SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Updated with pics .308 AR build on Aero Precision
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated with pics .308 AR build on Aero Precision Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
Update.... total price was just over $800 with shipping straight from Aero Precision taking advantage of there various sales on BF and the following week. It has a 18” barrel and a 2 stage trigger. I appreciate all the info.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I built an SBR’d AR-10 using Aero parts and receivers. Very pleased with the results.

1) Yes

2) You need a .308 carbine buffer, spring, and tube, Aero sells a good kit here. I used a JP Precision Heavy Captured Spring Kit as I suppress the gun as well. Mil-spec stocks fit.

3) No idea what to tell you here but have thought about building an 18” upper for mine as they seem to be popular as you note.

Here’s my 12.5” Aero SBR

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^
Like recommended, I would stick with AP for Lower Parts and such. There is some commonality depending on the 308 AR type parts, but I think it's easier staying with AP in the case.

For barrel length, if you want to stretch the range past 600, I would say 18 or 20", but for more a do all gun 16/18 would be my choice.

For reference I have a 13" SBR SCAR 17 and a 16" Colt CM762 AR, but it's hard for me to get beyond 300yards regularly here in the tree filled FL Panhandle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
3. Barrel length? 16, 18 or 20? I feel like 18 is probably the length. I want it to be fairly accurate and will put some decent glass on it.

Barrel length and accuracy are not necessarily correlated. Barrel length and rifle weight are correlated, as is barrel length and muzzle velocity.

The distance you intend to shoot is a primary factor in barrel length, as higher muzzle velocity reduces bullet drop and drift at distant targets.

Accuracy depends on the quality of the barrel manufacturer, how the chamber was cut, and how well the load matches up to the barrel and the chamber.

Shorter barrels produce more muzzle blast than longer barrels, although this really isn't much of a factor with suppressed rifles.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers. They were very helpful. After Black Friday I should have the parts for the lower and be under $250 for the lower when completed.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want a .308 AR and after looking I have decided to build at least the lower my self. I have a Aero Precision stripped lower on the way and I have a AP stripped upper on hand. although I am not sure about building the upper I a leaning more towards buying a assembled upper.

Questions
1. Will a regular AR trigger work? I like the Large MBT's and they have pretty good sales on black Friday? YES
2. How do I know which buffer spring, buffer tube, buffer and stock will fit? AP built lowers appear to use Magpul stocks.
Your buffer and spring will ultimately be a work in progress of testing to be optimum. I like and used Slash's Heavy Buffers in all my 308 builds (3).
No problem with stocks either - just about anything works. I used Magpul myself.

3. Barrel length? 16, 18 or 20? I feel like 18 is probably the length. I want it to be fairly accurate and will put some decent glass on it. I have one of each (16,18,20). > all very accurate > They tend to increase a little bit as they get longer but if you use a good barrel, trigger, optics all is good. My 16 is the least but the 18 is almost as good as the 20. DON'T FORGET THAT A GOOD LOAD IS ALSO IMPORTANT! Accuracy is a fantastic reason to hand load.
Thanks

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
What magazines does the AP take? I didn’t really think about it until just now.

YAT-YAS

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
What magazines does the AP take?

P-mags

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.c...pare-parts/magazines

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I also use Slash's heavy buffer along with a JP low mass bolt. The gun is a real soft shooter with a good brake on it.

I have a Rainier Ultra Match 18" barrel that gives very good results. I can consistently get 1.5" or less at 100 with not top of the line ammo and my bad form.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Does it use a regular AR charging handles?

YAT-YAS

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it use a regular AR charging handles?
No, longer bolt = different CH

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
So all the parts are ordered and with Black Friday specials should be between $750-$800 complete. The next stage would be a scope, any suggestions? I would like to stay around $500

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
quote:
So all the parts are ordered and with Black Friday specials should be between $750-$800 complete. The next stage would be a scope, any suggestions? I would like to stay around $500

Let's start with what type of shooting you intend to do:
- hunting, target shooting, plinking, home defense?
- what are you expected distances to targets?
- do you have a preference for magnification levels?
- do you have a preference for reticle type?
- do you expect to dial elevation for various distances, will you use the reticle for hold overs at longer distances, will you be shooting at distances where you don't expect hold overs/unders to be an issue?
- if you use a reticle to help with staying on target for longer distance targets, do you prefer second focal plane or first focal plane reticles?
- are you concerned with gnat's-ass accuracy, or is getting close enough to the point of aim good enough? Which brings up what type of ammo you intend to use?

By the way, what barrel did you buy?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I got the 18” barrel. I need to do some reading.

YAT-YAS

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Most shooting will be at 200 yds but I would like to do some hunting out west some day so maybe 600 to 800 yds.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
quote:
Most shooting will be at 200 yds but I would like to do some hunting out west some day so maybe 600 to 800 yds.

Optics requirements for targets at 200 yards is more personal than anything else. For reasonably-sized steel plates, a low-powered variable of 1-6x magnification will get the job done. If you want greater accuracy -- say on bulls-eye paper targets -- then magnification of 10x or 15x will help. Some people may want magnification in the 20x to 25x in order to help making purdy little holes in paper.

Let's look at the ballistics for an 18" barrel 308 Win at distance for hunting. Since I'm more familiar with the ballistics of target ammo, I am using Federal GMM 175. The best hunting bullets will likely fly about the same. Expect a muzzle velocity of around 2,525 fps for a 175-grain bullet, which equates to muzzle energy of 2,478 foot pounds. I plugged density altitude of 5,000 feet into JBM, and a scope over bore height of two inches.

At 600 yards:
- bullet drop of 16 MOA, or 101"
- bullet drift in a 10 mph cross wind of 4.4 MOA, or 27". That's 2-3/4" drift for every 1 mph of cross wind.
- kinetic energy of 1,122 foot pounds

At 800 yards:
- bullet drop of 26 MOA, or 217"
- bullet drift in a 10 mph cross wind of 6.3 MOA, or 53". That's 5-1/4" drift for every 1 mph of cross wind.
- kinetic energy of 827 foot pounds

You haven't stated what you intend to hunt out here at 600-800 yards. Given the above estimated ballistics:
- you won't have all that much energy on target, so the game can't be huge
- you better know your distance to target, otherwise the bullet will fly either over or under the game
- you better be good at estimating wind speed, otherwise the bullet will fly either ahead of or behind the aim point

I don't think 600-800 yards hunting is realistic for your rifle.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I realized the rifle is probably good out to 800 for paper but for hunting 300 is reasonable. I am going to go with the Nikon m308 tactical BDC scope for now. I should have the lower and I will post a picture when its all together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

YAT-YAS

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
18" barrel is good choice IMO. I've got a 16" .308 and it's a beast to shoot. Way too much muzzle blast.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
18" barrel is good choice IMO. I've got a 16" .308 and it's a beast to shoot. Way too much muzzle blast.

What’s your thought on going with a 20” barrel?

Posts: 13090 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What’s your thought on going with a 20” barrel?

Between 16" and 20" you will gain 20-25 fps of muzzle velocity per each inch of barrel length increase. All other things being equal, the longer barrel will weigh a little more, which will increase recoil slightly.

The 20" barrel will have less muzzle blast than both the 16" and 18" barrels.