SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
This years match with a minimum of 600yds, max 1900yds, I'm getting scared!

I may find out if Hornady's ELD-M bullets fly well from Mach 2.5 all the way down Mach .9

I am preparing my backside to be familiar with contact from boot treads.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple buddies just ordered some Flat Line solid bullets. 198's (G1 BC .855) for a 300WM and 151's (G1 BC .664) for a 7SAUM. Should be interesting! Will post the results.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Battle of Breakneck registration just opened:

https://nebraskaprecisionriflemen.com/

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
A couple buddies just ordered some Flat Line solid bullets. 198's (G1 BC .855) for a 300WM and 151's (G1 BC .664) for a 7SAUM. Should be interesting! Will post the results.

If your rifles are long throated for the heavy Berger's you may not have stellar results. I didn't, YMMV

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Battle of Breakneck registration just opened

I'm in. However my web browser gave me warnings that their credit card payment system site wasn't secure. After a couple tries I just bypassed the warnings. Word via offgrid's buddy that the payments are secure, but site cert wasn't set up properly.

Of course if I see purchases for a Russian bride or a truckload of male enhancement pills on my card statement, their site may not be all that secure.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
quote:

If your rifles are long throated for the heavy Berger's you may not have stellar results. I didn't, YMMV

Buddies rifles, SA 7saum throated for Hornady 162 and a TRG42 300WM long throat, going to be jumping them a mile.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Of course if I see purchases for a Russian bride or a truckload of male enhancement pills on my card statement, their site may not be all that secure.

Or if your normal order doubles Big Grin

posted Hide Post
No brides on the list, especially not Russian. However if the entire Swedish bikini team shows up on my doorstep, a few of those little blue pills might just be handy. I wonder of Red Bull mixes well with cheap champagne....

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Buddies rifles, SA 7saum throated for Hornady 162 and a TRG42 300WM long throat, going to be jumping them a mile.

That's where it went bad for me. Accuracy just wasn't that good. My .300 Norma is throated for the heavy Berger's. I initially loaded mag length with the Flatlines but accuracy was not up to where the Berger's were.

Spoke with Dan Warner about the issue and decided to try and load to the rifling and single load. Just to see if the accuracy returned. The bullet fell out of the case before I got to the rifling. I abandoned the project for the winter.

This is not a rip on Warner's bullets. I think they are the prettiest bullets I've ever seen. During workup I saw speeds of 3350fps with the 198's. I'm going to revisit the project this year. Have a new Bartlein blank sitting here for this project. Waiting on Mark of SAC to get the reamer dialed in for the 198 and off for machining it goes.

Hope your luck is better than mine with your current chamber.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jlemmy,

no doubt the solids have amazing BC, hard not to look at the ballistics.... What's keeping me from buying them, very little testing I can find on accuracy. The testing I do find have a dog in the fight. As a high volume shooter, cost is a huge factor also for me.
My buddy with the 7saum is a very good shooter, will report his findings.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to see your results. I agree on the cost but in my case the big .30 isn't a high volume shooter. I figure worst case if the barrel I setup for the solids doesn't shoot I'll just have it recut for the Berger's. I'll post my results but it's months away.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Battle of Breakneck registration just opened

I'm in. However my web browser gave me warnings that their credit card payment system site wasn't secure. After a couple tries I just bypassed the warnings. Word via offgrid's buddy that the payments are secure, but site cert wasn't set up properly.

We aren't going to that match this year. The last two years it has been bad news for me there, so we decided to skip it. Plenty of other travel matches on the calendar, so I'm not worried.

Jlemmy - Jim See is building rifles again, and he'll ream it however you want. I took a dummy round to his shop when we did my AI and finished it with a throating reamer to get it JUST where I wanted it. It's kickin ass.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Jlemmy - Jim See if building rifles again, and he'll ream it however you want. I took a dummy round to his shop when we did my AI and finished it with a throating reamer to get it JUST where I wanted it. It's kickin ass.

