SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rem 742 .30-06 carbine, reliable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 742 .30-06 carbine, reliable? Login/Join 
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Well I done jinxed myself.

I took my 742 to the range today for it's post cleaning pre hunt function check.

First 4 shots were good, on target in a few inches of one another at 100 yds. Decided to shoot a few more and that's when things went wonky. Next magazine wasn't even on the 10" target! Put up a larger target and found they were down and right about 12".

Have a couple possible culprits as the second magazine was a different box of ammo, and also did some pretty big temp swings with the gun today as it was quite cold out today.

Going to re-check it tomorrow, but hope it was just a fluke.

^^^^^ Hot barrel with different ammo could be the culprit also.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
^ make sure that bolt is closed 100% each time you fire it.
They will fire with it 3/8 inch open on every one I have seen.Debre in locking lugs are the cause of it and almost impossible with this design to clean.
Do this test on yours Just to be safe

Thanks 45cal. I keep an eye on this after you warned me about what happened with yours before. Read of a few other times this has happened to others.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Well I done jinxed myself.

I took my 742 to the range today for it's post cleaning pre hunt function check.

First 4 shots were good, on target in a few inches of one another at 100 yds. Decided to shoot a few more and that's when things went wonky. Next magazine wasn't even on the 10" target! Put up a larger target and found they were down and right about 12".

Have a couple possible culprits as the second magazine was a different box of ammo, and also did some pretty big temp swings with the gun today as it was quite cold out today.

Going to re-check it tomorrow, but hope it was just a fluke.

^^^^^ Hot barrel with different ammo could be the culprit also.

Went back and shot it again today with similar results. First shot was within an inch of bull at 100 yds. Next 7 were variable from 8" low to 1" low. Started reading a bunch about it and it sounds like this is a known issue related to the barrels on these guns.

Weird thing with mine is that it was solid for 22 years and then out of the blue started doing this.

Took my Tikka T3 with me to see if it was possibly me, and it was right on. Putting out good groups effortlessly. Guess it's going to deer camp with me this year. The 742 is retired until I can figure this out. Granted the 1st shot yesterday and today would have been "kill" shots, but I just hate not being fully confident in a guns performance in the woods.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post