SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Preferred Upgrades to AR-15?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred Upgrades to AR-15? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
a[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I also like the Inforce WML series, which are also designed specifically for long guns. However, their primary drawback is their polymer cases. I've actually had one of mine crack, although that's reportedly due to a bad polymer batch and not something that's common. But the TLR-RMs have aluminum bodies.

https://inforce-mil.com/products#rifle-lights

*Note that these RM and WML units are lights only. A visible laser has very limited usefulness on a rifle. (And only slightly less limited usefulness on a handgun.) Most lasers that you see installed on rifles are going to be Infrared lasers, for use with night vision goggles.

I love my Inforce WML. Rugged, reliable, and got it at a good price. It's on my duty AR and gets used and abused all the time. Hasn't failed me yet.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Here’s what I have done to my AR15s.

-smaller diameter free foot tube from Midwest Industries-because I like the smaller tube

-tritium front sight post- I opted out of the rear one as it will blind you at night and I index my nose against the charging handle like I was taught in the service, so my head and eye is always in the same place

-hogue grip- I deplore where the finger bumps on an standard AR15, and the Hogue is a little bigger around

-small rail at 6:00 on the end of the tube to hang a small pistol light- my former department required a light on the gun to positively identify targets, and it makes good sense

-CMC drop in trigger- I did this after I retired as my weapon at work had to be unaltered- I like the better trigger for all the reasons you get one-wait till midway has them on sale

-two point standard USGI green nylon sling, not just for carry but to sling into for prone shooting if time allows- much smaller groups

Lastly,

-qd brake/compensator for my Sig 762QD can-just because.

My AR pistol has a C-more red dot, a LAW folding adapter on the recoil tube, and I have the DOLOS Pantheon barrel quick detachment to swap calibers to 300BLK from 5.56, and the QD brake for the Sig can..

300BLK stays in black mags, 5.56 for USGI mags

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11277 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have three ars and all had upgraded triggers in them.

that would be my first upgrade.

I'm a southpaw so ambi safeties, charging handles and a geisle martiime bolt release!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what you might be using it for. If its a fun gun, then have fun and do anything.
If you consider it a serious gun then...
- attach a sling. You need to be able to carry the gun and use your hands.
- attach a light. Its dark lots of the time in North America.
- get a red dot optic. It makes shooting easier and faster both day and night.
Once you have those it really goes into what matters to you. I have no trouble shooting milspec triggers to self defense levels of accuracy. And frankly nor should any one with a minimal amount of practice. Sure a better one helps, but really not that much for this use. But there are some really good options for not that much money so have at it when you can. I run single stage triggers in serious guns.
The laser you can forget. Until you get to the point of an IR one and then its a critical addition for your NV setup. vertical grips are a personal thing. I don't run them, but many do. I find they conflict with my light activation setup, but you can adjust that and get one with the setup on the vertical grip.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses so far. My rifle has a sling and red-dot reflex sight as well as irons, so will look into the light next.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
You didn't say what you might be using it for. If its a fun gun, then have fun and do anything.
If you consider it a serious gun then...
- attach a sling. You need to be able to carry the gun and use your hands.
- attach a light. Its dark lots of the time in North America.
- get a red dot optic. It makes shooting easier and faster both day and night.
<<snip>>

True... I didn't specify the use of my AR, and that was my bad!

I consider it dual-purpose; both home protection when time allows access to the safe (plenty of handguns hidden about the house and ALWAYS one on my person), and it's also a fun gun when I get to the outdoor range. I already have two of your three suggestions, so a WML appears to be the number one upgrade. I may consider an upgraded trigger, but in all honestly, I can pop small portions of target clays at 100 yards from the prone position using the red dot or the irons, so my stock trigger is not a deterrent to me at all.

Thanks again!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
A high quality optic. A white light. A sling.

Time spent shooting it from practical positions, not a shooting bench.

Bingo!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

This....determine the use of the rifle and find an optic that fits.

A white light is not always needed but most don't add a lot of weight/cost so I normally have them on all of my ARs.

A good Sling makes lugging on around much easier.

A shit ton of mags should figure in as well.

Minimum for me is 11 for every rifle, fairly easy to buy 10 at a time from places like PSA for under $100.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:

<<snip>>
A shit ton of mags should figure in as well.

Minimum for me is 11 for every rifle, fairly easy to buy 10 at a time from places like PSA for under $100.

I do shoot standing and sitting, but lately I haven't gotten enough practice time with ANY of my guns due to the soaring prices of ammo, scarcity of that which is left, and the restrictions of most local ranges due to this damned "election infection".

Fortunately I have a pretty decent supply of ammo, a lifetime supply of .22 rimfire ammo, and plenty of mags for most of my guns. I only have 6 for the AR, all of which are fully loaded and ready to go, so I'll try to get a few more ASAP.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
My first is always the trigger, a nice 2-stage.

Next a optic, the type depends on the use, which also determines if I sling it or not. Home defense yes, range toy, I have several that get moved around.

Next, muzzle device ... for home defense, it's suppressed, to eliminate flash and so I don't disorient myself from the sound ... not sure if it would happen or not, but I know shooting even a 22 indoors is incredibly loud.

For the range, I also shoot suppressed at the range unless other shooters are not but even then I like a Pig for flash and recoil, if neither of those typically just an A2 or whatever came on it, I don't use muzzle breaks unless in came on the weapon like my CZ Bren, which has a very efficient break, but its just a 223 ... I don't see the point as muzzle rise is negligible at best, same with the SiG 55X types.

I bought into the laser when they first came out, then I realized I was wasting seconds looking for the dot before I shot ... huge waste of time and money, except possibly for training, see if you are pulling your shot with the trigger.

I have a couple vertical grips but if I'm using one, its only as a hand stop.

I also have a couple weapon lights but rarely use them. If someone is in my house, I don't want them to see me before I see them. Also my house typically has enough ambient light if woken from a sleep, my eyes are adjusted, so even at night I wouldn't flip one on. Plus I've lived in the same place for over 10 years, so can walk around my house in total darkness without issue in the event of a power outage; still the wife and I both have flash lights on bedside tables in case of such an event.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Preferred Upgrades to AR-15?

A SCAR! Big Grin

I just couldn't let that one go. Wink

Seriously though, I think Indiana Boy hit the nail on the head:

quote:

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
Preferred Upgrades to AR-15?

A SCAR! Big Grin

I just couldn't let that one go. Wink

LOL... good one! Wink