SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Two APA brakes on hand, two cans on order. I expect to use the brakes during competitions (where recoil reduction is paramount) and cans during practice (where being less irritating to neighboring ranches is paramount).

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
"Ultra 9"???

Sounds like a fabric softener.

"Fat Bastard"???

Not so much. Lol

A can would be nice up north to be neighborly. They are legal there. Its just a matter of a permanent address there I guess.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
"Ultra 9"???

Sounds like a fabric softener.

"Fat Bastard"???

Not so much. Lol

A can would be nice up north to be neighborly. They are legal there. Its just a matter of a permanent address there I guess.

Ultra 9 sounds ultra cool.

And who are you callin Fat Bastard? I joined a gym a couple days ago, dammit! Look at me being all svelte and whatnot! Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Ultra 9 sounds ultra cool.

Speaking of Ultra 9, mine came in, I have actually touched it. And its little .223 brother, too. It's now paperwork processing time and a few more months of waiting.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got back one of my two broken Premiers back early this week. Dealing with Paul Lange the Premier tech has been a very positive experience. He replaced the internals of the elevation turret. He shared with me his torture/check procedure, freezes the scope overnight, wacks on it...checks tracking. He said it's tracking within a tenth of .1 mils. He actually put it on a rifle and shot it... Should get my other scope back next week.

Mounted it up on my 40X yesterday. Zero'd it, shot a couple dot drills at 50yds. The shot 50rds each, standing, kneeling, sitting, prone unsupported. 4" diamond plate at 100yds. Fun stuff! The best of those positions for me is sitting. Need to work on the other three for sure.

I love this 22lr, great trainer and no reloading!!!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to hear your issues with the scopes are being solved. And that is one really, really nice .22

posted Hide Post
Had my 'smith update components on an older AR-15, so it's less of an adjustment to my other ARs -- new rail that allows use of an Atlas bipod, install Wilson TTU trigger, BCM grip. The rifle is much nicer to shoot now.

My only issue with this rifle now is optics -- it sports a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50, and my others have NF glass. The Leupy doesn't have a zero stop, where my NF scopes do. The Leupy has small marks on the elevation turret to indicate the number of turns. Yesterday I was bouncing among various steel plates from 300 to 600 yards, with elevations from 3 to 13 MOA -- 10 MOA per revolution in the elevator turret. Depending on my viewpoint, I can see either 3 lines (head down on the stock) or 4 lines (more upright, say when loading rounds in a mag) on the elevation turret. It didn't happen yesterday, but sooner or later I will incorrectly dial elevation and be 10 MOA high or low. For quick visual reference, I am considering making a "zero stop mark" on the elevation turret with something like a white sharpie or a piece of tape.

Any thoughts on a zero mark? Or other ideas?

FWIW, finances are such that this scope isn't going away anytime soon -- I must live with this glass.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I need another scope for my 6x47 L. I have the opportunity to get a Mk4 6.5-20X at a great price but the lack of a zero stop IS the issue.

The ZS Nightforces have really spoiled me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Any thoughts on a zero mark? Or other ideas?

I believe there are aftermarket knobs available for some models (possibly Kenton Ind.) that have a zero stop feature. I think there is also a shim pack of some sort available that can create a stop on the factory turret. I've not used either personally but may be something to look into.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Fritz,
How much elevation adjustment do you have below zero? Lets say that you have 12-moa for example, you then get a scope mount that adds another 10-moa slope to your system, and then you basically would only have 2-moa below zero, and impossible to get lost in turret turns, or at least below your zero. Obviously another mount would cost additional funds, and may be difficult to find in that optimal slope.

