all the manuals and safety info...and even a coupon for discount accessories.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their products. But GI parts are more reliable, imho, and the older M1A's may be a better deal.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy it used. No reason to give those ass clowns at Springfield armory your money after they gave money to the gun grabbers in Chicago.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a scout squad, probably 2016 -2018 vintage, purchased from WARPIG used. It's a fine rifle, very reliable, well made, very tightly fitted and more repeatably accurate than I am. I would have no problem buying a recent production M1A.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If you've never owned a semiauto M14, then a used Loaded model is the sweet spot.

Frankly, what to buy from SAI, is their Loaded model, the Scout Squad, and the SOCOM. Their higher tier rifles are waaaaaaaay outclassed by everything else available out there.

A new standard or loaded model for your first M14 isn't a bad thing, but look for a used one first.

Once you know you like these rifles, move on from SAI, your money is better spent elsewhere for anything remotely custom or beyond what a Loaded is.

SAI has a history, and without that history the commercial M14 wouldn't be where it is, but the available commercial parts and services today have eclipsed the company that bought the name of a storied weapons and research plant in Massachusetts.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
If you've never owned a semiauto M14, then a used Loaded model is the sweet spot.

Frankly, what to buy from SAI, is their Loaded model, the Scout Squad, and the SOCOM. Their higher tier rifles are waaaaaaaay outclassed by everything else available out there.

A new standard or loaded model for your first M14 isn't a bad thing, but look for a used one first.

Once you know you like these rifles, move on from SAI, your money is better spent elsewhere for anything remotely custom or beyond what a Loaded is.

Thank you for the input. Of course what that really means is “thank you for the input that more or less lines up with what I was already thinking”....

My previous “M14” experience was with an early Polytech with GI parts. A very nice rifle I only sold due to a divorce.
At the end of the day I just want an “M14” for that slot in the service rifle collection, but if I can get the best possible rifle I can for actually shooting, I am well ahead...

Thanks
Bill R

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:

The Springfield lost it's first stage in the trigger and the extractor came off.

Mine too on the extractor. Mine also had one of the legs break of of the MIM trigger. I replaced them them GI parts and did an upgrade on the gas piston that I didn't absolutely have to do. I don't know if I'd buy a new model with an MIM trigger unless I had GI parts near to hand to replace them. Maybe they don't break THAT often but I've heard a few stories and mine did break after just a few rounds.

Other than that I'd follow Arc's advice as he is certainly more knowledgeable about M-14's than me and most others...........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post