SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need your help re:Atlas Bipod
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your help re:Atlas Bipod Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
My imaginary friends, I need your help. For the last two weeks I have had the desire to upgrade my cheap Caldwell Harris bipod copy....I have researched which bipod is the best and Atlas comes up the winner...

It’s just I’m cheap. There, I said it...and because I’m cheap I keep coming up with, “ it just holds up the gun” and can’t get to the purchasing it part...

I can get a discount from BT for a BT47-LW17 ( the bipod with the no rotating legs and a quick disconnect) so I could move it between weapons...I just don’t know if it will make enough differenc when shooting ...I don’t shoot rifle competition and I don’t hunt anymore...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You know you want it: Buy it! Wink

I have two Atlas bipods even though they can be moved between guns with a QD mount because two is one and one is none or some such nonsense.
But as much as it pains me to say it, I believe that Atlas merely started the revolution in bipods, and there may be better choices these days. Some of our long range experts have made such references.

The only caveat I’d offer about other types is that it’s very important to me that Atlas bipods accept different feet for different shooting surfaces. Most of the time I like spikes, but they’re not so good when shooting off a car hood for example. Some other brands now have their own optional feet, and a couple or so take Atlas feet, and I know of at least one company of aftermarket feet for the Atlas system. Atlas feet require a tool to remove (although a punch or even paperclip works) and at least one other bipod advertises toolless feet changes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Take a quick peek at the ThunderBeast bipod, just to be sure Atlas is the one for you. They are the best I’m sure, but the ThunderBeast one is new and pretty sweet too.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, you are not helping...Wink

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Magpul... take a look

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Note that you can buy leg extenders for Atlas bipods, giving flexibility if you need higher or lower positions.

I like mine way better than the others I've tried, but at 2x the cost, it had the Scotsman in me saying "Laddie, you'll be eating haggis without ale or whiskey for years to cover the price differential."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I hate to be an enabler, but Atlas kind of has the best product. I know the Harris people are fanatics, and stuff, but my vote is for the higher end Atlas.

At $300+, it's not for the faint of heart, but if you've got a $2,500 rifle, you can do the math.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried a few different options, but in reality the Atlas is the best all around choice I've found.
For the record the spiked feet work great on car hoods, just don't do it on your own...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Relatively speaking the Atlas is inexpensive compared to some of the more recent bipods to hit the market. If you think it's pricey don't look at the Ckye or Elite Iron offerings. A Harris HBRS with Pod Lock and picatinny adapter is $170. I have three Atlas an Elite Iron and a couple upgraded Harris bipods. I like them all for different reason. If you can get a discount, then I'd be all over the Atlas.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I learned years ago that BT's Atlas is the way to go.
I have at least a half dozen of them on my rifles.
Cool

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a Harris for traditional hunting type bolt actions and a QD Atlas for everything else.

Just do it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I use a Harris for 5.56 shooting and the Atlas (with rotate & cant features) for .308 and up. The Atlas just feels so much more stable with the larger calibers.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Sigfreund, you are not helping...Wink

The problem I've always had when I settled for something less that what I wanted ... was that I still wanted what I wanted.

The only exception is I wanted a HK23e Beltfed to go with my sear ... at that time it was a mere $13,000.

I ended up shooting a buddy's and I wanted one even more ... still couldn't justify the price.
Bought a MCR upper for my M16 and it completely scratched the itch for about 1/4th the price ... but its the ONLY time!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just don’t know if it will make enough differenc when shooting ...I don’t shoot rifle competition and I don’t hunt anymore...