A less costly method is make a mark in one color above zero, and another color below zero. You could use finger nail polish, white out (made in various colors), or Hobby Lobby has fluorescent paints in small bottles and paint pens.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jelrod -- I may look into aftermarket zero stop turrets. Didn't know such thing exists. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alpine -- I can go down 4 rotations (40 MOA) and up 6 (60 MOA). The rifle wears a Larue QR mount. I suspect there is some slope in the mount, but I don't have those records anymore. I really like your suggestion of different colors of paint or nail polish, and I will almost certainly try this first.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Not sure exactly what kind of look you're going for, or if this is a "working rifle", but you could always wrap some thin pinstripe tape around the turret (the base part, not the cap that rotates) to sort of stop the cap from going down any farther. Create your own ZS, if you will.

I don't know if that's what I would do or not, just spitballing here. It would be easy enough to remove when you go to sell it. Paint/whiteout/marker or any of that other stuff may or may not be permanent, and could affect resale value (I know you are working towards F1 NF on all your gear).

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered one of these Sidewinder dope card holders. A few buddies have them. Today I messed around with one on a friends rifle. Like how I don't have to brake my cheek position at all to look at/get my dope for the next target. Also like how it folds flat when in the rifle case. I'll post some more info when I get it.

http://www.shortactionprecisio...der-dope-card-holder

http://www.sidewinderindustries.com/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Offgrid and I shot the Sporting Rifle Match in Raton this weekend. Lots of high scores, unfortunately I was not one of them. Although my score was respectable, I made quite a few mental mistakes. Started off shooting the first stage using my ranges and dope from the practice range, then I used the wrong dope again on the next stage. After that I told myself, Ok, I'll write my dope on my arm band, and then I go and read my dope from the bottom instead of the top. I also caught myself, after the fact using a 10-mph wind hold when I should of used a 5-mph hold. My mind was just not in the game on this one. Otherwise, had a good time as shooting is always fun.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Yea...some days are just like that.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sidewinder dope card holder came in the mail yesterday. Like it. It's always in my field of view, attached to the rifle, folds away.... Came with a dozen blank business cards. Will pick up some card stock and print a pile of cards with a grid. Will use this Saturday at our local T3 match.

posted Hide Post
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Sidewinder. I have a dope card which states, "Don't be a dope". Kick some butt at T3. Again. See ya next month. Currently packing for the team challenge match in Wyoming -- I'm carbine dude and Alpine is rifle guy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Sidewinder. I have a dope card which states, "Don't be a dope". Kick some butt at T3. Again. See ya next month. Currently packing for the team challenge match in Wyoming -- I'm carbine dude and Alpine is rifle guy.

Shoot fast, don't miss, nothing to it! Have fun!

posted Hide Post
Over the last years I've shot a handful of calibers in 6, 6.5, and 7MM. As well as see others around me shooting different calibers. I feel fortunate I can see this stuff first hand, Colorado is a "hot bed" for LR shooting, lots of open space to shoot LR, steel match every weekend.

Of all the calibers I've shot, by a fair margin my 6BR has been the easiest to tune, inherit accuracy, holds vertical over long stings of fire...it's blast to shoot. The 6BR has certainly raised the bar for me in what I expect. A good friend who's been shooting a lot longer then I told me once you chamber a 6BR, you won't shoot your other rifles. I can see that, except for the distances I'm shooting in some steel matches 1000yds+, need a little more horsepower to reach those targets, ring that steel. With the help of a good friend who has a machine shop, I've been able to get the 6BR to reliably feed through a modified AICS mag, I shoot the 6BR at two local matches, max distance 875yds, don't need any more than the 6BR for that distances. It is fun spanking guys burning a lot more powder/faster speeds, "you're shooting a Berger Hybrid how fast?" Of the other calibers, 2nd would be the 284, 3rd 6.5x47. It's interesting the calibers I've experience shoot very well, are the same calibers I see set records in Open F-Class, Benchrest....., not the speed chaser "tactical" calibers, 6 Creedmoor, 6.5 SAUM.... Recently three Dashers have been chambered around me on repeaters for steel matches, good friends, fellow match shooters. Seeing those Dashers shoot, seeing how easy they got them shooting, fair to say the Dashers are right up there with the 6BR. See why the Dasher holds so many records. Have 1000rds on my current 6x47 barrel, at least 20 firings on the brass, brass is about shot and planned on tossing the brass when this barrel dies. When the 6x47 barrel dies, I will chamber a Dasher and have fellow Sig Forum member jelrod1 chamber it for me. With Norma Dasher brass about to be available, makes the Dasher even that much more appealing. The only unknown for me, how long will a Dasher barrel last? I've shot out three 6x47 barrels averaging 2200rds or so. Guessing a Dasher will go longer burning less powder.

