SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR15 Brass Catcher Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 Brass Catcher Recommendations Login/Join 
posted
What do you like in brass catchers?

I have an Aero Precision upper receiver, Aero Precision extended scope mount, and Seekins Precision MLok rail. Running 6.8 SPC, so brass has some real value.

Thanks!

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've got one of these mesh calapsable laundry baskets I lay on it's side on the bench next to me...if it's close and positioned correctly it catches pretty much everything...I do lay an old scrunched up towel on the bottom to keep brass from bouncing out...

Mines not exactly like this one (no pockets)...but you get the idea...it's cheap and it beats crawling around under the tables wrangling brass...

https://www.amazon.com/SimpleH...+mesh+laundry+basket

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also have one. Works as advertised, I have no complaints.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No interference with scope or mount?

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
quote:

If you read the product description, that's one of the primary selling features they focus on.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went down this road... has an occasional issue with the brass not quite clearing and getting caught in the port....also after time the coating wears off on the nylon and will melt a little from the brass being too hot...

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
Went down this road... has an occasional issue with the brass not quite clearing and getting caught in the port....also after time the coating wears off on the nylon and will melt a little from the brass being too hot...

Good to know, thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
quote:

If you read the product description, that's one of the primary selling features they focus on.

I ask, because sometimes the real world experiences are different from marketing information.

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I ask, because sometimes the real world experiences are different from marketing information.

Mounting can be an issue with scope mounts such as a Burris PEPR that eat up large portions of your rail.

If you are running a RDS it shouldn't be an issue. I use one on my 300 BO pistol because I really don't want to lose any of that brass. The bag is adjustable as to where it mounts also. I think it works quite well.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:

I love mine. Works awesome and you can buy the rail attachments separately and swap it out between multiple rifles super easily. It doesn't get in the way of any controls or anything. Highly recommend it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of the cheap Velcro on ones and it would cause malfunctions when I shot by preventing the brass from clearing the ejection port. So I recommend making sure that your catcher doesn't hang or droop into the port.
I got frustrated and ditched the catcher and just laid out a tarp by the ejection port. I probably lost some brass, but I found enough that I was happy. However, that method will probably not work at most ranges.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I took a brass deflector that was designed for the railed upper and install it between the scope mount and the rail. It's not a catcher, but it does make a nice pile about three feet to my right.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cheaper ones the velcro on just forward of the receiver tend to sag, and then jam rounds in the ejection port. Cheaper catchers tend to have bag materials that won't withstand the heat of spent brass.

I've seen the 3Bucc model work well in shoot-&-move competitions. Same with the Tactical Brass Recovery model, although it costs more.

Some of the commercial models require specific locations of free rail space above the ejection port. Some long, one-piece scope mounts (such as LaRue, GG&G, Nightforce) cover virtually all the rail space above the ejection port.

I see a number of home-grown catchers out there -- using baseball caps, rubber strips, and a little ingenuity.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I use a 5 gallon bucket placed where the brass lands. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

One very important point -- will you be shooting from a stationary position (maybe bench/prone) or will you be shooting on the move? Shooting on the move decidedly reduces the options.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the Caldwell brass catcher for 300 BO brass. I just make sure to empty it after each magazine.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I also have one. Works as advertised, I have no complaints.

Yep, same here. Have used it on SCARs, MPX, and AR15s.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Same experience with the Caldwell. It just works. Every mag I empty it out and reseat it. Simple and works the way you'd want it to.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

One very important point -- will you be shooting from a stationary position (maybe bench/prone) or will you be shooting on the move? Shooting on the move decidedly reduces the options.

On the move for both range play (my own backyard range) and hunting. I do very little shooting from a bench and no prone.

The Caldwell looks like it would be good to go, even when moving.