SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fabrique National - FN-49
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fabrique National - FN-49 Login/Join 
posted
An ad for this rifle is posted on pafoa, which I have no connection to or affilliation with whatsoever.

I am posting this because the owner posted at least a two dozen pictures of the rifle, both fully assembled and completely taken down / with all of its components.

I thought some here may enjoy checking this out, looking at the pictures, as I did. The ad also includes a brief synopsis of its historical pedigree.

If inappropriate to link to a classified ad posted on another forum, then I would be happy to remove the thread.

Regards,

Rob

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice condition rifle (although the stock looks as though it may have been sanded/refinished). And .30-06 Belgian and Luxembourgian rifles are some of the most desirable FN-49s.

FN-49s are one of the best-looking military rifles IMO. (One author describes them as "The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle".)

They represent the closing chapter of the old school wood-and-steel battle rifles of the WW2 and immediate postwar era, and the transition to the more modernized Cold War battle rifles like the FAL and G3.

If you'd like to know more about the FN-49, I highly recommend the Collector Grade Publications book "The FN-49: The Rifle That Ran Out of Time".

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
To me the FN-49 is the perfect example of a "missing link" between wood stocked military rifles and the Cold War fiberglass/plastic clad rifles with detachable magazines. Not only that, but it's proportions and lines are uniquely excellent imo. I have a decent Egyptian, and am always on the look for a 7.62 or .30-06 that isn't outrageously priced.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I highly recommend the Collector Grade Publications book "The FN-49: The rifle that ran out of time

Rogue, does this book cover the British SLEM rifle also?

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I believe so.

I know the SLEM-1 is covered in at least one of the Collector Grade books, but that may have been in "The Last Enfield". (Or both.)

I'll double-check later.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed this FN-49 thread, although it is locked now.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5130071514

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
MDS thanks for posting my old thread. I still have them and they are incredible rifles.
That looks like a good deal.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. I’m FN crazy!

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big giant mistake: I was once offered an FN 49 in 30-06..... for $100.
I passed.
Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Big giant mistake: I was once offered an FN 49 in 30-06..... for $100.
I passed.
Frown

I was once offered one for $95.00. I bought it, about 1975 or 76. I still have it. Also have an 8mm Egyptian one.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post