SIGforum
I'd like a 9mm carbine --- Ruger PC9? ..others?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6530078764

March 22, 2020, 05:57 AM
r0gue
I'd like a 9mm carbine --- Ruger PC9? ..others?
I have a Glock-19, a handful of mags, and plenty of ammo. It occurs to that I'd be more comfortable with a 9mm carbine in the house as well. I'm open to suggestions on which, but the PC9 came recommended due to the mag compatibility. I watched a few Hickok45 YouTube videos. One where it didn't work, and one where it did. DO they have a bad rep?

Is there a better 9mm carbine if I forgo the mag compatibility feature?

THANKS!

March 22, 2020, 07:01 AM
sjp
Keltec sub 2000.
March 22, 2020, 07:08 AM
sourdough44
I’m not a big Keltec guy, but that one mentioned above gets great reviews for the $$.
March 22, 2020, 07:10 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Is there a better 9mm carbine if I forgo the mag compatibility feature?

Potentially. The Ruger PC9 generally gets good reviews. But there are at least two other options worth considering.

If you already have a lot of experience/training with the AR-15, there are good options for 9mm ARs. And you don't necessarily have to forego Glock magazine compatibility, since they generally fall into two types: those that use Colt stick magazines, and those that use Glock magazines. The primary benefits of the 9mm AR over the Ruger PC are that you don't have to train with a new platform if you're already used to the AR-15, and nearly all AR accessories are compatible so there's a huge amount of aftermarket support to set it up exactly like you want.

The second good option is the CZ Scorpion. It's a fantastic 9mm carbine, available in both a 16" barrel rifle format as well as a shorter 7.75" barrel braced pistol format, depending on what you need/want. Out of the box it's a good gun and perfectly usable, but there's a decent amount of aftermarket support and the addition of a few aftermarket options (namely trigger springs, safety levers, and grip) take it from good to great. It doesn't use Glock magazines, but Scorpion magazines are inexpensive (sub-$20), durable, and plentiful, and a double stack double feed magazine like the Scorpion's presents some advantages for 9mm carbine design over Glock's double stack single feed magazine.

Personally, if I needed a 9mm carbine for home defense, I'd go with a Scorpion pistol with a brace. Mine has a factory folding stock mechanism paired with a Tailhook brace, and presents a short, handy little package with everything you'd need for home defense.

But as stated, they're also available in 16" rifle format, if so desired.

March 22, 2020, 07:29 AM
gibby29
I love my CMMG Banshee/Guard. It’s the best of the AR pattern PCCs because it doesn’t use a direct blowback system. It uses a radially delayed blowback that makes it almost as soft a shooter as an MP5.

It GLOCK mag compatibility is your goal, that’s my suggestion.
March 22, 2020, 08:23 AM
Spiff_P239
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
I love my CMMG Banshee/Guard. It’s the best of the AR pattern PCCs because it doesn’t use a direct blowback system. It uses a radially delayed blowback that makes it almost as soft a shooter as an MP5.

It GLOCK mag compatibility is your goal, that’s my suggestion.

I really regret selling my Banshee pistol. It was a very soft shooter and extremely accurate with a red dot mounted.
March 22, 2020, 08:53 AM
remsig
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
Keltec sub 2000.

The Sub 2000 is my favorite 9mm carbine. I had a CZ Scorpion as well but once I got my Kel Tec I ended up trading away the Scorpion because I liked the Kel Tec so much.

I have the Glock version, which take Glock 17 mags.

March 22, 2020, 10:05 AM
CQB60
I had the Scorpion, broke a few mags and didn’t care for the mag design. I have a standard Ruger PC9. Have configured it for use with Glock mags and make use from the extended ones. Accuracy is as good as the ammo you use and On average, you can get about a 10% bump in velocity with both 115 & 124gr. I wasn’t as impressed with the 147grn. Trigger is ok & I like the take down capability. The stock is solid. I prefer the open sights to a red dot.

March 22, 2020, 12:42 PM
Shadowboxer
I have an H&K SP5K. It is amazing to shoot. Tough to come by though.

