SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I've only experienced headwind changing dope dramatically one time at my range. It was over 20mph and changed impact either .4 or .5 mil at 1000, having to come up more during the wind. I wrote it off as being compounded by terrain even though the range owner was there telling me otherwise. After that wind died everything went back to normal and I've not had it happen since. I won't forget it but was very odd.

I finally had a weekend away from work and had plans to shoot movers. Had everything packed Friday night for a full day Saturday and my well quit. Had to cancel last minute and fix it Saturday instead of shooting so I could work today instead of dealing with it. The way it goes...

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The strongest winds I've shot in were in Texas, 20-25 mph from 8-9 o'clock. I haven't shot in heavy head winds or tail winds. I could have shot in a 20-ish mph headwind on Saturday at our ranch, with rain for added pleasure. But being a wuss, I packed up the rifle and jumped in the car just before the storm hit.

I did a little scope swapping on rifles, putting a NF 3.5-15x FFP on the .308 (my practice rifle), and now the optics are the same as on my 6.5 Creedmoor (my competition rifle). It's much nicer not having to futz with magnification so much to keep reticle windage holds accurate.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my neighbors rifle, Sako Finnbear L61R 338 Win Mag. The serial number suggest it was made in the late 1960's. He's had it about 20yrs, only shot it a few times, last time about 15yrs ago. It's a cool old rifle, seems well made. He bought it used, came with a bunch of brass, dies.... He wants to shoot a elk with it this coming season. I volunteered to help him. I cleaned it up, stripped the bolt, trigger.... The crown has a bugger on it, will take it to a friend/gunsmith have him re-crown it. Work up a load for it with maybe some Nosler Accubond 225's or 250's. Have a couple pounds of IMR4350, that seems to be a commonly used powder, give that a try. Haven't shot this light of a rifle/large caliber in some time. Don't see myself pounding a lot rounds down range with it! Scope on it is Bushnell of some sort, not good. His budget is $600-800 for a scope. Any suggestions for a scope would be appreciated.

Once I get it shooting will take him out to my favorite range and get him on steel at various distances.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Sako is a nice looking rifle. I think you should borrow it for our next T3 match. I can't imagine that the recoil would be much different than your braked 6mm. Just think how easy it will be for us to see your hits!

Probably lots of options for scopes. I put a Leupold VX-3 on my Dad's hunting rifle, and I can't complain. You might start by having him narrow down his preferred magnification range and type of reticle. As a hunting rifle he likely won't want exposed elevation & windage dials (as in tactical-type scope) but he may want some kind of wild-assed-guess BDC reticle.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The only issue I have is with the sling attachment on the PRS stock -- it doesn't have a quick detach point and sources for adapters are a bit slim.

There's a guy on the hide that makes them...

The guy on snipershide is now a no-go. Brownells' QD version hasn't been in stock since Moby Dick was a minnow. So I ordered TAB Gear's sling attachment for a stock that has no QD feature. I will just loop it around the bar on the PRS stock, then bounce back and forth between rifles with the front 3/4 of the TAB sling.

Hopefully this won't be a big deal -- the rear 7 or 8 inches of the TAB sling will attached to the PRS stock.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
The only issue I have is with the sling attachment on the PRS stock -- it doesn't have a quick detach point and sources for adapters are a bit slim.

The guy on snipershide is now a no-go. Brownells' QD version hasn't been in stock since Moby Dick was a minnow. So I ordered TAB Gear's sling attachment for a stock that has no QD feature. I will just loop it around the bar on the PRS stock, then bounce back and forth between rifles with the front 3/4 of the TAB sling.

Hopefully this won't be a big deal -- the rear 7 or 8 inches of the TAB sling will attached to the PRS stock.

What happened to the guy on the hide?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
This thing is working out nicely for me, have it in my field of view w/o taking my cheek off the rifle.

offgrid,

I broke down and ordered one of these boards. Those magnets are pretty darn strong for their size. The quality appears pretty good. So...
- Mine has a paper-ish layer stuck quite firmly to the back of the white board. Do you just keep this on the board or did you scrape/peel yours off?

- What kind of marker is that? Dry erase? Grease pencil? I have an old-school grease pencil, but it's one of those with a wood shaft and I must sharpen it. Your marker seems a bit nicer to carry in a pocket.

posted Hide Post
quote:
What happened to the guy on the hide?

Evidently it may be some time before he has machine access again.

posted Hide Post
fritz,

Ya, those neo magnets are plenty strong.

Grease pencil, bought a couple at McGuckins in Boulder.

