SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
barndg00,

e-mail is in my profile. Glad to help you out with 6BR mags. Five of us locally now shooting mag fed BR's. Have 1200rds through mine, feeds perfect.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Email sent, thanks!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
barndg00,

e-mail is in my profile. Glad to help you out with 6BR mags. Five of us locally now shooting mag fed BR's. Have 1200rds through mine, feeds perfect.

Is that what you were messing with at T3 when I was there? Your special "mag tool"?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpine and I competed in the team challenge rifle/carbine/pistol match this weekend in Wyoming: 2-1/2 days of physically demanding and technically challenging stages, shot under tight time constraints. This wasn't your local steel match designed to bring new shooters to the sport. It was a regional (if not national) caliber venue to test the shooting ability, physical endurance, and adaptability in typical Wyoming conditions. Which meant wind on the second and third days.

Alpine and I shot rather well on some stages, fair to middling on others, and not so hot on a few. We ended up more of less middle of the pack. It appears the match started with 42 teams of two shooters, with 37 left by the time awards were handed out.

We can go into details later, however...

Each of the three mornings were our "field" stages. Each field stage consisted of three shooting stations, 1/3 to 2/3 mile approach over variable terrain to each station, 5 or 10 steel targets to locate and range at each station, carbine dude (me) to engage 5 targets (no maximum number of shots), rifle guy (Alpine) to engage all targets with up to 10 shots (one shot per target), all within 60 minutes. Target distances roughly between 300 and 900 yards, mainly swinging diamonds, painted black or dark gray, sometimes blending in with darker vegetation, mainly in the 2 to 2.5 MOA-ish size range. We neither cleaned nor fully completed any of the 3 stages.

We had four "assault" stages on each of the first two afternoons. The formats of the assault stages varied substantially from one stage to the next, but basically we were both carbine and/or pistol guys. There was a 5 minute time limit on each assault stage, using some combination of firearms, at both paper IPSC and steel targets, with varying levels of movement while shooting. Pistol targets varied from quite close to 40-ish yards, carbine targets from quite close to 500+ yards.

We had two night stages, shot between 10:00pm and 11:30pm, targets illuminated by artificial light, each lasting two minutes. One night stage was thrown out due to issues with rules briefings.

Rifle guys could use attached bipods and often shot from prone. Sometimes really awkward prone. Carbine dudes could not shoot from bipods, so we often shot from prone over backpacks. Shooting sticks and tripods with HOG saddles were important support tools for many carbine (and some rifle) positions.

Bottom line -- we had fun. We got our butts kicked. We saw some new ways to challenge ourselves. I'm ready to do it again sometime in the future.

Right now a nap sounds like a really good idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fritz,

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Bottom line -- we had fun. We got our butts kicked. We saw some new ways to challenge ourselves. I'm ready to do it again sometime in the future.

Sounds like a blast. Our little T3 match will be a piece a cake now for you guys.

Buddy and I are shooting the Team Safari match in October down in Logan, believe it's not full!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our little T3 match will be a piece a cake now for you guys.

There are aspects of the T3 match which are easier than the team challenge. However, the shooter still must hit the targets. I'm still working on that part of the game.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
barndg00,

Is that what you were messing with at T3 when I was there? Your special "mag tool"?

Little more to the modded 6BR mags then just using the special mag tool.

I've bent/tweaked the lips on all my mags, regardless of caliber. Found the AICS and AW mags are not consistent. Tweak them not because the mags wouldn't feed. Just want them all to feed as well as possible, where I almost can't tell I've picked up a round, feed like butter, present the case at the same height...

My high tech feed lip bender/tweaker is a piece of 3/8 aluminum with slot cut with a band saw. Hard to tell in the picture, the mag feed lips are slightly flared toward the front, about .030 from back to front. Allows the case to release a little sooner and present the case at a slight angle. Keep the tweaker in my back pack tool kit, help others, in case I step on one of my mags....I've done that in a match.

Can see the 6x47 round is pointed slightly up hill. Feeds like butter.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I've bent/tweaked the lips on all my mags, regardless of caliber.

