SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg Shockwave now in 20 ga.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg Shockwave now in 20 ga. Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Finally, one for us more timid/older folks.

At the 2017 NASGW Show, Mossberg announced the launch of its 20-gauge 590 Shockwave, providing aficionados of this unique firearm with multiple caliber choices.

https://www.shootingillustrate...-mossberg-shockwave/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
True or false? Low recoil 12gauge and 20guage have about the same kick?

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
True or false? Low recoil 12gauge and 20guage have about the same kick?

Just read about this on another site and was thinking the same exact thing.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Recoil depends on the loads used. Its very possible to have heavy recoil 20 gauge loads, like slugs to compare to light recoiling 12s. Maybe factor in personal strength and experience and you have a question with no good answer.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
One plus on the 12 gauge is those nifty little mini shells that still pack a nice punch.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
If this 20g is on the 12g frame, it’s a winner for me. I can put a full stock on it and have a handy 20g for the wife.

Before anyone gets excited about me going to prison, I’m up in Canada and our short barrelled shotgun regulations are very different to the US.

I have a 14” Mossberg 590a1 already. Here it’s just a shotgun as the overall length is sufficient to be classed as a long gun, and the barrel, while less than 18”, is a FACTORY barrel, so not “sawed off”

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Recoil depends on the loads used. Its very possible to have heavy recoil 20 gauge loads, like slugs to compare to light recoiling 12s. Maybe factor in personal strength and experience and you have a question with no good answer.

I agree. I don't shoot the 20ga much. But I shot a Weatherby with full power 20 gauge slugs a couple months ago and was surprised how much recoil it had. Combination of the lightweight gun and the full power slugs had a decent punch.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I can personally attest to the fact that even a 20 Gauge in a short barrelled pistol/birds head grip configuration can be quite a hand full with buckshot or slugs.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
FYI, I see they just can out with the shock wave as a 590 version as well. What are the key differences between the 500 and 590?

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Lots O' Luck finding 20ga Buck loads or #4.

Slugs... is that what this size/format really good for?

Maybe Hornady will release an "extreme duty" stack o' dimes load? Until then i'd stick with a 12ga.

Simply for diversity of loads and availability.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There can still be more than enough recoil with 20 gauge shells to make a pistol grip shotgun not a good choice. Just get a shoulder stock for your shotgun. It can be a shorter than normal stock and still be handy and maneuverable. It isn't like a pistol grip shotgun is concealable in the first place. Pistol grip shotguns are a handful at best, and uncontrollable at worst. And harder to shoot well.

Pistol gripped shotguns seem like a far better idea than they actually are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
One plus on the 12 gauge is those nifty little mini shells that still pack a nice punch.

Yep, you can fit 8 mini shells into the tube of a Shockwave, and all you need is the TacSol rubber thingy and they feed perfectly.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post