SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
There's a couple of you here no doubt sick of my giddiness today on this subject. But I finally found a place to safely stretch things out. The lone pine tree out there is a tad over 1K. Why I never thought of this area before is beside me. Public land, natgas right of way. All legit. Im stoked!

image hosting site

That your dog at 11:00 about 100 yards out?

That's a bear cub. Mama wasn't far behind.

Jlemmy - the bushnell bino/rf combo I'm looking at is advertised right at a grand for the 12x50. I'll let you guys know what I get, and give a review. You could probably sell those nice binos you have to recoup some $...

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Yep. Not a bear. That's "Wind Rivers Blue Max". Aka: "Max", "Doofus", "Turdhead"...to name a few. Good dog. Everytime I touched off the gun, he figured there was a bird out there to fetch somewhere. Lol. Made for an interesting morning. Note to self...next time I go rifle shooting, Max stays home. Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SniperHide Cup recap.

Got there early Thursday afternoon, check out the demo stuff, puts some rounds down range.....There were about 30-40 spots to shoot prone on the practice range, everyone very tight elbow-elbow, shooters in line behind the ones on the ground. Waited about a 1/2 hr or so in line. Shot 20rds, ran through targets from 450-1000yds, dope spot on. With a couple buddies checked out the booths. Gunwerks had a 28 Nosler/their action, JAE stock, NF scope, muzzle brake on demo loaded with Berger 180 Hybrid zipping along at 3210. Steel IPSC at 1000yds, 5.3 MILS elevation dialed, easy hit, suprised how soft shooting it was. Bullet sure got there in hurry, fun stuff. Can see the 28 Nosler as good hunting caliber. LabRadar chrono was set up when I first got there, then it was gone, was told it quit working? APO had a pistol target set up at 20yds, shot 30rds at it to practice. BS'd with others I've met at different matches.

Raining hard Friday morning, muddy mess, cold, windy... First stage 4 story platform, 6 targets to range, only can see 4 of them, 400-1050yds. Run up the stairs to the second story platform/landing, shoot all 6 targets, run to the top, shoot targets again. Didn't think I would have time to range the targets I couldn't see, shot at the 4 I knew the distances, got to the top shot at the 4 had few seconds left, guessed at the other two distances missed both. Hit 6, missed wind calls on the misses. RO scored me for 4 hits, bummer but that happens, guessing he was looking at the wrong targets even though I was barking out which target I was shooting. Next stage V-Tac wall, shoot standing off a supplied tripod/Hog saddle through one of the holes, 3 targets at 345yds, 2 at 545, 1 at 570, two shots each 2 pts 1st round hit, 2nd 1 point, 1st round hit move on. 2-1st round hits, 2-2nd round hits, tough holding still with the wind pushing me around. Next stage I'll remember for a long time. Easy prone, 6 targets, 300-850yds. Typical start standing, mag in/bolt open/plop down shoot. Plop down, got on the 1st target close bolt, bi-pod is a notch to high, roll on my weakside flip rifle upside down adjust bipod with strong hand, done this countless times, as I'm rolling back over bringing my strong hand back, almost back in full prone, bang. Made a crucial mistake not lifting the bolt before adjusting the bipod, my finger was not on the trigger as I came back, my loose dope card/wrist band must have hit it. The RO was on his spotter right next to me, he didn't see what happened. I stopped told him I just had a AD, asked what do want me to do? He said I'm not going to DQ you for that, finish the stage. I finished the stage. Got up, walked around thought about what happened and DQ'd myself. I've seen AD's in matches, never thought it would happen to me. At a recent match watched a big name "jersey" AD and not DQ himself, thought what a piece of ****. A few fellow shooters called me that night, one of them a military sniper trainer telling me don't beat yourself up over it, shoot long enough a AD of some sort is going to happen, learn from it, don't let it happen again and good for you for DQ'ing yourself. A sponsored shooter called me yesterday telling me he's sending me a case of 69 grain 5.56 ammo for doing the right thing DQ'ing myself, softens what happened a little bit, still sucks.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
SniperHide Cup recap.

Got there early Thursday afternoon, check out the demo stuff, puts some rounds down range.....There were about 30-40 spots to shoot prone on the practice range, everyone very tight elbow-elbow, shooters in line behind the ones on the ground. Waited about a 1/2 hr or so in line. Shot 20rds, ran through targets from 450-1000yds, dope spot on. With a couple buddies checked out the booths. Gunwerks had a 28 Nosler/their action, JAE stock, NF scope, muzzle brake on demo loaded with Berger 180 Hybrid zipping along at 3210. Steel IPSC at 1000yds, 5.3 MILS elevation dialed, easy hit, suprised how soft shooting it was. Bullet sure got there in hurry, fun stuff. Can see the 28 Nosler as good hunting caliber. LabRadar chrono was set up when I first got there, then it was gone, was told it quit working? APO had a pistol target set up at 20yds, shot 30rds at it to practice. BS'd with others I've met at different matches.