My board did not come with anything on the back. Guessing the backer on yours is a protective layer to keep the plastic from getting scratched during shipping?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Yesterday afternoon was the first of our Wednesday shoots at the Great Falls Shooting Sports range, north of Gt Falls.

Tricky winds from 8-14 mph that changed as time went on. Tough afternoon.

Any MT shooters interested to shoot some steel from 675 to 1260 yards your welcome to attend. We shoot every Wednesday from 1800 to dark. Weather permitting.

Primitive conditions; a graveled firing line, so bring a portable bench or ground pad.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a buddies rifle. TRG 22 308 he bought used that he had re-barrelled by Jon Beanland. Rock Creek 24" RV contour 8 twist chambered in 260, Hensoldt 4-16 NH1 in a Sphur mount. If I were to buy a factory rifle, this would be it. Buy used, re-barrel it in a 6mm or 6.5mmm of some flavor. Shooting fellow Colorado member Alpine's TRG a few years ago is what made me change over to a two stage triggers, TRG has a fanatstic fully adustable two stage trigger. The Hendsolt scope is the best glass I've looked through, eye box is very good. If it were 22X, would have Hensoldts on my rifles instead of the Premier 5-25. This TRG/Hensoldt is a very nice set up.

I have more free time then my buddy. I'm going to work up a load for him. Have H4350, Berger 140 Hybrids or Berger 130 VLD's, Lapua brass, BR2's. Enough 260 shooters around me to get me pointed in the right direction with powder charge..... Should be fun!

posted Hide Post
FN in MT, how you coming along on your 6x47?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Shooting fellow Colorado member Alpine's TRG a few years ago is what made me change over to a two stage triggers

I have more free time then my buddy. I'm going to work up a load for him.

Looks like a nice rifle. Developing a load should be a good project for you -- now that the T3 match has been rained out. I suspect the mud is pretty darn nasty at the ranch right about now.

(Just watch out for those two stage triggers on cold days with cold hands. You should have been the first guy to clean the T3 mover station...)

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Looks like PMM is making PRS stock QD attachments now:

http://www.parkermountainmachi..._QD_Sling_Mount.html

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have more free time then my buddy. I'm going to work up a load for him. Have H4350, Berger 140 Hybrids or Berger 130 VLD's, Lapua brass, BR2's. Enough 260 shooters around me to get me pointed in the right direction with powder charge..... Should be fun!
Hey offgrid, no idea what the Bergers need/like, but if you were shooting Lapua Scenar 139 (or 136), try between 42.5gr and 43.0gr of H4350. My 260 (Bartlein M24 26", also 8 twist) does well with the 139s, Lapua brass, 42.8gr H4350, @2870fps.

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rbdub474
posted Hide Post
Offgrid, my load for the 260 is Lapua brass, BR2 primers, 140 Berger Match Hybrid on top of 44.0gr of H4350. Still working on COAL, but I shot a .86" 5 shot group at 300yds last week. That is with a 24" 8TW Bartlein M24.

Posts: 839 | Location: East Central MO | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have EVERYTHING but my DEFIANCE action. The reamer showed up a week ago, the next day so did the Hart barrel.

Defiance recently moved from their old factory to a new one. The word is that the move will result in about a 4 week delay.

So I should be getting it sometime in June.

My Elite Iron can is in, but once again...waiting on ATF for the paperwork. Hoping to be approved by June/July.

Hurry up and WAIT.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

I have EVERYTHING but my DEFIANCE action. The reamer showed up a week ago, the next day so did the Hart barrel.

Defiance recently moved from their old factory to a new one. The word is that the move will result in about a 4 week delay.

So I should be getting it sometime in June.

My Elite Iron can is in, but once again...waiting on ATF for the paperwork. Hoping to be approved by June/July.

Hurry up and WAIT.

FN in MT

Yeah, I saw pics of the new floor space on their Facebook page a few days ago.

Trust me, a Defiance action is worth the wait. I love my deviant.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E26R-40-BSE and rbdub474,

thanks for sharing your 260's loads. I'll start at 42 with the 140's, 43 with the 130's see where that takes me.

E26R still haven't forgot about "The Shot" Mrs. E26R made a few years ago. She plops down behind my rifle that she never shot before. You, Sweden and I glued to our scopes, 12" wide plate at 1018yds, center hit. That was some shot! Should try to get together this summer at Chaffee, see if should can repeat, my money says she can do it.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
EXX1976,

Yeah, preaching to the Choir regarding the Defiance actions. My Smith uses them several times a year for builds and really likes them. All of them straight and square.

My 6.5 x 47 is on a Defiance and I couldn't be happier.

Hope my can show up quickly. I'd like to get the ENTIRE project done in one day versus building the gun, then removing the bbl again to thread for the can.