SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Looking forward to meeting you! I'll be all mall-ninja'd up in crye pants & shirt with elbow & knee pads, and of course I'll have my beanland build with a can. Make sure to say hi! Lol

Damn, I may need to look carefully for you, as you might blend into the surroundings. Being all ninja & such.

It will be interesting to see what the guys will cook up for this match, given that we haven't seen much change in stations since last fall. I believe the maximum potential score was 66 for last year's matches. Take a gander at the top banana scores on their website. My first couple of matches resulted in a serious boot prints on my backside. In other words, don't fixate on your score during the match -- everybody struggles on certain stations.

(note to self -- ixnay the usual pink Hello Kitty AR, the Spongebob pants, and the Miley Cyrus concert t-shirt for this match)

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I probably won't blend in too much. Black Camo. Lol

Oh, and my pack is multicam. I'm so mall ninja my Camo patterns aren't even all the same color. Lol

Yeah, website says max score is 66, with a round count of 61. Also it seems the past few winners have done it with scores in the low 40s.

Im less worried about my score, and more worried about getting verifiable dope to 1350. I'm shooting the Walker draw at the end of August, and they have targets to 1200, and a REAL nice prize table. I'd like to try to be as competitive as I can there. T3 is just learning and experience for me. Maybe I'll beat offgrid in Nebraska. Wink

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Cool, offgrid and I are shooting Walker Draw also.

Next week, my partner and I are off to compete in our fifth Wyoming Tactical Rifle Championship. I hear they're mixing it up a little from past years, at least rumor has it.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Maybe I'll beat offgrid in Nebraska. Wink

You just might the way its been going for me in the last few matches. Both my Premiers quit tracking..... One has about 12K rds the other 5K, and between them about 10K of 22lr. Doesn't discourage me what so ever from the Premiers. Both failing bites. Buddy loaned me a S&B 5-25/H2CMR reticle, optically no comparison between the S&B and Premier.

Have very lube if any on your bolt for the T3 match, very dusty. I run my bolt dry, except for a smidge of grease on the back of the lugs.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
That is some seriously unfortunate timing on both Premiers going out near the same time. I bet that had you scratching your head for a while. Let me know your thoughts on that reticle after you get some time behind it. Was considering it for my next. If your borrowed scope needs to be returned before your Premiers get fixed let me know and I'll shoot you an MSR S&B to use until then.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Sucks to hear about your scopes, Offgrid. Will you be at T3?

I normally only run a small bit of slide glide on the back of the lugs, and a tiny bit in the raceway.

You're saying leave the raceway dry then, yes?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Both my Premiers quit tracking.....

That seriously sucks. Best of luck with moving forward. (must be all that recoil from a braked 6x47 -- DOH)

exx -- I use a little grease on the lugs and a very light sheen (not even a coating) of grease on the bolt itself. Never had an issue at either T3 Ranch, our family ranch, or Rifles Only in Texas -- all of which can be really dusty places to shoot. My bolt and action start each day being quite clean, as I remove grit and grime from the action after every day's shooting.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jelrod1, thanks for the offer on the scope. I'm GTG. Talking with the Premier repair tech, should have the scopes back within a couple weeks.

If I were buying a S&B, would get the MSR reticle. The .2 MIL of the H2CMR marks get a little faint to my eye at 15X and below. I commonly shoot as low as 10-12x in field matches. Don't care for the 1 MIL dots, would prefer a taller hash marks. If I were shooting only on a square range and usually on higher magnification, can see the benefit of the .2 MIL marks for precise wind holds.

50/50 on shooting T3. Action raceway dry as well.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, if I were to design my perfect scope. 5-25x56, Premier or Hendsolt glass, Hendsolt eye box/eye relief, Premier turrets with just 10 MIL per rev and the Leupold TMR reticle.

Ya fritz, between all those braked 6x47 and 22lr rds, it's a wonder those scopes didn't crap out on me earlier!

I've had four scope fail on me now. US Optics, bought new, reticle all of sudden was canted after about 500rds. NightForce 5-22, bought new, quit tracking, chased that one around awhile. Premiers, bought used.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the reticle. I was worried about usability of the .2 marks. The MSR has served me well and will probably just stick with it. I find it fast and works well on lower powers.

Jury is still out on the USO I have on the Manners gun. I ended up with it in a trade and trying it out. It tracks fine and glass is good enough for its use, but I despise the Erek knob. Way too low. I have to break position to make an adjustment because I can't see the numbers over the rings.