Raining hard Friday morning, muddy mess, cold, windy... First stage 4 story platform, 6 targets to range, only can see 4 of them, 400-1050yds. Run up the stairs to the second story platform/landing, shoot all 6 targets, run to the top, shoot targets again. Didn't think I would have time to range the targets I couldn't see, shot at the 4 I knew the distances, got to the top shot at the 4 had few seconds left, guessed at the other two distances missed both. Hit 6, missed wind calls on the misses. RO scored me for 4 hits, bummer but that happens, guessing he was looking at the wrong targets even though I was barking out which target I was shooting. Next stage V-Tac wall, shoot standing off a supplied tripod/Hog saddle through one of the holes, 3 targets at 345yds, 2 at 545, 1 at 570, two shots each 2 pts 1st round hit, 2nd 1 point, 1st round hit move on. 2-1st round hits, 2-2nd round hits, tough holding still with the wind pushing me around. Next stage I'll remember for a long time. Easy prone, 6 targets, 300-850yds. Typical start standing, mag in/bolt open/plop down shoot. Plop down, got on the 1st target close bolt, bi-pod is a notch to high, roll on my weakside flip rifle upside down adjust bipod with strong hand, done this countless times, as I'm rolling back over bringing my strong hand back, almost back in full prone, bang. Made a crucial mistake not lifting the bolt before adjusting the bipod, my finger was not on the trigger as I came back, my loose dope card/wrist band must have hit it. The RO was on his spotter right next to me, he didn't see what happened. I stopped told him I just had a AD, asked what do want me to do? He said I'm not going to DQ you for that, finish the stage. I finished the stage. Got up, walked around thought about what happened and DQ'd myself. I've seen AD's in matches, never thought it would happen to me. At a recent match watched a big name "jersey" AD and not DQ himself, thought what a piece of ****. A few fellow shooters called me that night, one of them a military sniper trainer telling me don't beat yourself up over it, shoot long enough a AD of some sort is going to happen, learn from it, don't let it happen again and good for you for DQ'ing yourself. A sponsored shooter called me yesterday telling me he's sending me a case of 69 grain 5.56 ammo for doing the right thing DQ'ing myself, softens what happened a little bit, still sucks.

Kudos to you for doing the right thing. I had been following the updates from Frank on Facebook all weekend. I wish I lived closer to some of the bigger PSR matches. I just can't swing the time off and travel with my job at the moment.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Good on you for doing the right thing. I know it must have been difficult, but you only have integrity once..

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Shot in my first match this weekend and managed to get second place! There we only 7 shooters though but I was still happy that I shot pretty well for my first one. This was at Thunder Valley Precision in Kimbolton, OH and was what they call the “Short Course”.

All of it is shot prone on steel targets of varying sizes. There are 3 shooting positions with targets at known distances: #1: 225, 390, 569, and 350 yards. #2: 280, 420, 365, 550, #3: 170, 280, 500, 475. You get 3 tries at each target, 10 points for a 1st round hit, 5 points for a second round hit, 3 for a third.

We shot in teams of two, calling each other’s misses, and had 8 minutes total for both teammates to hit all 4 targets. I managed 1st round hits on all but one of the targets which I hit on the 2nd shot. Margaret won by cleaning the course with all 1st round hits and a perfect score.

They also have the “Intimidator” which is the same format but with targets out to 1165 yards and a bonus target at 1650. Nobody has shot a perfect score on the Intimidator yet.

Wind started off light and was gusting to about 20 mph by the end of the last position. The terrain there makes it a great place to really learn wind reading as the targets are spread out all over the hillsides. I was shooting my Tikka T3 Varmint .308 in an XRay chassis, shooting some pretty standard 175 SMK hand loads. There was one gas gun (also .308 I believe) and the rest were 260 Rem, 6mm or 6.5mm variants from what I saw. I had a great time and plan to go back to more in the future as it’s an awesome place!

The main firing line for open range days. The wide berm is at 600 yards, 1K yards is up on the hill in the center, 1-mile is on the small second hill to the right:

Shooting down into the valley for position 1:

Looking across the valley from position 2:

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
SniperHide Cup recap.

Good for you. Takes some balls to do that at a huge match like the Cup.

May have been just as well. I read something about the scoring being pretty screwed up.

Nevertheless, I am envious of your experience.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Brett B, I shot out there earlier this year. Did a few intimidator stages and a few headhunter stages and had a blast. Drilled the bonus target on the intimidator on the first shot. Think I was smiling all day after that one. Great place to shoot and some really challenging courses of fire. Will be heading back before the years end.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
"Integrity has no need of rules".

Good for you.

Out of sheer ignorance on my part, what that mean for you? Done for the stage? Day? Match??

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:

Out of sheer ignorance on my part, what that mean for you? Done for the stage? Day? Match??

Pack it up, going home. Done for the match.

Nice shooting spot, have fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Brett B, I shot out there earlier this year. Did a few intimidator stages and a few headhunter stages and had a blast. Drilled the bonus target on the intimidator on the first shot. Think I was smiling all day after that one. Great place to shoot and some really challenging courses of fire. Will be heading back before the years end.

