SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Carrying a precision rifle by the scope—does it hurt anything?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a precision rifle by the scope—does it hurt anything? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thus far I’ve seen videos showing three precision rifle competition shooters pick up their rifles by the scopes to move them to a different firing position. And if someone like offgrid says he’s personally aware of damage to a scope having occurred, I believe it. Every time: Obviously not. Every scope: Perhaps not. Factors vary, but something to be avoided? In my opinion, yes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’m certainly no expert. But the instructors at Sig Academy just went over this in the modern sporting rifle class I took. They said a properly mounted scope would not be affected. He mentioned this when picking up his MCX by the scope. He described the internals of the scope and as long as adjustment covers were in place no problem iirc.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
But the instructors at Sig Academy just went over this in the modern sporting rifle class I took.

Thanks for that.

It’s interesting that the issue would have been addressed there because other than the one comment I described in my first post, it’s not something I had thought about or seen questioned before. Coincidence, or something in the air? How did the subject come up? Did a student ask a question, or was it just something the instructor raised?

Again, though, the potential for problems would obviously vary based on the hardware involved. I wouldn’t hesitate in the slightest to pick up one of my ARs by its Aimpoint CompML3, but I definitely wouldn’t pick up my Winchester model 52 by the Redfield 3200, and especially not by its objective bell.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It was in the classroom and the instructor was discussing optics. He had picked up his MCX by the scope multiple times and so he just told us about it. Basically as he picked it up he said, “By the way you may see me picking this up by the scope...”

Don’t quote me but I believe he said basically that the tube that gets adjusted is inside the exterior tube and unless adjustment controls are exposed you can’t mess that up. He said if it’s not mounted properly you could shift it but still not mess with internals. He also described how they are built tough for military. Of course I suppose it depends on the quality of the scope.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the explanation.
Now I’ll have to ponder that, and perhaps one of our authorities on scopesights will comment.

Without being an authority myself, it seems to me that affecting the internal mechanism would be only one consideration. I would think that if the outer tube were bent at all that it would change the position of the lenses and possibly cause misalignment and/or compromise the seals. I don’t believe I’d want any of those things to happen.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I grew up reading the Matt Helm books by Donald Hamilton. In those books Hamilton stated that once a rifle was "married" to the scope they were to never be parted and great care must be taken to not disturb that union. So, I am going to state that you should NEVER EVER carry a rifle by the scope.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scooter123,

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like my late father in law used to say .." You CAN , but you MAY NOT ."

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donald Hamilton was more knowledgeable about firearms than the vast majority of fiction writers, but that is just made up stuff.

I still wouldn't carry a rifle by the scope... except a Steyr AUG.
Actually, your sergeant will chew you out for carrying your AR or your FN by the handle. It's convenient but it isn't ready.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just had a random thought.

I have a couple of handguns with red dot sights on them and I use the red dot to rack the slide.

You see instructors and top competition shooters doing that all the time on Gun TV.

Doesn't seem like it would be much different.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

You don’t see any difference in vulnerability to damage due to handling between a typical red dot sight of the sort used on handguns and high magnification variable power scopes typically used for long range precision shooting? Do you notice any differences in their designs?
Confused

6.4/93.6

— Plato

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

You don’t see any difference in vulnerability to damage due to handling between a typical red dot sight of the sort used on handguns and high magnification variable power scopes typically used for long range precision shooting? Do you notice any differences in their designs?
Confused

Of course I do. Don't be ridiculous.

I don't see much difference in how robust the designs are and that's natural as they're made to function in similar environments and similar operating conditions.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see much difference in how robust the designs are and that's natural as they're made to function in similar environments and similar operating conditions.

Rather than leave the impression that I just ignored those statements, I will just say they are two of the most amazing I have read here.

6.4/93.6

— Plato