SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Here is a very nicely done article on brakes and their effectiveness.

Interesting article. It does quantify the differences between a good brakes (APA Bastard) and cans (TBAC), similar to what both offgrid and I have stated from feel. However, my shoulder does need a little better calibration, as I expected the recoil reduction rates of both the brake and the can to be about 10 percentage points higher.

I figured the JP Large Compensator would be more effective in reducing recoil. As a result of being on a line right next to a guy who uses one, it has "rather healthy" side blast. Eek IMO, more so than the APA Bastard.

Kudos to APA for producing effective brakes -- and ones which can be moved between rifles in just a few seconds without needing crush washers for proper timing. It's really nice to have one brake that fits both my .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. In a couple of days an APA Micro Bastard brake (for my .223 rifles) should arrive via brown Santa.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Can anyone post the GPS coordinates/directions to T3?

Also, if anyone wants to grab dinner Friday night, I'm planning on leaving WI Thursday evening.

I don't have GPS, but I do have directions at home (likely hidden in some bag somewhere). I can grab them tonight.

A quick dinner on Friday should work -- nothing fancy, as my work schedule is nuts. What part of town are you staying?

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
directions to T3?

- from Denver area, east on I-76 to Wiggins
- exit 66A, turn north on route 39
- after a few miles cross the Platte River, pass A-J's Tavern, follow the road as it bends to the right, and changes to route 144
- in a few miles enter the booming town of Weldona. Turn left (north) onto Main Street (just past a welder's yellow business sign)
- follow Main Street as it bends right (east). Turn left (north) on route 10. About this time pavement ends.
- Route 10 bends right, then left, then continues north.
- Follow route 10 north for a few miles. Eventually climb a fairly steep grade, where the ground gets drier and less favorable for grazing. As major power lines cross the road, turn left (west) [I think just after JJ intersection].
- After a few hundred yards, turn right (north) into a shallow valley. This is the parking area for T3 Ranch.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Offgrid - you shooting tomorrow?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Offgrid - you shooting tomorrow?

Yes.

Talked to one of the TriggerTime guys on Weds, the stages will be different. Guessing the mover will not be changed?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Talked to one of the TriggerTime guys on Weds, the stages will be different. Guessing the mover will not be changed?

Just looked at the range cards on the T3 website -- they look like last year's card & setup. So we will get to develop cards on the fly tomorrow.

Movers are definitely more of a challenge to adjust. I have helped the Rifles Only guys change their mover twice -- and RO's mover seems to be of the same design as T3's.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Good luck at the match guys ! Exx, if you happen across Alpine buy him a beer for me. I'll square up with you in September.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Good luck at the match guys ! Exx, if you happen across Alpine buy him a beer for me. I'll square up with you in September.

He is competing elsewhere this weekend, but I'll see him at alter draw next month. Consider it done.

As for tomorrow, I hope they didn't change the round count. I have 86 rounds.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Fritz - using the GPS coordinates Zach emailed to me, Google maps took me a completely different way than you said. Jj to kk to jj again, then jj turns into 10 or something. I found it. Not too bad, about an hour, give or take, from my hotel.

What's with all the "half" County roads? W.5, etc?

posted Hide Post
quote:
What's with all the "half" County roads? W.5, etc?

The eastern plains counties of Colorado are not bases of wealth. The counties can't always afford to build a whole road -- sometimes only half the road can be built. Only one side of the road, base layer but not the top, half the length of the bridge, half the safety rails, half way to the destination....

<< rimshot >>

Actually, I'm uncertain. Maybe the road numbers are based on their distances in miles from some base point. So #5 is five miles from town, #5.5 is five-and-one-half miles from town. Denver started as a cow town -- we ain't so dad gum smartz heer.

posted Hide Post
I drive a silver 4Runner, will be wearing tan pants and a light gray long sleeve shirt.

And shooting a LOUD BRAKED rifle.

(eh, what'd ya say)

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I might buy your 5.5 mile hypothesis, except that they do it with the letters, too. I saw w.5 and t.5 while looking for the parking spot.

