SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Army Reveals Timeline for Fielding New Infantry Weapons"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Army Reveals Timeline for Fielding New Infantry Weapons" Login/Join 
posted
The link has a photo of an M249 SAW and linked 5.56.

https://www.military.com/daily...nfantry-weapons.html

Army Reveals Timeline for Fielding New Infantry Weapons

17 Jul 2019
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The Army general in charge of modernizing soldier lethality said recently he is confident that the service will begin replacing both M249 squad automatic weapons and the M4 carbines in infantry brigades in 2023.

Army testers are currently shooting the first 6.8mm rounds through a variety of rifle and automatic rifle prototypes of the Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, Brig. Gen. David Hodne told Military.com at a June 16 Army Futures Command media event.

The service's goal is to select a final design for both weapons from a single provider in the first quarter of 2022 and begin replacing M4s and M249s in an infantry brigade combat team (IBCT) in the first quarter of 2023, said Hodne, director of the Army's Soldier Lethality Cross Functional Team.

"We are going to do both," he said, explaining the Army won't be sure how long it will take to equip that first IBCT until it can evaluate the winner's production capability.

"The first unit equipped spans a period of months, and that first unit equipped will include both [weapons]," Hodne said.

The NGSW effort is part of the modernization strategy being orchestrated by Army Futures Command (AFC). Based in Austin, Texas, the command will reach full operating capability as of July 31, AFC Commander Gen. Mike Murray told reporters at the event.

Both the NGSW carbine and automatic rifle are being designed to fire a special, government-designed 6.8mm projectile that Army leaders say will penetrate modern enemy body armor at greater distances than the current M855A1 5.56mm Enhanced Performance Round.

The Army intends to conduct live-fire tests on NGSW prototypes from several gun makers until August, when it is scheduled to select up to three vendors that will move to the next phase of testing, Hodne said.

The August down-select will involve the companies that participated in the Army's second prototyping opportunity notice (PON), released in January, that directed gun makers to develop prototypes of both the rifle and auto rifle versions of the NGSW to ensure both work with the common 6.8mm projectile.

Army officials would not release the names of the companies chosen to make prototypes for the second PON effort.

Last July, the service awarded contracts for the first PON effort to several companies, but that effort involved only prototypes for the automatic rifle version of the NGSW.

"We learned a lot in this process. ... Industry took a very hard problem, and they have developed some very innovative solutions," Hodne said. "The first prototyping opportunity notice was centered around an automatic rifle. What we learned was -- to get the best rifle and the best automatic rifle -- we realized the approach had to be centered around a common cartridge that was supportable by both systems."

The Army left it up to vendors to design the type of 6.8mm cartridge they wanted to use in their prototypes, Hodne said, adding that some gun makers went with "traditional bottleneck" brass cartridges while others used newer, case-telescoped cartridges.

Another part of the NGSW effort is the advanced fire control system, which is being designed to calculate range to target, atmospheric conditions, and the ballistics of both weapon and ammunition, according to the May 30 prototype opportunity notice.

The Army expects to receive fire-control prototypes sometime in October, according to Brig. Gen. Anthony Potts, commander of Program Executive Office Soldier.

"People as, 'Is the technology going to be there?' " Potts said. "The answer is yes. ... I am very enthused about next generation squad weapon ... it's not just an evolution in capability. It's a revolution in capability. It really will change the lethality of our squads."

-- Matthew Cox can be reached at matthew.cox@military.com.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
10 years from now, Army Times will be telling us all about the next competition to replace the M4 and M249... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see this one going through. The fire control tech caught up and it seems they are OK with a conventional firearm not a futuristic caseless + 20mm combo robo-rifle.

The problem before (as seen with the SCAR-16 and HK 416) is that any replacement has to be not just better than an M4 (and/or 249), but significantly better enough to justify the billions in cost. The SCAR
/ HK are great carbines, just not better enough...still a 5.56 with current fire control aka toss a CCO or ACOG in it.

Now that the Army is committed to a new caliber, combine that with a little better weapon and an evolution in fire control, that combo is worth the transition cost.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The only thing the Army has surprised me with was procuring a 9mm subgun then actually going through with it in the first place....and choosing B&T.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
evolution in fire control

Can you expand on what you mean here? How are these new platforms advancing fire control? I haven't been keeping up with developments, as I take a pretty cynical view of the Army's small arms modernization programs. I was "in" from 1992 to 1995, and there was a constant discussion of the "new Army rifle" even back then when the M4 was in limited release to SOF and drivers and the rest of us had M16A2s.

Other than a new 6.8 caliber, what is the real difference in the proposed new arms?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope all the branches go to the 6.8; I for one would love to see a glut of 5.56 hit the market (but not holding my breath).

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
A glut of 5.56 on the civvie market would be funsies. I'm not really looking forward to having to acquire another weapon and accessories, and stock a new caliber and mags, to train with.

Who am I kidding... I'll love doing all of that. My wallet won't, and neither will my patience while we all hop up and down waiting for the semi-auto commercial variant to hit shelves.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I hope all the branches go to the 6.8; I for one would love to see a glut of 5.56 hit the market (but not holding my breath).

We will never move away from the 5.56 round. Could you imagine how pissed other smaller NATO countries would be?

France just adopted a new 5.56 rifle. England is still having HK modernize their bullpup.

We definitely need a better round. But I dont see it happening any time soon.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think it'll be a specialized thing to start; with the majority of troops still getting the M4 / 5.56 weapons.

I know Trump has turned on the $$$-spigot to the military, but I don't know how long it'll last and if small arms are something they'll spend the money on.

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Can you expand on what you mean here?
Agreed, that seems to be the new buzzword; unless we are talking integrated optics with real time self computing impact points, I won't be impressed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Can you expand on what you mean here?
Agreed, that seems to be the new buzzword; unless we are talking integrated optics with real time self computing impact points, I won't be impressed.

That is what they are talking about and there is a civilian scope out now that does it. This is what I meant by the tech catching up, it is already on the market (but cost a small fortune).

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post