SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Muzzle Brakes on rifles? specifically 224 valkyrie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brakes on rifles? specifically 224 valkyrie Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
I am currently gathering components for a 224 valkyrie build.

What are your thoughts on muzzle brakes? are they worth it or a waste of money? whats the best bang for the buck? I was looking at a surefire in 223.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more effective muzzle brakes reduce recoil by 50-75%. Even on a 223 chambering, this is a noticeable effect on recoil. I have 223 brakes from APA and Surefire. The APA is a self-timeable removable brake, and the Surefires are QD adapters for a SOCOM suppressor. The APA has a greater effect of reducing recoil. The noise on both is about the same.

I don't use the brakes anymore, as I find the noise to be extremely unpleasant. This is even out in an open field, where I'm shooting by myself, with doubled up hearing pro. I have cans for all rifles now, with the exception of an old .270 hunting rifle.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
huh...something to think about. Not sure I want the added boom. I will try it without one to start out.

Please feel free to join the discussion and give your feedback!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to change from the old A2 style flash hider to a modern muzzle brake on my AR-15. Additional noise doesn't bother me, but I'd rather not get excess gases backblasted into my face (evidently that is a complaint with some designs).

Any good experiences or recommendations?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Nordic Corvette brake is the only one I have experience with. I was highly skeptical about how much recoil reduction there could be on a 5.56.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It's also much sleeker looking than most of the others.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...r-15-stainless-steel

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I have an AR Stoner Competition on my AR, very light recoil. About 50-60 bucks. Would do it again.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've got the Balistic Advantage VG6 Gamma 556 on an 18" .223 Wylde build that does a good job of reducing recoil and muzzle rise...but it is quite loud. IIRC the price was under $60 on special back last year when I built the rifle...

https://ballisticadvantage.com...parts/muzzle-devices

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
...but I'd rather not get excess gases backblasted into my face (evidently that is a complaint with some designs).

Use a search engine for "muzzle brake test". Two of better tests are by thetruthaboutguns.com and precisionrifleblog.com.

The best brakes push gases to the sides. Comps push gases upwards -- to keep the barrel from rising -- but I don't think that's necessary. With proper shooting technique, from a solid shooting position, the muzzle shouldn't rise. Most brakes don't push gases downwards, for obvious reasons.

Any effective brake that pushes gases sideways will push loose dust & grit back at the shooter, when shot from prone and bipod positions. That's just physics that can't be circumvented. The most effective way to reduce recoil and not have gas, dust, & grit thrown back at the shooter is with a suppressor. Even then, suppressors kick up some dust from prone, especially in the desert conditions we see here in the western USA.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
huh...something to think about. Not sure I want the added boom. I will try it without one to start out.

Precision Rifle Blog muzzle brake sound test

There are shooters who state that brakes only affect those to the sides of their rifles.....
riiiiiighht

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Brakes work. Not all shooters can utilize the advantage. But with practice you can.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post