SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Nikon Monarch 3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarch 3 Login/Join 
posted
Any opinions on the Nikon Monarch 3 (3-12 x 42).

I have a chance to pick up a used one at what I think is a pretty good price. Anything to worry about?

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Binocs? I have a pair of Monarch binoculars, plenty good 'for the price'.

Just check the real used prices on fleabay & such to see what kind of deal it is. We don't all need $1200 binoculars.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Think he is asking about a rifle scooe.

Nikon has good warranty service and I believe the Monarch is about their top line. I wouldn't be afraid of buying one used.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Monarch is indeed near the top or at the top of the line.

The Monarch 3 series is noted for its brightness and high degree of light transmission. The one you are looking at has a 95% light transmission factor and 60MOA of internal adjustment. Its MSRP is in the high $400 to mid-$500 depending on the reticle.

It has a side focus and neat adjustment knobs. This would be a great all around scope and especially good for hunting at dawn or dusk.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love the Monarch5 ED I just put on my Tikka. Easily one of the clearest scopes I've used.
Definitely glad I spent the extra for the Monarch over the Prostaff or Buckmasters.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Monarch 5 is special, because of that ED glass. But the 3, at least on paper, appears to be a great buy also, especially for the clarity.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I had hoped for.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P25, I agree 100% with you. Nikon's MONARCH 5 Series of scope with their ED glass is pretty amazing. I used a 3-15 last year hunting in KS and harvested a nice buck and doe with 2 long shots. A few buddies are also using the MONARCH 5 scopes after checking out mine. Twice I have been to my local big box retailer and I have yet to see a MONARCH 5 scope so they must be selling pretty well.

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You Monarch 5 guys are starting to really cheese me off. I paid over $3000 for my current F-TR riflescope with ED glass and here you are getting ED glass in $500 scopes.

BTW, Bart940, there's something very wrong with your rifle; the bolt is on the wrong side. You need to get that fixed before you get hurt.

posted Hide Post
quote:
posted June 10, 2017 08:14 PM Hide Post
You Monarch 5 guys are starting to really cheese me off. I paid over $3000 for my current F-TR riflescope with ED glass and here you are getting ED glass in $500 scopes.

BTW, Bart940, there's something very wrong with your rifle; the bolt is on the wrong side. You need to get that fixed before you get hurt.

Nikon's ED glass is pretty amazing! Of course you really have to look down the tube outside to fully appreciate the quality and value.

I'm working on getting that bolt back where it's supposed to be, for the time being it looks like it's stuck in that position.

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post