SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Differences between two LWRC DI carbines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Differences between two LWRC DI carbines Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted
Hey Guys, I'm looking into a couple LWRC-DI carbines. For comparison's sake, I found two different ones on Primary Arms website. Though they are out of stock, I wasn't able to see what makes them different, other than the $200 price difference.

Here they are:

SKU: LWICDIR5B16ML
MPN: LWICDIR5B16ML

https://www.primaryarms.com/lw...r15-rifle-m-lok-16in

SKU: LWICDIR5B16
MPN: ICDIR5B16

https://www.primaryarms.com/lwrc-icdir5b16

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right off the bat I see a rail difference. The "ML" in one version means MLock rail. The other one has the old school rail.

I have an upper with the piston version of the old rail. The rail contributes to making the upper rather heavy. The rail is really large. My barrel appears to be basically the same as both of these DI rifles. In all honesty, it's my least accurate upper. I just don't think the barrel is made very well.

IMO there are better rifles out there for the money.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Hey Fritz, That's just the info. I was looking for! I didn't notice the difference in rails. I was also considering a Geissele Super Duty. On paper, they seem to have a very good feature set. However, I really haven't heard a lot of feedback on them.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Not sure why this wouldn't imbed:

https://ibb.co/gRBpK76

I'm not sure which stock number mine is other than the one on the receiver. It has a different forend than the one you pictured and I didn't notice if the Primary Arms one has the spiral fluted barrel or not. It came with everything but the sights, trigger and muzzle brake for my suppressor. Mine came complete with the vertical forend grip and grip panels exactly like they are in the pic.

It's one of my Favorite AR's. Really light and handles great. The trigger was good OTB, it had some time of slick coating NP3 or something as does the bolt group. I prefer 2 stage triggers so I did swap it out. Quality is high as is all the LWRC I've ever owned or seen. So far I've only had a few hundred rounds downrange in this particular one (I had a black one too that I sold) ZERO malfunctions in either. Accuracy is good, not sub 1/2 MOA like some Match AR's I have but easily sub MOA.

The Forend and grip is just one that fits my medium size hands particularly well. It's a lot lighter than my rigged up 6940's and LMT MWS's so it handles really well for me. If I had to go to War tomorrow I might take a 6940 or LMT just for proven toughness but the LWRC is my normal Self Defense rifle, I like it that much.

I bought it a couple years ago for a little more than the bargain 6940's but way less than the LMT MWS. In my mind that's about where it fits in overall quality too. Any of those three will do just fine for just about anybody right now........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also considering a Geissele Super Duty

I'm not sure there are too many of these in the wild. But in any case I have a couple of the SD uppers. Everything about it is superb. The lower you would get on a whole gun I can't comment one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, the difference is the MLOK rail.

I helped a buddy pick out a LWRC DI-MLOK this past summer when prices were still normal and it was a lot of rifle for ~$1200. Fit and finish were excellent, the one-piece carrier was a neat design that completely eliminates the need for staked screws, ambi-controls/charging handle, Magpul grip, and it felt very balanced. It was certainly nicer than a DD M4V7 which were still about $300 more at that point. The DD is still a tiny bit lighter though and is obviously a recognized quality buy.

The LWRC DI shot great and functioned flawlessly. I almost bought a couple of them, and looking back now I should have, but didn't really need any more rifles. When prices return to normal I will certainly get one. Every bit as nice as their gas piston guns but at a lower price point and a little bit lighter.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post