SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cheapest American Made Red Dot?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest American Made Red Dot? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Just looking for something simple to pop on a Ruger 10/22 to do some plinking.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25398 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The only Made in USA red dots that I can think of are the Trijicon and Leupold offerings, and they're not cheap.

All of the cheaper red dots are going to be made in China, including Holosun, Sig, Bushnell, Primary Arms, Vortex, etc.

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Having recently been in the market for a Red Dot I read various sources about them. Here's an article on cheap Red Dots - can't say if they're American made but they're cheap enough that one might fit what you're looking for.

Red Dots under $100

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly American made optics of any sort and especially red dots are mostly a thing of the past unless you want to spend big money.
Trijicon and leupold Az mentioned I am not sure if crimson trace optic products are made in USA either. Aimpoint is Swedish and the vast majority of optics are made in China, though some vortex and high end athlon brands are made in Japan or Philippines

Posts: 3281 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK its not american, but just get an Aimpoint. I know it sounds silly but they literally last forever. I have 20+ yo aimpoints that I use on lesser projects like a plinker 10/22. Still run mint and work just the same as any modern red dot. This whole chinese optic idea needs to stop. and the net extra upfront investment versus to buy some chinese crap will be returned year after year.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
This whole chinese optic idea needs to stop. and the net extra upfront investment versus to buy some chinese crap will be returned year after year.

I would never use them on a gun intended for serious use, but cheap Chinese red dots have their place. I use them on my fun guns, intended for range use only. The OP's plinker 10/22 is a perfect rifle for one; there's no need to spring for an Aimpoint for that.

I've had excellent results from the Primary Arms red dots over the years, all of which are made in China. I've owned about 7 of them over the last decade plus. (I think my oldest one is from like 2009 or so.) And they've been great and utterly reliable, on my range guns. Plus I haven't spent more than about $120 on any of them, and that's only on the fanciest couple, with most of them being earlier models that I got for like $60-$80 each several years ago.

So for the price of one Aimpoint (which is what I use on my all serious-use rifles), the cheapest of which run you ~$400, I outfitted like 4 or 5 plinkers with cheap red dots.

I'm all for "buy once, cry once" when it matters. But on a 10/22 plinker, it just doesn't matter.

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
Just buy a used Aimpoint PRO. Not American, but honestly better than the American made offerings.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C-more still manufactures their red dots here. Not dirt cheap pricing like the Bushnell TRS-25, bottom-feeding TruGlo crap or any of the countless no-name units on Amazon, eBay or other questionable sources. But definitely less costly than Trijicon or Leupold. Their Railway series start at a little above $200, most places. Highly regarded, especially for use on a plinker 22LR rifle.

As for Primary's red dots; I see that they almost always get great reviews. But the one time I tried one (bought new about 5 yrs ago at Rainier Arms, of all places), that POS stunk it up to high heaven. It held zero fine but would refuse to stay on with recoil. At first I thought it might be the fitting of the battery, but via switch it would come back on every time, no jostling needed. But take another shot, instant off. Might have been a one-off defective (or not), but for sure it certainly was made in the PRC. Then tried it on my 15-22; performed a little better there. Only shuts off every 6th to 10th shot. Yeah, like I'm willing to try another of Primary's optics ever again.

-MG

Posts: 1962 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe U.S. optics products are made in the USA

I wish I would have got one of their Red dots to try when I was in AFG.

I bought a Meopta MRAD and had it shipped to me.
I liked it but it was a tad too small and a little fragile for MRAP dismount work.

I think I just took to my Aimpoint CompM4 but now the prices are insane.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The US Optics TSR-1X looks like it may fit the bill.
Not silly expensive
https://www.usoptics.com/product/tsr-1x/

————————————————

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Anyone try the Leupold LCO? Kind of pricey, but curious to see if anyone has any input on it. It's in the same price range as the Aimpoint.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5390 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The US Optics TSR-1X looks like it may fit the bill.
Not silly expensive
https://www.usoptics.com/product/tsr-1x/

Honestly not sure they are made here, assembled yes, on their website they don’t out right say “made in USA” they kinda dance around it.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3638 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at one of the Leupold RDS (Red Dot Site) myself. But may be a bit much for a 22.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...red-dot-sight-1x34mm

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
I have been looking at one of the Leupold RDS (Red Dot Site) myself. But may be a bit much for a 22.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...red-dot-sight-1x34mm

True, but I intend to put it on a AR pistol I just built. I can't find any other red dot in stock through my distributors. Aimpoint and the Trijicon MRO are nowhere to be found. The only quality red-dot I can find in stock is the Leupold RDS, but I haven't heard anything about them.

Tony.

Posts: 5390 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Worth a watch...

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
That Leupold rd is fugly too, who designed it and for who were they thinking about? The price point is about Aimpoint, so if you are going to compete with the best at least try.

David W.

Posts: 3638 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
who designed it and for who were they thinking about?

Apparently they are going after the "stuck in 90s" segment of the shooting market. Big Grin

My first thought when I saw it was that it looked like the early pre-Comp Aimpoint red dot models from the 1990s, like the 2000/3000/5000/7000/etc., sometimes seen in use with high speed guys on carry handle carbines.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Guess I am weird. I find the aesthetics of the Leupold far more appealing that something like the US Optics I posted earlier.

Though the rear lens popping off like that is not good.

————————————————

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I guess in 15 years or so the Leupold will be where Aimpoint is now Big Grin

David W.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Guess I am weird. I find the aesthetics of the Leupold far more appealing that something like the US Optics I posted earlier.

Though the rear lens popping off like that is not good.

That was disheartening to see. Especially since their headquarters and my job are only separated by 500 feet with a freeway between us. We've had some optics engineers from my company work for them before. I wanted so badly to like that red dot.

And for the price of the other red dot, the LCO, I may as well get an Aimpoint when they're available.

I noticed American Defense has a reasonably priced red dot called the SPEK, but they don't say where it's made.

https://www.americandefenseman...oduct-p/rd-t1-lo.htm

Tony.

Tony.