Nice! Yeah I bet that hit made your day. I plan to attend more matches there as well so shoot me a message when you are going back.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid
Pack it up, going home. Done for the match.
Sorry to hear that. Admiring your integrity, though!

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
offgrid -- It's unfortunate you experienced the AD. Fortunately nothing happened but a round being sent down range in the general direction of the target. And it sucks that the match was over for you then and there.

But long after the scores of this match are forgotten, people attending the Cup (and others, too) will remember you had the integrity to do the right thing. That's worth a boat load more than any trophy, ribbon, medal, ranking on a scoreboard, or prize money. Karma will be you friend down the road.

Looking forward to shooting with you at the next T3 match, and hearing more about the Cup.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 2nd place Brett! Awesome work.

Offgrid, sucks that you DQ'd.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Offgrid, just going to reiterate what has been posted already. Classy move. I shot with a guy recently that had an AD and brushed it off like it was no big deal. I'm always very careful with my muzzle and trigger like yourself.

Could you possibly be a little more specific on the piece of kit that caused it ?

By your description your dope card isn't on the rifle but on your wrist.

If so what is your solution to keep it from rearing its ugly head again ? I know you mention lifting the bolt handle but I'm sure you have given it even more thought.

Just trying to insure myself and everyone here learns from your incident. I know it burns in when it happens for real much better than reading it but perhaps we can all learn a great lesson from it.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear the details as well.

Ive witnessed a few NDs over the years doing pistol training. One from an instructor who's credentials are beyond reproach. Shit happens. Especially in a dynamic training environment. Not so much different in a high stakes match Id imagine.

I have had my own moment of mental tardiness in the shop. The empty casing is now on a wood plaque front and center on the loading bench. Airplanes are the same way...every once in a while they bite. Reminds you to not be so complacent and that no matter what your skill level, the learning never stops.

After you complete the AAR in your head, Id appreciate your thoughts.

posted Hide Post
jlemmy,

here's my dope card/wrist band. Simple elastic band/Kydex/velcro. Have a bunch of laminated cards/velcro on the back. Purposely have it fairly loose. Most guys I shoot with have it on their weak hand, I prefer on my strong hand, I adjust my scope with my strong hand, look at the card while adjusting..... works for me.

Mistake I made was not lifting my bolt when I adjusted the bipod. I always lift the bolt, for some reason I did not. Tried to duplicate what happened, I could see how the corner of Kydex caught the trigger, incredibly slim odds, but I was able to duplicate it. Moving forward will certainly have a very high awareness of that bolt!

When shooting multiple targets on a stage in match or practicing I feel a good habit to get into is not closing my bolt until dope is dialed (if dialing) and on the next target. This may cost me a fraction of second vs shoot/cycle bolt..... Believe it's a good habit, it transfers over to positional stages where we move to the next position with bolt open.

The dope card pictured is from that stage. Have a velcro patch on the top of my back pack, that cards new home, constant reminder.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the details. I've struggled with how to keep the dope close at hand and easy to access. On the side of the stock doesn't work for me as I like to be able to read it behind the rifle. I ordered the dope thing from TAB gear but don't always run with the sling on. I think I'm going to use a piece of webbing and attach it to the unused sling stud on the AICS. We shall see if that works. If it doesn't the wrist band might be next.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jlemmy,

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
That's certainly a pisser offgrid. With the chatter buzzing around that some people were taking advantage of the scoring situation, I'm sure your actions proved to others that integrity is still in the sport. Saw some familiar east coasters in the top 20. Looked like a fun setup. That tower sure looked like a challenge.

Nice shooting BrettB. Sounds like a fun time.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
I've struggled with how to keep the dope close at hand and easy to access. On the side of the stock doesn't work for me as I like to be able to read it behind the rifle. I ordered the dope thing from TAB gear but don't always run with the sling on. I think I'm going to use a piece of webbing and attach it to the unused sling stud on the AICS. We shall see if that works. If it doesn't the wrist band might be next.

For matches with the time to make pre-printed cards (like T3, for most of last year), I use a Nike "wrist coach" (or whatever they call it in the sporting goods stores). Cheap but effective. The time is invested making cards for different weather conditions. For me, that means different density altitudes.

I have seen a number of guys use something similar to what offgrid shows above, however most are lower tech -- a piece of masking tape over a flat surface. Offgrid's thought process of using the right arm for the card makes sense, but I'm used to the left arm and will stick with it for now.

I saw TAB's dope thing up close. Given offgrid's advice of disconnecting the carrying sling for each shooting station, it means it's a no-go for me.

I have pre-printed dope cards (for various density altitudes) in 25 yard distance increments that I can hang from my scope. This works when there is a lot of time for a given number of shots, but doesn't work so well when there's time pressure for a given stage.

Bottom line -- I like the wrist band concept, although one single type may not be the best for all shooters or all situations.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post