Interesting modification -- makes sense. I know how smoothly your bolt guns cycle.

In one stage of the Team Challenge match, we shot 3 rounds at 3 targets from a match sponsor's bolt action rifle, then Alpine and I engaged the 5 or 6 targets up the hill with our own carbines. I started with the bolt gun.

The bolt gun was a piece of artwork, but I hated its action. Don't remember the details, but it was a Remy 700-sized custom action which fed rounds like crap. IMO there's no excuse in this day and age for a bolt action which takes a running jump to strip a round from the mag and force it into the chamber. There's no need to grab the buttstock with my left hand (thus losing my rear bag position) in order to control the gun while I'm forcing the bolt forward. The gun shot very well, but it's action was unacceptable.

This is one of the reasons I have no use for every DTA I've shot -- they feed rounds like dog doo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I've bent/tweaked the lips on all my mags, regardless of caliber.

Interesting modification -- makes sense. I know how smoothly your bolt guns cycle.

In one stage of the Team Challenge match, we shot 3 rounds at 3 targets from a match sponsor's bolt action rifle, then Alpine and I engaged the 5 or 6 targets up the hill with our own carbines. I started with the bolt gun.

The bolt gun was a piece of artwork, but I hated its action. Don't remember the details, but it was a Remy 700-sized custom action which fed rounds like crap. IMO there's no excuse in this day and age for a bolt action which takes a running jump to strip a round from the mag and force it into the chamber. There's no need to grab the buttstock with my left hand (thus losing my rear bag position) in order to control the gun while I'm forcing the bolt forward. The gun shot very well, but it's action was unacceptable.

This is one of the reasons I have no use for every DTA I've shot -- they feed rounds like dog doo.

Ya, I've had others comment about how smooth my bolt rifles cycle, sure helps me with running the bolt while a bullet is in the air on the long ball stage at T3. Moving those feed lips just a little makes a huge difference. Having my triggers timed also helps on how smooth my actions cycles. Now all my secrets are out, don't tell Scott!

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
That drop rifle was a Meredith build on a Stiller TAC action. I heard someone say that the rifle got accidentally kicked over into the dirt during a tranistion by a previous team, may be one of the reasons it fed badly.

Now for my GAP templar (Defiance) action, it fed rounds effortlessly until I added foreign matter in the way of wild grass that had the consistency of wheat stock. It fire-formed my brass to the shape of the grass and seeds. Accuracy didn't seem to be impacted though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alpine,

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
The birth of a 6 Creed....

Link for Iphone folks: https://youtu.be/KBNQo-eiJ8g

This is just after chambering a 6mm Hawk Hill Marksman contour in 6mm Creedmoor. Going to play with this caliber a while on my match gun (Surgeon action/ KMW stock). Almost switched it up to a 6 Dasher last minute but decided to stick with the plan. Finished this one at 25" and will Cerakote FDE to match the already coated action. Most likely try it out this weekend.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How was that Hawk Hill barrel compared to the one you chambered for me to indicate? Mine is shooting lights out BTW!

How do like the Marksman contour compared to the Heavy Palma?

Look forward to 6CM range report. 4350/Hybrids?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
How was that Hawk Hill barrel compared to the one you chambered for me to indicate? Mine is shooting lights out BTW!

How do like the Marksman contour compared to the Heavy Palma?

Look forward to 6CM range report. 4350/Hybrids?

This Hawk Hill was even better and that's saying a lot. Straightest barrels I've ever seen. Have another one of theirs in the machine now. It's a custom contour they made to a drawing I provided that's going on a Steyr SSG08. I'll be chambering it in 6.5x47. It was near perfect when indicating in also. Very very happy with their quality.

Yes, I'll start with H4350 and 105 hybrids. Probably going to shoot it this Sunday afternoon along with the Steyr project.

I'm liking the Marksman contour. Here it is stuck in the stock before Cerakoting. So far I like it as good or better for this gun as the Heavy Palma.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
That drop rifle was a Meredith build on a Stiller TAC action. I heard someone say that the rifle got accidentally kicked over into the dirt during a tranistion by a previous team, may be one of the reasons it fed badly.

