SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR15 Brass Catcher Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 Brass Catcher Recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The cheaper ones the velcro on just forward of the receiver tend to sag, and then jam rounds in the ejection port. Cheaper catchers tend to have bag materials that won't withstand the heat of spent brass.

I've seen the 3Bucc model work well in shoot-&-move competitions. Same with the Tactical Brass Recovery model, although it costs more.

Some of the commercial models require specific locations of free rail space above the ejection port. Some long, one-piece scope mounts (such as LaRue, GG&G, Nightforce) cover virtually all the rail space above the ejection port.

I see a number of home-grown catchers out there -- using baseball caps, rubber strips, and a little ingenuity.

I checked out the Tactical Brass model. At first I got a bit of sticker shock, then I watched a review by Lone Star Boars and I am sold.
https://youtu.be/hD5LvFnGx_Y

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Todd of Lone Star Boars knows a thing or two about brass catchers. I have the Tactical Brass catcher. Excellent value that will never wear out. And my wildcat loads like my 270AR, they don't melt the material like with the cheaper models. I think I have the first version. I use mine only for hunting. When shooting off a bench, I use a net brass catcher I got off Midway.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
Todd of Lone Star Boars knows a thing or two about brass catchers. I have the Tactical Brass catcher. Excellent value that will never wear out. And my wildcat loads like my 270AR, they don't melt the material like with the cheaper models. I think I have the first version. I use mine only for hunting. When shooting off a bench, I use a net brass catcher I got off Midway.

Todd does more shooting than I could ever dream of doing and all of his Equipment is top notch from a practical standpoint. Lucky SOB!

Thank you for your feedback. I think the Tactical makes a ton of sense for hunting and in motion shooting.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I also have one. Works as advertised, I have no complaints.

I use this on both my 300BLK pistol and rifle. Generally they've been reliable, but I agree with Tompow that it's a wear item design that will need replacing at some point down the road.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I also have one. Works as advertised, I have no complaints.

I use this on both my 300BLK pistol and rifle. Generally they've been reliable, but I agree with Tompow that it's a wear item design that will need replacing at some point down the road.

Thank you.