Thanks ! Warner offered to set up the new barrel but I'm holding off a bit. If I have SAC spin it up I don't need to send the action in. Can just spin it on at home and go shoot.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Jlemmy - Jim See if building rifles again, and he'll ream it however you want. I took a dummy round to his shop when we did my AI and finished it with a throating reamer to get it JUST where I wanted it. It's kickin ass.

Thanks ! Warner offered to set up the new barrel but I'm holding off a bit. If I have SAC spin it up I don't need to send the action in. Can just spin it on at home and go shoot.

Yeah, but Jimmy is driving distance from you. You can make a day trip out of it, have him spin it, and go back home. Plus you get to have the fun of seeing it done! Wink

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
That does change things Big Grin I'll reach out to Mark this week to check his schedule. He was tooling up for this so I'll give him another opportunity before looking further into your option. Thanks for the tip.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
That does change things Big Grin I'll reach out to Mark this week to check his schedule. He was tooling up for this so I'll give him another opportunity before looking further into your option. Thanks for the tip.

Sure thing.

Jimmy is in Decorah, IA, and the name of his shop is Elite Accuracy. Let me know if you have difficulty finding his contact info and I'll put you in touch.

posted Hide Post
I made another step in my multi-year project to upgrade rifle optics. Finally mounted my new Nightforce ATACR 5-25x F1 on the 6.5 Creedmoor, which put a NF 3.5-15x F1 on my SI Defense 20" barrel AR-15, which means the NF 2.5-10x Compact that was on the SI will eventually go to a carbine.

There's no doubt that the ATACR 5-25x is a big scope. Glass quality is very good. Turret clicks are small, but crisp and distinct. The scope has a little bit of tunneling below 8x, however the image is super clear from 5-8x, making the scope very useful at these lower mag levels. Above 20x the proper eyebox is pretty small -- very little forgiveness for cheek weld positions errors. I have some work to do to get comfy behind the scope at higher powers, as the 3.5-15x has a more forgiving eyebox.

My Bartlein 6.5 barrel is still hanging in there after 2,925 rounds down the tube. In the 100-yard sight-in and zero-stop setting process, I shot three 3-round bughole groups of .24", .26", and .28". Elevations required out to 609 yards matched my prior dope, although I need to re-confirm my 100-yard zero when I futzed with the zero-stop setting at the end of the day. I was hoping to spot my own trace with the new scope, but between very dry air and likely iffy technique, I didn't really see it. Dew point was -25 degrees F today, which is the lowest I've seen from my Kestrel.

I placed ~2 MOA steel at 373, 479, 550, and 609 yards. Moving between steel at 17-20 power was a challenge -- the higher magnifications were OK once I was on target, but were a challenge when moving between targets. In steel matches I suspect 10-15x will continue to be my sweet spot for many stations.

The SI Defense AR is now a great gun to shoot with 3.5-15x glass. After an on-paper test at 25 yards, zeroing at 100 yards was easy. Four rounds of FGMM 69 in a bughole of .41" at 100 yards, one click down and one click right of center -- yeehaw. This is the rifle I'll shoot in the Team Safari with offgrid. The AR kicked butt on the same 373 to 609 yard targets, although with more windage than the 140 Amax bullets.

I could spare only a few hours from work to play today, but it was totally worth it.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Anyone try the new Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass yet?
I'm curious because they use a small rifle primer.

Will I see any firing pin issues or blown primers?

I'm really wanting to try some.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Anyone try the new Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass yet?
I'm curious because they use a small rifle primer.

Will I see any firing pin issues or blown primers?

I'm really wanting to try some.

Guessing you have a large firing pin? Could have a problem piercing primers with a large pin, damage your trigger.....

posted Hide Post
A couple more Dasher refrigerator groups. So easy to get these Dashers shooting.

Barrel #5

Silly low ES. Based on past experience, no doubt this load will hold up well at distance.

Good friend shot this when I was with him this week. His Dasher also chambered by jelrod1, Bighorn TL2/Chanlynn barrel.