SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    bolt gauge for S&W M&P15-22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt gauge for S&W M&P15-22 Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted
Hello forum - does anyone have one of the testers for the M&P recall? I requested one from S&W ages ago and never received it. Anyone have it lying around so I can verify my bolt is within spec? Happy to pay for shipping and will return. Thanks

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Don't have one handy as they shipped me one several months ago and I would have to locate it among the mess in my room (my rifle did not have any problem).

If your rifle was not in the serial number range, it is possible they may have not sent one for that reason.
If it is in the serial number range, I would contact them again (try using the phone number).
They will send a hard plastic shim 0.035" that fits into the cartridge slot on the bolt face.

Email: MP15-22SafetyAlert@smith-wesson.com
Customer Service Phone: 1-800-713-0356

The tool is a hard plastic shim (measured 0.035" when I got it) that fits into the cartridge slot on the bolt face.
Basically, they want to make certain that the rim of a .22 case does not protrude past the front of the bolt face possibly causing a slam-fire.
One could slide a .22 case under the extractor, press it agains the bolt face and acheive the same basic function as the tool performs.
If the case rim protrudes past the front of the bolt face, don't use the rifle until the bolt is repaired/replaced.

Nevertheless call them to be certain they have your serial number on record regarding the "safety alert" (they didn't recall the rifles) in case anything happens in the future.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I got the impression that S&W put almost every rifle in the serial number range, I bought mine in 2009 and have literally put thousands of rounds thru it, only issue was the extractor blowing off the 2nd week I had it. No issues since that resolved.

I was surprised when I looked mine up and saw it was in range. I'll see if I can get a hold of them again. I'm sure my rifle is fine but would like to verify. I had a similar thought to your case rim test, thinking if I hadn't had a problem with bump firing this long into it I'm probably within spec

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
let me know if you still need to borrow one,

I have one , and can toss it in an envelope and mail it to you,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have one as well.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post