SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint Pro vs...?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint Pro vs...? Login/Join 
Picture of Sammael
posted
Greets Gents:

Looking at a 'buy once' kind of optic for my AR (from 0m out to 300...ish?)

Looking hard at the Aimpoint Pro. I see others with lifetime warranties, etc (What is Aimpoint, 2 years?) but nothing seems to measure up (or even come close, really) to the Aimpoint Pro when it comes to bang for the buck.

Question for those with far more experience than me when it comes to a real, honest SHTF-grade optic: Is there anything else that warrants a look? I'm fine with the Pro. The $400 price tag is a bargain... but I am also willing to spend marginally more if the gain is worth it.

I quite like the ACOG chevron reticle, but the pocket just isn't deep enough for all that. Not right now anyway. : )

Overall though - the Pro seems like the sweet spot.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sam

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Steiner P4Xi.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Steiner P4Xi.

Wow, those look great...!

Amazing for the price. The Aimpoint just got some serious competition...

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint H2 in a Larue cowitness mount is my top choice for a red dot. I wouldn't want anything else in its place. Small light and rugged and unparalleled battery life.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Trijicon MRO is a nice choice as well.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MRO is a nice optic, but it really doesn't fall in the "honest SHTF-grade optic" yet. And its more $ than the pro. Its really hard to suggest anything that betters the Pro overall for an AR.
I happen to like other aimpoints better but they are more money.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Stick with aimpoint pro for the money its a tank and performs well. Smaller go with T2

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For price/value, it's hard to beat an aimpoint Pro. Only real nit is the size/weight compared to the smaller H1/T1 sized optics.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the Aimpoint Micros, but the PRO is absolutely the better value. It's 90% of the utility of the Micro at nearly 50% of the price.

So while I'd rather have a H1, it's not really worth the extra money over the PRO, unless you definitely need a smaller and lighter weight optic than the PRO for a specific reason.

The PRO is hands-down the best value in red dot optics these days.

The only caveat is that you mentioned wanting to shoot from 0-300 meters. I find shooting at 200-300 meters with just a red dot can be tough, depending on the target. So if you're going to be shooting at 100+ yards regularly, you'll probably want to invest in either a flip-to-side 3x magnifier for your PRO, or go with one of the low power variable (1-4x/1-6x) scopes instead.

Just understand that a low power variable will be larger and heavier than a red dot, and will be much less forgiving with regards to eye placement and cheek weld. Plus, most variable scopes aren't a true 1x on the lower end. Instead, they're usually something like 1.2x to 1.5x at the lowest setting, resulting in a slightly magnified fisheye effect, which some people find awkward at close ranges.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The good LPVs have a huge eyebox when set at 1x.

I have two that are no more finicky on head placement than a red dot.

The cheapest lpv options do give up some glass quality.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:

How do you find the glass on the P4Xi? How does it stack up to the rest of the Steiner line?

I guess the main question would be: Does it seem more Burris than Steiner?

Thanks.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
quote:

How do you find the glass on the P4Xi? How does it stack up to the rest of the Steiner line?

Thanks.

I actually have the Steiner T5Xi, not the P4Xi. My recommendation for the P4Xi came from your price range, my positive experience with my Steiner and this huge thread on arfcom:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3...einer-P4Xi-1-4-.html

And the fact that you are shooting out to 300 yards. Red dots are fine up close. And they are fine on LARGE well defined, high contrast, targets at longer distance. But they aren't as good as a quality LPV.

Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I'm really kicking myself for going eotech vs aimpoint. The PRO is the cats ass.

Whatever happened to the ACO? That was supposed to be the next big thing, PRO type but lower price point. Don't see many people talking about them.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Whatever happened to the ACO? That was supposed to be the next big thing, PRO type but lower price point. Don't see many people talking about them.

It's still around. But at ~$390 it's only ~$40 less than the PRO's normal price, and the PRO can be found on sale for the same price or even less at times.

The ACO and PRO are nearly identical with regards to the optic itself, but the ACO doesn't have lens covers, the mount is lower quality, and it has 1/3rd the battery life of the PRO.

Basically, the ACO is a PRO where they've cut corners on the lens covers, mount, and emitter efficiency. The quality of the optic itself is still up to snuff, so I wouldn't hesitate to use one, if I could find one for significantly cheaper. But considering it's so close in price to the PRO, there's no real benefit to going with the ACO.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]

Thanks.

The XTR II glass from Burris is better than you think.
On top of that the TX line has been plagued with lots of issues. Stick to the military line.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Thanks.

The XTR II glass from Burris is better than you think.
On top of that the TX line has been plagued with lots of issues. Stick to the military line.

The only real issue was the tracking of the turrets on the higher magnification models that guys are using for long range, PRS type matches.

Steiner has fixed the issue and with their heritage warranty they replaced the turrets on the older models with the upgraded turrets at no charge.

And since this is a 1-4x where you aren't going to be regularly dialing elevation and windage firing solutions..... it would be a moot point even if there were a problem.

And the military line is WAY WAY outside the OP stated price range.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I researched, but couldn’t find an explanation: What does “LPV” refer to? Low-power variable?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Wondered the same. Seems you are correct: Low Power Variable.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I assume you all know how hard it is to take a pic through an optic and do it any justice.

1x

5x. The first building is over 1/2 a mile away, the red barn is over a mile away.

It isn't an Aimpoint, but I got out my little Vortex SparcAR. The exit pupil on the Steiner is essentially at parity with the red dot in terms of where I can see it with the gun mounted. The red dot does have unlimited eye relief though, which is something.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't have a P4Xi of my own to compare but those who have both say that it is similar clarity and the illumination is daylight bright.