Now for my GAP templar (Defiance) action, it fed rounds effortlessly until I added foreign matter in the way of wild grass that had the consistency of wheat stock. It fire-formed my brass to the shape of the grass and seeds. Accuracy didn't seem to be impacted though.

I didn't realize that was a Stiller action. Until I saw your rifle's grass-induced feeding issues, I would have poo-poo'd the Stiller's less-than-stellar feeding. It's possible there was a lot of dirt in the Stiller, but I still don't get warm fuzzies about it.

At Rifles Only I experienced a shooting station similar to Field Stage 3, station 2 -- standing in a ditch with the rifle resting on the top of the ditch's bank. I got a bunch of dirt in the gun's mag well as I had to rest the gun on bare ground. All I could do was wipe the mag well out with my finger, blow into the action, and move on to the next station. A couple of bolt guns went down that day, but my Defiance action kept on going.

But grass/weed in the action may be a much different matter. You now have a "green" Colorado gun. Wink I'm not certain they allow that kind of "recreation" in Wyoming....

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:

I didn't realize that was a Stiller action. Until I saw your rifle's grass-induced feeding issues, I would have poo-poo'd the Stiller's less-than-stellar feeding. It's possible there was a lot of dirt in the Stiller, but I still don't get warm fuzzies about it.

At Rifles Only I experienced a shooting station similar to Field Stage 3, station 2 -- standing in a ditch with the rifle resting on the top of the ditch's bank. I got a bunch of dirt in the gun's mag well as I had to rest the gun on bare ground. All I could do was wipe the mag well out with my finger, blow into the action, and move on to the next station. A couple of bolt guns went down that day, but my Defiance action kept on going.

But grass/weed in the action may be a much different matter. You now have a "green" Colorado gun. Wink I'm not certain they allow that kind of "recreation" in Wyoming....

Certainly wouldn't judge that Stiller action because it wasn't feeding smoothly. The mags exx1976 saw me tweaking for a buddy at the T3 match was for a Templar (Defiance) action. I shot with him a few weeks prior at a match, watched him struggle with feeding, he blamed the action. Didn't have the tweaker with me, told him to bring his mags to the next match. Fixed him up in jiffy. Local gunsmith Mark Chanlynn will ask for all your mags being used on a build/barreled action so he can run some dummy rounds/tweak the mags if needed, don't know why more gunsmiths don't do that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Certainly wouldn't judge that Stiller action because it wasn't feeding smoothly.

Gotcha. I will look at my mags when I have a chance and compare them to your picture a few posts above of a loaded mag.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Shot at a mile today. 67 minutes elevation.

It was a buck a shot, closest to center wins. I took 25 shots. Two of them, back to back shots, were within an inch of one another. I'm close enough to center that they needed to go down and measure with calipers to see if it was me or another guy.

The NE wind was punishing. I lucked out on those two shots, and only needed to hold 2 moa right. Some of the other impacts I had were as much as 8 moa right.

Overall, I went 9/25. The other impacts weren't worth talking about, other than to say a 3 second flight time is REALLY weird.

Match officially starts tomorrow morning at 0700. They will announce the mile winner, and the prize, at the awards dinner tomorrow.

As for the heat - I'm wearing light colored clothes this time, and drinking a LOT of water and Gatorade. I should be good tomorrow. I hope.

If you guys don't hear from me again, a rattlesnake got me.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
He's alive!

Razz

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
If you guys don't hear from me again, a rattlesnake got me.

The punch line for the joke of the guy who receives a snake bite in the privates,
"Yer gonna die."

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Did this one today. Steyr SSG08 in 6.5x47. Not a whole lot of data available for these and this is possibly the first of its kind in this caliber. It has a unique bushing arrangement inside the action (safety and locking lug) and headspaces differently than most. It required a custom contour barrel also that fits up inside the action. Got that made from Hawk Hill. Excited about this one. Still have to pull it back apart and coat it but ran out of time for this week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jelrod1,