SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    7.62 x 39 bolt action rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62 x 39 bolt action rifle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
CZ did come out with a few new bolt action models this year in 7.62x39. And Howa.

Look at the 527 threaded!

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have one. They are designed to shoot the Russian steel case ammo. Tolerances are tight, so I’ve had problems chambering some of the Wolf Polyformance ammo, but no problems with other Wolf ammo or any other ammo. The trigger is 3lbs and the set trigger is 1 lb 7oz according to my trigger scale. You just push forward on the trigger to use the 1 lb 7 oz trigger and it is light. First time I used the set trigger it went off before I felt that I’d even touched the trigger. This helps to make this rifle pretty darn accurate. I’m not a group shooter, so 1 MOA groups at 100 yards is not important to me, but I find this rifle is very accurate. Accurate enough that I decided to not put a scope on this rifle. These can be a little hard to find, or at least they were when I bought mine. Popular little rifle, and there are plenty of videos on YouTube on it. I have a couple if interested.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I've always been a fan of the Mauser, that is sexy right there ... yeah baby!

And there you have it, my weakness strikes again!

Watch out for sharp edges on the receiver around the loading/ejection port. Go to Warne for rings; they were listed under "Interarms" the last time I got some. Be aware that it's possible to mount a scope low enough to interfere with getting ammo into or out of the blind magazine. FWIW, the rear sight does simply fold down.

Oh, as much as I hate to say it, Google "extractor problems" and see what you find before you buy one. Mine works fine with a variety of ammo, so I'm happy. It's also far less of a problem with the rifle than with the carbine. But it is worth looking into before spending the money.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have a Cz 527 in the caliber. Sweet size & performer. I don't use an optic either. Highly recommended

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 - had it about 10 years. Great little gun. I'm running a Nikon 2-7x. It is handy in the way a lever action carbine is handy.

It does ok with Eastern European steel case but I've had good results with the Hornaday "Zombie Max" it is just SST brass case ammo with a green tip.

The only negative is the mags are pricey.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys with the great eyesight,
what distance is too far, for you to hit all 6 milk jugs ? with only 10 bullets to use.

can you hit all six at 150 yds? 200 yds ? farther?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked one of these up today. Can't wait to get it out to the range

quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
CZ did come out with a few new bolt action models this year in 7.62x39. And Howa.

Look at the 527 threaded!

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've watched some Cz bolt action vids on youtube,
and it seems to kick substantially more than my Sks yugo ever did, with the same ammo.

no one complains about the recoil though.
any thoughts?

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KICK!???

No!..

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I don't know what would cause that, but, barring hot handloads or something, here's my WAG -

Length of pull on my CZ carbine measures 14", but the last half an inch of that is a fairly compressible recoil pad. It is possible to hold the buttstock up to one's shoulder and at least think one has solid contact. If you don't pull the buttstock in enough to compress the recoil pad, though, the compressible portion of the recoil pad can compress pretty quickly under recoil. That might give the buttstock itself a little bit of a running start into the shoulder. It might also tend to lead to more muzzle rise just because the rifle isn't as solidly under control as it might be.

With the stock fully pulled into the shoulder to the point that the recoil pad is compressed, I would guesstimate that actual length of pull isn't too far from 13 and 3/4 inches.

Another possibility may be that the length of pull just doesn't suit the shooter. Did you happen to notice whether the rifle being shot was a "full-sized" carbine or one of the youth models they came out with a few years ago that had a shorter length of pull?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I've watched some Cz bolt action vids on youtube,
and it seems to kick substantially more than my Sks yugo ever did, with the same ammo.

no one complains about the recoil though.
any thoughts?

Yes, that is true. Semi-autos route gas back to work the action, hence reducing recoil. Bolt action guns do not and you get the full effect of the cartridge. I was surprised how much more recoil I got from my CZ than from my AK with the same ammo. Is it punishing recoil? Depends on the shooter. Bench shooting it hurts my shoulder, but free standing does not and at 71 with arthritis in my shoulder and neck, I’m a little sensitive to recoil. It’s a lot of fun to shoot. I have a video comparing the two if you are interested, I can post the link.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they were full size americans.

and nobody has mentioned weather it could be a target rifle, or just a hunting rifle.

as it applies to accuracy

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

There were a very small number of converted Enfield No. 4s imported from Australia several years ago. They were chambered in 7.62x39 and fed from AK magazines. I love the idea in theory, but quality was apparently iffy, and there's no support.

I don't doubt there were some Enfields converted, but those particular Enfields, as far as I know, were straight from the factory like that. Unfortunately, some of the parts were made in Vietnam, and at the time we weren't allowing imports of arms and ammo if it was tied to Vietnam. Lack of interest elsewhere, and the biggest civilian consumer of small arms banning import, well that's all she wrote on the AK Enfields. At least that's my understanding, maybe someone else will be along to tell me I'm a farthat, and wrong. Still, I always wanted one of those.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
From what little I know, it sounds like you're right. I always wondered how they would have done, though, if someone had found a way to make receivers and bolts properly dimensioned for the cartridge. They wouldn't have been as affordable, but that seems to have been the source of the problems.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I don't doubt there were some Enfields converted, but those particular Enfields, as far as I know, were straight from the factory like that.

You're correct. I got the newly-made 7.62x39 Enfields from Australian International Arms (AIA) confused with the converted 7.62x39 Enfields from Special Interest Arms (SIA).

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post