SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is/are precision rifle moving target speed(s)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is/are precision rifle moving target speed(s)? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Still watching NRL match videos, and am curious about the movers’ speeds in various precision rifle matches: Are they all the same, or do they vary by match? What is/are the speed(s)?
Are competitors given that information?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3-5mph. 50/50 given the speed. Shot movers from 500-1300yds. Nearer targets are actually harder, more swing. Movers are lots of fun especially in tough wind! Shooting movers is about the only time I'll dial wind. Always ambush target, always break my shot at the edge of the target, never on the center. EX: 500yds, 3mph, lead is 1.7 mils , target width .4, break the shot on the edge of the target with a 1.5 lead. Hope that makes sense!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, the lead part and the ambush method make perfect sense, and all that wasn't a method I had ever conceived of. Thanks for giving me something else to ponder.

Please confirm, though, what you mean by "50/50 given the speed." Does it mean that the mover speed is provided to the shooters about half the time?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Please confirm, though, what you mean by "50/50 given the speed." Does it mean that the mover speed is provided to the shooters about half the time?

Yes, the matches I've shot the mover speed was given about half the time.

To practics for movers I string a climbing rope between two trees. Lay on our deck dry firing. Focused on keeping the reticle on the rope as I panned. Dry fire/move/wait/dry fire.... as fast I can under control.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post