Watched a buddy shoot these 5 shots prone/Atlas bipod/rear squeeze bag with his Dasher/Hyrbids at 1000yds, holds vertical amazingly well, about 1 1/2". We commonly check/compare our loads for drop/vertical/get solid dope...on paper at 1000yds at the Colorado Rifle Club F-Class range. Usually there's a target or two still on the racks to re-use. A shot or three on a piece of steel at 1050yds to get the wind call, bang out 5 rds on paper only looking at vertical, can't see our impacts to chase the wind, drive out to see.

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Offgrid, what modifications did you have to do to make the 6BR feed from an AICS mag? I'd like to build a rifle for me in 6BR, but do wnt a repeater for varmint hunting. Thinking of an AICS chassis and Bighorn Action - but am just in the research stage.

quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Over the last years I've shot a handful of calibers in 6, 6.5, and 7MM. As well as see others around me shooting different calibers. I feel fortunate I can see this stuff first hand, Colorado is a "hot bed" for LR shooting, lots of open space to shoot LR, steel match every weekend.

Of all the calibers I've shot, by a fair margin my 6BR has been the easiest to tune, inherit accuracy, holds vertical over long stings of fire...it's blast to shoot. The 6BR has certainly raised the bar for me in what I expect. A good friend who's been shooting a lot longer then I told me once you chamber a 6BR, you won't shoot your other rifles. I can see that, except for the distances I'm shooting in some steel matches 1000yds+, need a little more horsepower to reach those targets, ring that steel. With the help of a good friend who has a machine shop, I've been able to get the 6BR to reliably feed through a modified AICS mag, I shoot the 6BR at two local matches, max distance 875yds, don't need any more than the 6BR for that distances. It is fun spanking guys burning a lot more powder/faster speeds, "you're shooting a Berger Hybrid how fast?" Of the other calibers, 2nd would be the 284, 3rd 6.5x47. It's interesting the calibers I've experience shoot very well, are the same calibers I see set records in Open F-Class, Benchrest....., not the speed chaser "tactical" calibers, 6 Creedmoor, 6.5 SAUM.... Recently three Dashers have been chambered around me on repeaters for steel matches, good friends, fellow match shooters. Seeing those Dashers shoot, seeing how easy they got them shooting, fair to say the Dashers are right up there with the 6BR. See why the Dasher holds so many records. Have 1000rds on my current 6x47 barrel, at least 20 firings on the brass, brass is about shot and planned on tossing the brass when this barrel dies. When the 6x47 barrel dies, I will chamber a Dasher and have fellow Sig Forum member jelrod1 chamber it for me. With Norma Dasher brass about to be available, makes the Dasher even that much more appealing. The only unknown for me, how long will a Dasher barrel last? I've shot out three 6x47 barrels averaging 2200rds or so. Guessing a Dasher will go longer burning less powder.

Watched a buddy shoot these 5 shots prone/Atlas bipod/rear squeeze bag with his Dasher/Hyrbids at 1000yds, holds vertical amazingly well, about 1 1/2". We commonly check/compare our loads for drop/vertical/get solid dope...on paper at 1000yds at the Colorado Rifle Club F-Class range. Usually there's a target or two still on the racks to re-use. A shot or three on a piece of steel at 1050yds to get the wind call, bang out 5 rds on paper only looking at vertical, can't see our impacts to chase the wind, drive out to see.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post