As so often occurs, shooters try to recommend items without really knowing your situation or goals. So....
- What rifle(s) do you use with a bipod?
- What function or situation that exists now do you wish to improve going forward?
- In what way do you feel your current bipod(s) hold you back?
- You state you don't compete or hunt. In what manner will you use a new bipod? Target types and distances. Expected accuracy. Shooting positions. Surface type you shoot from -- smooth or rough, soft or hard, bench or prone or barriers or improvised shooting positions.
- Do you move between shots? This means both the position(s) from which you shoot and your targets.
- What's your average shooting volume?
- Do you feel you control recoil well now? By that I mean that you gun doesn't jump up, down, right, or left from recoil -- and you can see you bullet impacts your targets.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I have an Atlas on my SSG 3000 and I managed to shear off the main stud that holds the leg on. I tried cheaper bipods but ended up kicking down for the Atlas. I was surprised that the bolt sheared. It is a duty gun, but its not like I throw the gun around hard on the bipod. I had to send the entire bipod back to the company. They fixed it. I had to pay shipping. They do stand behind the product if that helps anyone pay 300 bucks for a bipod.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I have an Atlas and a GGG bipod. I never use the GGG and the Atlas always gets used. It really is worth the money.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with Harris bipods, but over time migrated to Atlas. IMO the Atlas is clearly a superior bipod for precision/tactical-type competition. But the Atlas costs more.

This past weekend I got to see Thunderbeast and Ckye-Pod bipods in action within my squad. This was a two-day match, where we used both precision bolt action and carbines at each stage. Target distances were 10-400 yards for carbines and 300-900 yards for bolt guns.

The TBAC and Ckye are better bipods than the Atlas -- but they cost more, too. They have most of the features of the Atlas, however with greater height adjustment capabilities. Time will tell, but there's a good chance I will migrated to one or the other, as I move additional rifles to having Swiss Arca rails on the bottom of the hardguards.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat. Once I got my hands on a friend's Atlas, I was sold.

They are solid, well-made pieces of hardware.

Buy once, cry once.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
I just don’t know if it will make enough differenc when shooting ...I don’t shoot rifle competition and I don’t hunt anymore...

As so often occurs, shooters try to recommend items without really knowing your situation or goals. So....
- What rifle(s) do you use with a bipod?
- What function or situation that exists now do you wish to improve going forward?
- In what way do you feel your current bipod(s) hold you back?
- You state you don't compete or hunt. In what manner will you use a new bipod? Target types and distances. Expected accuracy. Shooting positions. Surface type you shoot from -- smooth or rough, soft or hard, bench or prone or barriers or improvised shooting positions.
- Do you move between shots? This means both the position(s) from which you shoot and your targets.
- What's your average shooting volume?
- Do you feel you control recoil well now? By that I mean that you gun doesn't jump up, down, right, or left from recoil -- and you can see you bullet impacts your targets.

Thanks Fritz for that.

Really I use a bipod on all my rifles, and I shoot from a bench mainly. What I don’t like right now is the hop. And it’s because of the feet, I cant load my bipod. I think I will bring a small board and nail it down to the bench and see if it helps my ability to load the bipod and then if that will help with the recoil...as of now I cannot see my shots because the rifle is recoiling and hopping.....I want the atlas for these reasons:
The feet won’t roll
The feet will be able to bite into the bench( I plan on getting spikes)
I will be able to load the bipod

( as mentioned, I’m gonna experiment with a stop on the bench to see if I can load the Harris bipod and if that will solve my issues)

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
The feet will be able to bite into the bench( I plan on getting spikes)

If you are planning to get spikes (which I prefer for most situations), I recommend looking at the ones by Hawk Hill Custom.

I have them and the original BT Atlas long spikes and except for deep snow (or perhaps soft sand—I haven’t tried them on that), I prefer the HHC style. The central spikes are long enough for most surfaces and the “talons” off to the sides are useful if trying to rest on a steeply-sloping surface where the central spikes would tend to slip.

If one just wants the central spikes, there seem to be any number of knockoffs that will work. It’s necessary to be wary of counterfeit Atlas bipods, but the simple spike feet can probably be made by anyone and still function okay.

As for bench work, a stop can be fastened in place temporarily with a board and couple of carpenter clamps.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post