------------------------------------------------------------

Proud to be in Texas!
March 22, 2020, 01:10 PM
smschulz
My Beretta CX4 is a lot of fun and it takes my 92 mags. Cool
March 22, 2020, 01:25 PM
10X-Shooter
Seen this?
https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCharger/models.html

I have a B&T APC9 and GHM9 and a Stribog and wholeheartedly endorse all of them but if you’re on a budget I’d look at the Stribog, CZ Scorpion, Ruger Charger, or evening a Keltec Sub2000 (although I personally don’t have much confidence in KelTec). I keep the Stribog loaded and rapidly accessible. It’s been as accurate as the B&T’s and as reliable. Keep the mags loaded and have had zero problems.
March 22, 2020, 01:29 PM
BigSwede
I have an original PC9 and 4, fun to shoot but heavy. I have a Scorpion pistol with a brace, fun to shoot as well but bulky.

What I have in my truck is a sub 2000 that takes Beretta 92 mags, it lives folded, inside a small laptop bag. They do make a red dot mount for it that can still allow it to be folded, I haven't seen the need though

March 22, 2020, 02:04 PM
redlickranch
My favorite now is my Sig MPX with a Sig red dot. I also have a Spikes AR 9mm that takes Glock mags and a Colt 9mm AR as well. All are fun to shoot it really comes down to what gun feels right for you. For me I don't like the feel of either the Kel-tec or CZ carbines, but I am sure both will go bang. I have never shot the Ruger 9, but seems heavy to me when I picked it up at my local shop.

NRA Life Member

March 22, 2020, 03:38 PM
hrcjon
If glock mags is what you need then lots of stuff suggested is out. And some of the suggestions would be my last choice for home defense if that's what you meant by "in the house" (like an HK SP5K, for example). Most of the people I know that shoot the Ruger at PCC matches are pretty happy. I've never had a Keltec product that was any good (and I've several tries at it). Me personally if the Ruger isn't OK I think the best option is an AR9 with a glock mag lower. priced very well and pretty universal in terms of things like triggers, stocks, etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
March 22, 2020, 03:46 PM
r0gue
Lots more choices than I'd have guessed. The G19 is my in home defense. And would be carried if I thought I needed it. The carbine would be for if things got far more ugly. Which I pray is not the case. Either way, a little more long gun, but not a full rifle rig, and able to eat the ammo I have -- that's what I'm after.

March 22, 2020, 03:52 PM
Todd Huffman
Look at the AK-V from Palmetto State. Extra 35 round mags are $14 and they’re a blast to shoot.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...lack-5165450175.html

That’s the one I got. It was about $750 before the madness began.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
March 22, 2020, 04:10 PM
hrcjon
If by "eat the ammo I have" you mean that it only has to be 9mm. Then there are a zillion choices. But given you already have a glock I can't see any reason why you wouldn't make it take glock mags which reduces the field somewhat but absent other factors has no downside. I know you said carbine, but in 9mm a 16" barrel really doesn't do much and once you shoot a braced pistol you will instantly conclude that's better overall around the house or in any other situation. So I would focus on 9mm braced pistols that take glock mags. There is a new ruger that would be a contender (no experience personally as it just arrived, but I would expect it to be the same as the carbine one), AR-9's with a glock magwell, which vary alot, but I happen to think the CMMG is the best of those, and then upwards to things like the B&T with a glock lower which are much better guns, but also pretty pricey. I personally think the sweet spot on this is a basic glock mag ar9. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through several. A factory one will have few teething issues, and the aftermarket is unbelievable as is true with all things AR> I'm an addict in these 9mm things and there are so many good choices that it really depends on your priorities about price, mag, support, parts, aftermarket, etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
March 23, 2020, 01:10 AM
4x5
I've been considering a Ruger PC9 as well, but most of the videos I've seen of the gun, there's usually a failure of some kind. For those that have them, how reliable are they?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
March 23, 2020, 02:52 AM
YooperSigs
^^^^^ My Ruger has been 100% thus far. I use Glock mags in mine. I have about 500 rounds through it thus far. At 50 yards, it tore a large rat hole in the target about the size of the bottom of a soda can. My only complaints are it is somewhat heavy and delightfully ugly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
March 23, 2020, 09:42 AM
rlbuzz
Here's another vote for the PSA AKV9. Mine has been 100% reliable and it's highly accurate. It can be had with metal furniture, wood furniture of various finishes, a variety of braces and it will accept just about any sight available.

All that plus it's reasonably priced and it uses an inexpensive 35 round magazine. I guess this is technically a pistol, but it's close enough to be considered a carbine for all practical purposes.