SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rem 742 .30-06 carbine, reliable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 742 .30-06 carbine, reliable? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Found one locally for sale with six (new) ten round mags and the original four rounder.

I suspect it will sell for cheap, and a shortish ought six semi-auto kinda gives me tingles.

We all know of Remington's QC issues, but anyone have experience with this model that can weigh in on reliability?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
They are horrible in the accuracy department. I have one and have only shot it a few times. It was my fathers. They were popular for a short time and will work for close range, but don’t expect MOA. I also don’t expect the 10 round mags to be reliable.

Replacement parts are hard to find. The actions are rough compared to the Browning BAR.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
My Dad and I each bought one close to 40 years ago. Dad has taken a few deer with his, I haven't shot mine in at least 35 years, it's still in my Dads gun cabinet. I don't remember ever having any issue with the OEM magazine that came with it.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
They are literally called "742 Jam-Masters."

That said, they have probably been responsible for killing 10 million deer in the 60 years since it was introduced. My Dad is responsible for 100 or so of those but he hasn't shot that gun in nearly 20 years probably.

Not particularly accurate and are known for malfunctions, though not sure it was because of the mag design. If they have been shot a lot, the aluminum rails bolt rails wear out. The extractor is also known for being kind of weak and leaving spent shells in the chamber.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I inherited my dad's 740 carbine. I had all kinds of thoughts of taking it hunting, those quickly diminished after the first trip to the range with it. It ran without any hiccups but the accuracy is atrocious. First round is constantly 8" low at 100 yards with the 2nd and 3rd rounds actually producing something resembling a group.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Alrighty then, that should do it.
Thanks for the warnings, I'll pass.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Poor accuracy. Poor reliability. Poor durability.

A poor choice for a rifle.

If you're just wanting a cheap hunting rifle, there are numerous good options for modern budget (~$300ish) bolt rifles that offer excellent accuracy and better reliability/durability.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
one local gunsmith I know loves to hate them,

they will run like a top all day and twice on sunday IF you keep them clean, , very clean, and lubricated,

so he makes a good part of his income fixing them each hunting season cause no one seems to clean them like they need,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad bought one back in the 70's. It was his only rifle for deer and elk hunts until he got a 7mm Ruger bolt action. I used it on a few elk hunts in the early 90's. It was well maintained so we never had any reliability problems but it was nothing special in the accuracy department. There are far better options out there.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I thought they were nearly impossible to take apart to clean, so that’s why people don’t keep them maintained. It’s that rifle that is built on the 870 pattern, right?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a pump version that somewhat mimics the 870.
Model 760. Later 7600.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I thought they were nearly impossible to take apart to clean, so that’s why people don’t keep them maintained. It’s that rifle that is built on the 870 pattern, right?

Built on the 1100.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
There is a pump version that somewhat mimics the 870.
Model 760. Later 7600.

I inherited a 760 in .257 Roberts which sits in the veeeery back of the closet. Great cartridge, but sadly the lack of accuracy keeps it from seeing the range often.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Run away from that junk,I still have scars on my right arm from one that blew up thirty years ago
The bolt failed to completely close and when I fired it it lit off two additional rounds in the mag.
It is one me that sighting from bench I was suppose to look at each bolt closing.
Burning gun powder burning in the flesh sucks along with the other pieces.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My shop will not take them in trade. The chamber gets dirty or rusty and the extractor will pull off leaving the case in the chamber. I can replace the extractor, which is riveted in . but no guarantee on repair. It is a pain to fully dissemble. The barrel has to be removed to take the bolt out. Then things start falling off the bolt. It can be reassembled without the cam pin. The plastic dust cover will break. etc.

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with mine. I bought it in the 80s from the MI DNR. It was a poachers gun. I did have issues but if I run it with one in the chamber and two in the mag I don't have problems. Not the most accurate of my guns. Mine groups 1.75 inches at 100 yards.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
First time I've ever seen these posted here. I have hunted with the 06 auto and a .308 pump both. Kinda liked the .308 better. I recall the 06 rifles front sling swival giving way as I was walking with it shouldered and its bead front sight plowing into the ground. I fired 4 rounds across a open field, I bet 500 yards and a buck just stood out there with others looking back at me. The rifle was loaned to me by a high school friend. The .308 pump was more accurate and reliable. Also had a neighbor who tried to trade me his 06 auto for my unfired Vangaurd. Nope.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must have the only good one ever made lol.

It was the first gun I ever bought from a guy back in 1997, but it was quite a bit older than that.

I've not had a single issue with my little 742. The thing is built like a tank and shoots good enough groups for deer in Michigan (3" or so) at 100 yds.

I've heard lots of bad about them, but it's always my go to gun for deer season. It's compact, recoil is decent, and it always hits it's mark.

Must be a few good ones out there but I guess it's a gamble finding one.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I done jinxed myself.

I took my 742 to the range today for it's post cleaning pre hunt function check.

First 4 shots were good, on target in a few inches of one another at 100 yds. Decided to shoot a few more and that's when things went wonky. Next magazine wasn't even on the 10" target! Put up a larger target and found they were down and right about 12".

Have a couple possible culprits as the second magazine was a different box of ammo, and also did some pretty big temp swings with the gun today as it was quite cold out today.

Going to re-check it tomorrow, but hope it was just a fluke.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^ make sure that bolt is closed 100% each time you fire it.
They will fire with it 3/8 inch open on every one I have seen.Debre in locking lugs are the cause of it and almost impossible with this design to clean.
Do this test on yours Just to be safe

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post