SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picking up my SCAR 17 on Saturday, now what?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking up my SCAR 17 on Saturday, now what? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
Picking up my SCAR 17 on Saturday, now what?

I have been wanting one for a long time, and the stars finally aligned and it worked out that I got a FDE version. I guess the first thing that I’m going to get for it will be an optic and a mount. I am pretty sure I’m going with a LPVO, and other than that I’m undecided. For those who own a 7.62 SCAR, what are you running and how do you like it? If you were to do it over, what would you go with? Reading online and watching YouTube videos, It looks like there’s a pretty wide variety. My budget is around $1000, probably with $1500 being max. I have no problem spending less on something that is capable, but I also believe in buy once, cry once. If you have any other suggestions for needed accessories, feel free to let me know!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's a thread on SCAR 17 optics, and how the SCAR has a reputation for "eating" cheap optics...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4240060364

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Fo me, I have an Aimpoint PRO which works well for the ranges that I have around me and for my probable uses. Since mine is a 17S and yours is the FDE, you'll probably need something with a bit more power to compensate.

Wink

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new SCAR!

There are a number of good optics to choose from. In your price range, I would think the Trijicon Credo 1-8x would be a good option:

https://www.brownells.com/opti...ufacturer_1=TRIJICON

https://www.brownells.com/opti...ufacturer_1=TRIJICON

I like the idea of buying the optic from Brownells because of their no hassle "Guaranteed Forever" warranty.

For the mount, there are also some good options.

I like this JP mount because it doesn't have any large bolts protruding from the sides that could cause you to bang your knuckles when operating the charging handle.

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFTSM-34-20

This AMD mount is supposed to be one of the better SCAR mounts:

https://www.americandefenseman.../ad-delta-legacy.htm

And of course, you could always go with a Spuhr mount.

If you choose to suppress your SCAR, do your research and choose a suppressor that is known to work well with the SCAR. The wrong suppressor choice can cause issues with excessive bolt velocity. You can do your research at Parker Mountain Machine (PMM). They have some great videos on the subject.

https://www.parkermountainmach...om/pmm-faq-page.html

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your SCAR 17. Here is what I did with mine. (to give you some ideas).

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/9770090564/p/1

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new Scar! In that price range i’d go with the Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6x24 which typically sells for $1399. Lots of good choices from Trijicon and Nightforce too but a bit higher than your desired price.

For a mount I would choose the Seekins MXM mount since it’s low profile and bolts to the rail solidly. The Geiselle mount Is also a good choice if you will run the charging handle on the right side. The rail nuts stick out pretty far on the left side.

I’ve seen signs of the various QD mounts shifting on my 17S rail so prefer those that bolt on solidly.

Also get some gas control screws from Midwest gun works. Most Scars are overgassed from the factory and the heavy BCG slamming around when overgassed plays a role on optics damage and mount stability. I’ve posted in a few scar threads on here about tuning/sizing the GCS.

