SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun magazine tube extension, clamp or no clamp?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun magazine tube extension, clamp or no clamp? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I've been looking at some Remington 870 plus two magazine extensions and I've seen an assortment where it seems clamps are suggested and some are not. The Vang Comp types seem to suggest no clamp while the Nordic Components seem to specify clamps. It's not just these specific brands, but seems split across others. What is the forums experience with shotgun barrel/ magazine tube clamps?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Of the two I've used both have used clamps. In both cases the clamps were also the sling QD fitting. IMNSHO the clamp adds some rigidity and makes it harder to miss align the extention in the case of rough handling.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a +2 extension, I usually don’t bother with the clamp. For my semi-autos, you usually have to remove the end cap or extension to remove the barrel for takedown/cleaning, and it’s just a little more hassle to constantly remove/install the clamp.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have two with, one without. One of them with would be fine without.
No need for it on a +2 with a quality tube.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have seen guys running a +8 longer than the barrel with no clamp.

I myself use a clamp on my Benelli for 12+1. With a +2 I wouldn't bother.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very pleased with S&J Hardware extensions, not the cheapest, but this is one of those buy once, cry once items. No clamp needed but the magpul clamp/sling mount works great in combo if it makes you feel better.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Depends more on how beefy the extension is. When I used an 870 with a +2 I settled on the gg&g. Thing was a tank. No clamp needed. Prior to that I had the remington factory one and it needed it in my eyes.

I use a +1 nordic on a sbs benelli now so no clamp needed. See how the tube is first and go from there. As its been mentioned though, the clamps offer a nice spot to mount the sling as well. So maybe useful just as that alone.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I installed one to limit the chance of something getting snagged between the barrel and the magazine.
More beef doesn't hurt, especially if somebody grabs the front of the barrel in a fight.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the scattergun tech extension as it comes from the box, no clamp. I'd follow the manufacturer's instructions on whether or not to clamp it.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy who had chucked his shotgun in a barrel hard enough to break his extension at the threaded area, but was still able to finish the match because the clamp was holding it all together.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post