I have a black suburban, though I suspect the Wisconsin plates will give me away. Black Camo crye gear and a bluish boonie hat with a neon yellow enduracool.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a beautiful morning in ft Morgan. Hardly any breeze to speak of, so maybe I'll be able to hit some of these targets today. Would be nice for my first match to not get a goose egg.

See you guys in a bit!

posted Hide Post
Kudos to offgrid and exx1976 for taking the top two banana spots in today's T3 match. You guys kicked butt. Keeping with my concept of every train needs engines, middle cars, and a caboose, I figured you guys needed something to pull.

We had a great discussion on training during the post-match victory sammiches. We tactical-type steel-match shooters need to get off our bellies, get out of our square range comfort zones, setup & shoot faster, and shoot for score instead of refrigerator trophy groups. I have my marching orders.

exx1976 gets an "A" for effort in travel distance for a 60-something round match.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I was going to say, that was an epic drive for a regular match. Glad you guys had fun.

Pictures next time?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch. I also have to post my review & thoughts. But I'm tired, dehydrated, and sunburned, and about to go to sleep at a rest stop somewhere just west of Omaha. Lol

Tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
Another fun T3 match. By far the easiest wind I've shot in there, still enought fish tailing wind to push us off the plates if not the right hold.

I liked the changes over the previous matches on some stages. The added target count makes its a little more challenging, opportunity to shoot at the wrong target is greater, little more time pressure... The shoot house having to shoot weak side was fun, although I would have had us shoot the weak side before the strong side on those bottom ports! The three stages that were taken out, I feel were toughest previous stages, old 2, 3 and the stick/tripod only stage. Would like to see a tripod only stage brought back.

I pushed myself on the last "long ball" stage target, 1255yds, to shoot rack my bolt while the bullet is in the air, get back on target with my reticle in the same hold, watch the impact, up against the 2nd stage of my trigger, make an adjustment, shoot. Was on the ragged edge, but managed a 1st and 2nd round hit. Shooting my 6x47 vs the 6.5x47 had to be a little quicker on the bolt. Fun stuff!

Kudos to exx1976 for making the long drive. Good chatting with you and fritz after the match.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

exx1976 gets an "A" for effort in travel distance for a 60-something round match.

I agree. The desire is strong with this one. Kudos indeed.

Nice shooting guys. Very good point about shooting for score in this type shooting instead of for groups. I catch myself constantly getting in a comfort zone and not practicing the hard stuff. I've been taking my barricade to the 100 yard "square range" and shooting dot drills. It gets funny looks from others but I believe it'll make me better with enough practice. Certain positions on the barricade are my biggest weakness right now. Well, besides that wind thing…

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
We just finished up day three of the Wyoming Tactical Rifle Championship. Tough course, they reduced the size of the Carbine target's substantially this year, going from 10" squares to 3 and 4" diamonds. It was no where easy at all. I shot like a terrible turd the first day, I made a big mistake using a different pistol ammo, which made me miss low often. And then my 6.5x47 was shooting progressively high, and got higher as the distance got greater, as if my 140-gr Hybrid had a G7 BC of .595, making me miss those small far targets often. After day one, I figured out my pistol, but still scratching my noggin wondering what the F^€# is going on with my 6.5x47??? Scope, ammo, powder, barrel, etc??? So day two I ran both courses with my suppresor, and that helped even out me shooting high with my normal 6-O'clock POI shift. So we sqeeked by to give us a strong finish of 8th place out of 27-teams.
Now just waiting for the catering truck to show up so we can chow down on some good BBQ.
They're keeping the prize table a big secret, but I hear there will be a ton of good prizes. I know there are at least two Rem 700, and two Glocks on the prize table so far.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alpine,

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpine, congrats on the 8th place finish. I know there were some good teams/shooters there. Who's the winning team? How was the wind?

T3 is all changed up. Guessing it's how you shot that ridge at the Cup? I'll send you a score card with the stages/distances...