I guess I get used to things and it causes resistance to change. Happens to me on triggers and stocks too. Still like to try new things out though sometimes.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Pretty good day, went out to a friends ranch, and did some preliminary ranging for placing steel targets on his property. So far, we have distances marked for 1000, 1105, 1195, and 1315-yards. My friend is going to build a 8' x 8' elevated platform to shot off of that will give us 180-deg arc of potential targets. At one time, the area was a surface coal mine, which has since been reclaimed, and only has grass, weeds, and some sage with varying terrain, giving us some good practice in hard to read wind conditions.
Then tonight, we shot a steel match, basically a USPSA pistol match with only steel targets, and no movement. Same rules and scoring, but all informal and unofficial. Good practice for the WTRC next week. Local range has this match every Thursday night during the Summer, but this is only my second time shooting it because of my work schedule. Tonight was my first time in years that I was starting to shoot a pistol instinctively, in this case my SIG 226SL, and not having to concentrate on aiming. It almost made it easy shooting, until the last course of fire, which had targets get smaller at further distances.

I'll practice some more over the weekend as every year I feel the pistol aspect of the WTRC is my weakest performance. I plan on running on the treadmill, then running out and engage targets in my backyard while I'm breathing hard and my heart-rate is up.

Will also try to get some trigger time with my 22LR trainer doing dome positional drills, that helped me alot at the Moorcroft match a couple months ago.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Wasn't sure I'd be able, but got to stretch the legs a bit on the 6.5 creedmoor today. Setup targets at 480, 570, 775, and 1000. Drops trued to 2810 for my 25" barrel with lot 315-XXX. It held vertical very well with those (gasp) factory 140s. Smile I was pleased and it will serve its purpose with those rounds. Took the 6.5x47 along to use as a control. My load in the '47 and the factory creedmoor Amax were very close to the same wind wise. Did have a "no wind" situation for a bit and it was interesting to see the effects of the different twist directions. Plate at 1000 was 9 or 10" wide. Held left edge with my right twist 6.5x47 and right edge with the left twist creedmoor for hits. Center hold with either was a miss. Too many unknowns and little variables to say for sure but found it interesting.

Part way through I pulled the barreled action on the creedmoor and removed the first stage travel. Two stage is just not for me. Was worth the experience but don't think I'll be switching back.

posted Hide Post
I've been beat plenty of times by guys shooting factory 6.5CM ammo.

It is intersting seeing the difference on target between my left twist/right twist barrels. 6.5x47 has a Chanlynn left twist barrel.

Alpine, good luck at your team match next weekend. Nothing to it. Find target, range target, shoot target, don't miss target. Hope it not too windy in Wyoming! Have fun.

Fellow match shooter sent out his Defiance AW cut action (pulled his 6x47 barrel) this week to have it chambered in a 6 Dasher on a Hawk Hill barrel. He shoots as much I do. Look forward to seeing it shoot/feed from mags.... As he gets rounds on it, will report back.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
6 dasher is a dandy chambering. Local guy has one. Prints teeny tiny groups with it. Under an inch at 400 yards.

So, Alpine won't be at t3. Guess I'll have to try harder to beat him in NE. Big Grin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Hey - for those of you that will be at T3 next weekend - are there any powders or primers that you need? I can check local shops and bring some for you if needed. Availability here is decent on most stuff..

Let me know and I'll see what I can find.

posted Hide Post
exx1976,

if you have time before heading to T3, suggest to check your zero without loading your bipod, shoot off of a concrete slab.... Some of stages you will not be able to load your bipod. Ya I know, you're a crack shooter, don't expect to have a POI when not loading your bipod, just try it! You might be spot on. If you are not, will keep you from thinking your dope is off/DA changed.... when you shoot high/low.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
exx1976,

if you have time before heading to T3, suggest to check your zero without loading your bipod, shoot off of a concrete slab.... Some of stages you will not be able to load your bipod. Ya I know, you're a crack shooter, don't expect to have a POI when not loading your bipod, just try it! You might be spot on. If you are not, will keep you from thinking your dope is off/DA changed.... when you shoot high/low.

I don't know about "crack shooter", but thank you for that piece of advice! That could explain my "wandering zero" at the last match I shot...

Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 gazillion

This is a lesson I am (re)learning this year. Repeatedly. IMO there is a difference in POI between loading the bipop (i.e. taking the free play out of an Atlas, so you don't experience bipod hop) and LOADING the bipod (i.e. pressing hard into a stop or barrier). The difference in POI between the two relative pressures is relatively minor with my bolt action rifles, but can really #$&% with me on my ARs. I'm not really certain why the difference yet, but I sure seem to experience it.

Irritating, really. It's messing with my dope on ARs and not giving me the most confidence on them right now.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Can anyone post the GPS coordinates/directions to T3? I've emailed Zach twice and not gotten a response.

Also, if anyone wants to grab dinner Friday night, I'm planning on leaving WI Thursday evening.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Here is a very nicely done article on brakes and their effectiveness. Worth a read if you're into that sort of thing.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/...sults-for-6mm-6-5mm/