SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone have an HK93?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have an HK93? Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up this beauty with some extras today. I've wanted one for about 20 years now so I feel pretty good about finally having one to myself. Any good or bad experiences?

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. looks like a very nice one. I actually loved mine. mags are cheap and you can't really name anything that is more reliable in this category. but when you get older and want an optic, its really sucks. and when you reload it really sucks, and when that recoil impulse bothers you it really sucks. I'm a scar guy now, but I did have a good run with the 93. its a young person gun...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haha, I get it... I might not be very young but I think I'll enjoy it for awhile seeing as I've wanted one for so long

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Carried a 53 for years at work. Recoiled like beast, launched brass about 100' to the right but was 101% reliable in all inclement weather and conditions. We called it the "Pig" on qualification day. Terrible trigger pull and moderate recoil compared to good AR's but extremely reliable. I'd go to war with one any day.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Carried a 53 for years at work. Recoiled like beast, launched brass about 100' to the right but was 101% reliable in all inclement weather and conditions. We called it the "Pig" on qualification day. Terrible trigger pull and moderate recoil compared to good AR's but extremely reliable. I'd go to war with one any day.

Recoil because of the short barrel?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Congratulations. looks like a very nice one. I actually loved mine. mags are cheap and you can't really name anything that is more reliable in this category. but when you get older and want an optic, its really sucks. and when you reload it really sucks, and when that recoil impulse bothers you it really sucks. I'm a scar guy now, but I did have a good run with the 93. its a young person gun...

HK93/33 mags are cheap? That’s news to me. 7.62 G3 mags are cheap, but I don’t remember the 5.56 mags being cheap for quite a while, especially factory mags.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Great firearm, unless you reload. As I recall these are hell on brass (if you can even find them after being chucked a mile away from you!).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, loves me some HK.

I see you have a factory slimline forearm, that is a nice pickup. I see you also have the 93 rear stock as well vs an MP5 stock that many include instead.

Enjoy it!

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I bought this RRPP HK33 from the Scottsdale Gun Club about 15 years ago. She shoots just fine and it's always fun looking for different accessories.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No but I would love to have one.
Only have a actual HK94 and a PTR91 (no not a real HK but close).
An HK93 would be a nice addition so congrats.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
quote:

Yes - definitely more substantial than AR's etc. Nothing you couldn't learn and manage just fine with practice. It was an angry gun for sure, kinda fun too.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I was happy to finally get one especially with the extras it came with. Will hopefully be taking it out soon.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've had a genuine 93, but I traded into a Vector made clone and it ran every bit a reliable, most parts were German, and it was more accurate than the 93 as it has a 1/7 twist barrel which I believe was from a HK33; the HK had a 1/12 ... I eventually sold the HK.

I also rolled the dice and bought a Century built 93 pistol, has a 10" 53 barrel. I had bought a Registered Sear and although I had to buy a different locking piece for the pistol to run reliably in full auto and the finish is ugly as sin; its winning quality is that it's been a ton of fun, I think I gave $600 for it and its the cheapest sear host I own.

I've never experienced what I thought was excessive recoil,nor considered it a beast, even in full auto, its about the same as my M16, although both do fling the brass about 30-40 feet ...

Maybe member inspcalahan needs a different lock piece or new recoil spring?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

H&K's have sharper recoil because of their roller locked action not because of the barrel length. Gas guns smooth out the recoil impulse.

The recoil between an H&K 91 and FN FAL is the same difference, the roller locked 91 has much sharper recoil.

Shoot them in a same length barrel and you'll still feel the difference.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've got the poor cousin of this; the Century Arms C308 Big Grin

I've heard the extended cocking handle is a must have upgrade, I plan to add that to mine.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I've had a Vector 93 (HK93), its really nice, and I also have had a SAR8(the pre-86 kind, all steel greek made springfield armory imported HK91)

I love em both but honestly they are safe queens at this point.

Wish I had the original kind of HK folding stock on my Vector 93, but those things are so expensive now

Only thing I have had issues magazines for HK93/53/33 are super expensive, I've got some previous for around $60/piece, recently I bought another 4 brand new HK magazines for over $70/piece.

I see pro-mag makes cheap ones but I've never liked promags.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I used to shoot a lot of IPSC-style matches only using rifles and shotguns instead of pistols. Back then the guys' guns were about evenly split between .223 (ARs and HK93s) and .308 (M1As and HK91s). I never used an HK, having started with an M1A and later transitioned to an AR, but the guys who did, loved them. They just flat worked, every time. They tend to be hard on brass with their fluted chamber and ejector that throws cases into the next county, but they're good guns.

A friend of mine recently picked up an HK34, it's a nice piece too.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a gray Saco 93 with both fixed stock and A3 stock as well as a PTR C93. I also have three CETME L variants (L, LC and LV). They're all super smooth shooting rifles.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
quote:

H&K's have sharper recoil because of their roller locked action not because of the barrel length. Gas guns smooth out the recoil impulse.

The recoil between an H&K 91 and FN FAL is the same difference, the roller locked 91 has much sharper recoil.

Shoot them in a same length barrel and you'll still feel the difference.

Much better way to describe it. Thanks for doing so.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just remember those to the right and forward of you are in almost as much danger as those in front of you. Smile. HK roller guns throw brass in ANGER!!!

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post