SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bolt gun shooters do you use a chassis system
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt gun shooters do you use a chassis system Login/Join 
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted
Just wondering how many people use a chassis system on their precision rifles and if so what kind.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not the best picture, but the KRG X-Ray with my Tikka T3.

I had an MDT chassis for a different Tikka, and have one whose name I’ve forgotten for a Ruger 77. I like the KRG the best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
I can only see a beautiful view.
How about a close up of a chassis?!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of setting up my first chassis system. A Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel with an MDT chassis and stock. I'll post up some pictures when it's done.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
How about a close up of a chassis?!

Oh, all right. Wink

Some additions and modifications to the original chassis.

Not visible: a “spigot” mount at the front with a rail for attaching a bipod. M-LOK rails can be attached directly to the bottom of the forend, but the spigot moves the mount farther forward and raises the attachment point up a little.

The black “bag rider” at the bottom rear is an optional accessory for filling in the space. I got it so I could attach a rail for mounting the monopod. Although there are mounting holes in the bottom of the rider they weren’t positioned properly for any of the Picatinny rail sections I had, and therefore I had to do some modifications. Everything turned out well, though.

I also wanted QD sling mounting sockets on both sides of the stock, and the ones available from KRG to mount without modification were the free-rotating type that I don’t like. I ended up threading the holes and putting in GrovTec sockets.

The stock cheek rest is a little thin for my taste and therefore I added a thin piece of dense plastic foam sheet and secured it with “gaffer” tape (much, much better stuff than duct tape).

The rifle receiver attaches directly to an aluminum insert in the polymer exterior, and that’s an improvement over the Tikka factory setup that uses a polymer stock. I haven’t conducted extensive precision/accuracy tests with this chassis, but in the limited drills and qualifications I’ve used it with, it’s clearly as precise as ever, and perhaps more so.

The KRG system uses AICS magazines, and the genuine AI mags I have are a snug fit in the aluminum chassis insert. The system has oversized pads to push on to release the magazine, but the AI mags won’t drop free and must be pulled out. Whether that’s a benefit or drawback depends on the shooter, of course. On the other hand, the one 223 Accurate-Mag version of the AICS I have is a little looser in the mag well and drops freely when released.

Cons:
Even with the recoil pad assembly mounted down as far as it will go, a cleaning rod from the rear still rubs on it. A minor issue, but they could have done things better. (I see that now KRG is offering an option that allows moving the recoil pad up/down without tools and they say it will permit clearing a cleaning rod. I may try that.)

This chassis is relatively inexpensive as compared, for example, with the MDT I once had. I believe that’s why some of the components and assemblies seem a little “cheap.” None of that makes any functional difference, however, and I’m thinking of getting another KRG chassis for a second Tikka. I believe the less-expensive “Bravo” chassis is much the same as the X-Ray, but I wanted the option of attaching the “rider” to the bottom rear of the stock.

I am actually somewhat surprised that there hasn’t been more positive response to this thread. I was under the impression that chassis systems were more popular.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traditional stocks for me -- McMillan and Manners. I like their overall look and feel.

Not as easy to adjust fit or adapt to new accessories, but still workable. My 'smith just installed a 9 inch Arca rail under the fore end, so I am up to speed with bipod and tripod attachment options.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, AICS on Rem 700 5R

Add in a good load - makes for some good results:

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I do have a few bedded rifles, but chassis systems are superior.

I would recommend the AICS, I have an AE:

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Best of both worlds is a Manners Stock with the Badger mini chassis system. Made me wish I hadn't bought 2 AIX stocks. The Manners stock much lighter, rides bags better and you have a choice of several profiles. The Badger mini Chassis also is designed for a little better cinch fit than some of the other chassis systems. The only disadvantage is the Manners has a LONG wait time. There are a couple companies that sell them ready made and Manners has some ready to ship as well.

If at all possible try and get a little range time behind the style of chassis system that you want to buy before spending lots of money on them. They can get quite expensive!

It is nice to be able to have a quality barreled action bolt into a stock and have a sub-MOA combo OTB. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
sigfreund
Did the KRG add/remove much weight to the rifle?

My Tikka is a Lite Stainless & weighs in at about 8lbs unloaded.

It's a hunting rifle, so the chassis isn't really needed, more just curious how it affected the weight.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Interesting.
I would have thought so because of its aluminum “backbone” that the action attaches to directly, but based on my records and what I found just now, the chassis seems to actually be a little lighter than the original polymer stock and real metal bottom metal it was converted from. The weights were 11.48 and 11.4 pounds for complete rifles with stock or chassis, respectively. And as weighed with the chassis that also included the metal “spigot” mount and the rear bag slider which are optional add-ons, although I did remove the monopod for weighing.

I may have made a mistake somewhere, though, so I wouldn't take that to the bank.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have an MPA chassis on one of my precision rifles. The other two wear Manners PRS1 stock with the Gen 2 chassis system in them. I like them both. The MPA is a little heavier which I like. I have another PRS1 on order with a pound of lead in the rear. Should be here next month.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have two XLR Element chassis. Both for a Rem 700, one in 223 and the other in 243.

They offer 1st responders discounts.
LINKY

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Interesting.
I would have thought so because of its aluminum “backbone” that the action attaches to directly, but based on my records and what I found just now, the chassis seems to actually be a little lighter than the original polymer stock and real metal bottom metal it was converted from. The weights were 11.48 and 11.4 pounds for complete rifles with stock or chassis, respectively. And as weighed with the chassis that also included the metal “spigot” mount and the rear bag slider which are optional add-ons, although I did remove the monopod for weighing.

I may have made a mistake somewhere, though, so I wouldn't take that to the bank.

Thanks, like I said, more of a curiosity, as i dont forsee spending the $$$ on a chassis for a hunting rifle. Pretty happy with how it shoots out of the box, though i may dial a bit of weight out of the trigger (within OE specs).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
i dont forsee spending the $$$ on a chassis for a hunting rifle.

I wouldn’t like the form of the chassis I’m familiar with for hunting.

IIRC it was Jeff Cooper who first referred to the AK/AR type handgrip shape as a “saw handle.” The vertical or near-vertical shape is good for positional shooting, especially from the prone, but not, IMO, ideal for controlling the gun well during a fast mount to the shoulder to get on target quickly. That’s the way I view them, anyway, and I believe skeet and trap shooters agree; I’ve never seen a gun intended for those sports with such a grip. I have become reasonably proficient acquiring targets quickly with an AR, but I wouldn’t want a typical chassis grip on a hunting rifle.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I have a AICS on my Rem 700 5R. I am very pleased with it.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 R700's in Masterpiece Arms chassis, and a Ruger Precision. I've upgraded the RPR to an XLR Tactical Lite stock, and a Seekins handguard.
I know they aren't often highly regarded, but I used to have a 700 in a Bell & Carlson Varmint fully adjustable stock that was very nice and easy to get comfortable behind..

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post