Plan on getting a Geiselle trigger, they are awesome and typically go on sale during Black Friday.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go shoot? I have a pretty good collection of 17's. The best all around LPV optic I've tried is the NF ATACR 1-8. But its not in your price range. On my go to 17 though I just run an aimpoint, as I'm never going to reach out very far in that use. I happen to prefer the bobro optic mounts as you can get the levers on the right side which is great if you have the charging handle on the left. The other stuff I run on all of mine are the PMM sling mounts and the rail conversions and the geissle trigger. But really there isn't anything you need to do to it, those are just pluses. Congrats.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Really depends on what you plan to do with it. If you like punching holes in paper then the more magnification the better. If you like running around and shooting fast, a red dot is best IMO. I have a Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 in a Bobro mount on mine (Thanks Q!) and it is solid but heavy as balls. The crosshairs are not fine enough for true precision shooting.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Out of your price range but,I chose a Swarovski Z8 2.3-18 scope. Covers near and far.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whichever scope you mount get a STIFF Scope mount. I switched out to SPUHR mounts on my 17's after one of them ate a Swaro Z6i in a Larue Lt 111. So far no issues with the SPUHR's.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think 1KPerDay uses his for matches. I don't except on rare occasions when we can run at night as the 17 is my go to gun and shooting in the dark is what I'll probably have to use it for. I'm not sure if you want this thread to turn into a big Scar17 aftermarket thread but a couple of thoughts to consider. I used to have 2 17's that I considered my go to's. One for close range and one for reaching out. Aimpoint and NF Atacr 4-16. Which for me covered anything that might possibly happen in the terrain I live in. But I never considered that a good answer. When NF (and others) made a first focal 1-x variable I went that direction. And I have shot it a lot, in all kinds of conditions. At 1x its a very, very good dot. maybe not aimpoint perfect but good enough. At 8x its pretty much usable out to the ranges I think might be relevant defensively, but again giving up a little bit in target ID for example. But for a defensive gun its very, very good. As is said above if paper punching at range is your goal then I can certainly recommend more power. But I moved the 4-16 I had over to the 20s I got and out to 500y its not a serious determent at least to me.
In any case all FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I ordered my scope today, and I chose the the Vortex Razor 1x6. I think I’ll be happy with it, but it was my 3rd choice behind the Nightforce 1x8 and the Vortex Razor 1x10. It was $700 more for the 10x Razor, and double for the Nightforce. It just wasn’t in the budget for now. I may upgrade later if I feel the need. I went with the ADM Delta mount in FDE. I think I’m good there. I think I’ll add the qd mounts, the geissele trigger, and maybe the hand guard extension out front. Pretty excited so far!!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 17S. I had a Razor on a Bobro mount for a while and it served me well. I moved on to an ELCAN 1.5-6x. Then I added a SBR 17S with an EoTech XPS2-0 and then added a 20S with an EoTech Vudu 5-25x. It’s like potato chips - can’t stop at one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kilyung,

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I ordered my scope today, and I chose the the Vortex Razor 1x6. I think I’ll be happy with it, but it was my 3rd choice behind the Nightforce 1x8 and the Vortex Razor 1x10. It was $700 more for the 10x Razor, and double for the Nightforce. It just wasn’t in the budget for now. I may upgrade later if I feel the need. I went with the ADM Delta mount in FDE. I think I’m good there. I think I’ll add the qd mounts, the geissele trigger, and maybe the hand guard extension out front. Pretty excited so far!!

The Vortex Razor is an excellent choice! A little heavy but tough as hell with good glass. I have one on one of my 16's. They are a bargain now that the newer models are out.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post

I run a Trijicon TA33R9 on a LaRue QD mount. ACOG’s are my favorite scope but now that I have old man eyes requiring bifocals I may start using a Adjustable power Leopold so that I can adjust for my eyesight. Also the Geisselle trigger, a Atlas bipod or maybe the Magpul bipod, lots of magazines, spare parts, and ammo, lots and lots of ammo.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Let us know how you like the Razor.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
10X-Shooter I've always wanted that ACOG. Shot through one years ago and it's just right. It solves the eye relief problem of other ACOGs.

Dam nice setup, and nice tomahawk.

OP the Razor is right at home on the SCAR. The NF and 1-10 Razor would be great but the 1-6 will do the bulk of what the others will do. I'm always surprised how clear those are.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I run a Trijicon TA33R9 on a LaRue QD mount.
How's the eye relief with that thing? I was always under the impression that ACOGs had very little eye relief, but you've got it mounted fairly far forward.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update.
I picked up the 17 yesterday, pretty exciting! They are also a stocking Vortex dealer, but did not have the Razor. They did have the PST in a 1x6, and I checked it out. Honestly, I was very impressed with it. Even on one power, looking around inside the shop, it was amazingly clear and seemed very true to 1x. I expect the razor to be just as clear if not better, and if so I will definitely be pleased. Most people recommend replacing the trigger first thing, but I may wait. It has a lot of travel/creep before the trigger actually breaks, but the actual break isn’t bad at all. I guess in a sling that you would choose for an AR would be sufficient for the SCAR?

Arc.
___

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
How's the eye relief with that thing?

Not to steal 10X-Shooter's answer, but from my brief experience and terrible memory I'd say it's twice as good as the 4x ACOGs you see in the military and what not. It makes for a very usable sight. I knew instantly shooting with it I wanted one. Cost/ priorities just prohibited me over the years.

Off topic, the TA11 has much better eye relief as well. It's a pig though. Colleague of mine has the TA11 on his SCAR 17, and it's a solid match. Hell the first 5 rounds I shot at 100 yards out of his gun, 168 FGMM was under an inch with that ACOG. Blew my mind. His rifle suffers from "face only a momma could love" syndrome.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post