SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle case for air travel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle case for air travel Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Have a bolt action, 22" barrel and a scope. Plan on hunting out of state that will require air travel. Suggestions appreciated for a sturdy case that won't cause TSA problems?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1550 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ll likely get lots of recommendations for pelican cases and that are nice but I like the Plano tactical cases which work just as well and cost 1/2the price. I also have an skb case which is good.

Typically I’ll not use the custom fitted foam and just throw that piece away, I load the gun, any optics, Ammo, knives, trekking poles etc in there and pack it right with extra clothes. You get a 50lb limit when flying with a case so may as well make use of it. You may even get away with using just the gun case and a small carry on if you can wear your boots etc on the plane.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pelican.

Most Airlines won’t let you pack rifle and ammo in same case. You’ll need to check a different bag for ammo.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TampaSIG:
Pelican.

Most Airlines won’t let you pack rifle and ammo in same case. You’ll need to check a different bag for ammo.

Every airline I’ve travelled with allowed it with zero issues.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I use the Pelican 1750 for airline travel with long guns. I can typically fit one rifle, one pistol, supporting gear, and some ammo all in one case. I cut the standard foam (not pluck-n-pull) myself using a sharp Xacto knife and it makes a big difference on securing your stuff and fitting a lot of items in one case.

I would also strongly consider the Storm IM3300 instead. They are very similar but the Storm case has better latches. On several occasions my Pelican 1750 has come out of the baggage handling area with one or more of the latches popped open from rough handling. Since I always have 4 good padlocks on the case it has never opened. But the Storm latches are much less likely to open unintentionally.

Get good padlocks. I found the Abloy Protec2 PL 330 locks and they are awesome. Likely complete overkill but I wanted something better than the typical Masterlock that can be easily defeated.

https://securitysnobs.com/Ablo...-PL-330-Padlock.html

quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Pelican.

Yep, same experience as newmexican. Just a couple weeks ago I flew to Montana for an Elk hunt. Rifle, pistol, and ammo for both guns all packed in my Pelican case. The TSA folks in MT were very friendly and complimented me on how organized my case was when they wanted to open it for inspection. As long as the ammo weight in the case doesn't exceed 11 pounds you are good to go.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B: I would also strongly consider the Storm IM3300 instead. They are very similar but the Storm case has better latches.

On sale for $185.82 here.

Thanks for the recommendation, Brett. But my wallet hates you. Big Grin

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have traveled cross country with rifles in both the traditional Pelican and the newer Pelican Storm cases. Both work well at protecting long and short guns. The Storm cases have more latches per case, and the latches are a little easier to use.

I also use the cases to transport rifles when attending matches in neighboring states. I have no issues tossing the rifles in the back of a pickup, carpooling with buddies, and having the rifle buried under a pile of gear and coolers.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
You’ll likely get lots of recommendations for pelican cases and that are nice but I like the Plano tactical cases which work just as well and cost 1/2the price. I also have an skb case which is good.

Yhis is good advice, especially if you live outside the USA where Pelican cases can cost us almost as much as a CZ rifle.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B: I would also strongly consider the Storm IM3300 instead. They are very similar but the Storm case has better latches.

On sale for $185.82 here.

Thanks for the recommendation, Brett. But my wallet hates you. Big Grin

Just rationalize it like a woman does.

"But it was on sale!"

Wink Big Grin

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Plano All Weather case

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-W...+inch+plano+gun+case

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Pelican.

Yup, as long as the ammo is packaged correctly, it's fine.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Pelican bought storm and it's their higher end.

I own both the Pelican 1750 and the Storm IM3300. Both are excellent, but as Brett stated 3300s have better latches. I'll also add that there are more latches and better lock points too.

When I knew I was moving away from Alaska, I ended up buying 1 case per month. If they were within 10% of each other I would buy the 3300, but when they weren't (prices were fluctuating greatly on Amazon) I bought the 1750. I own two 1750s and two 3300s.

Bunch of miles on the cases between Alaska and L48, L48 and Canada, Canada and H-town, and within L48. Zero latches have popped open, no wheel has broken, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Some 1750 layout options for your viewing pleasure. The top one I cut out using a cheap hot-wire cutter from Amazon. The bottom one I cut out using some fresh Xacto blades and it came out just as well. Same case in both pictures, just different foam inserts.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post