SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Fritz -

Sent my F4 off today for my Ultra 9. w00t!!

Any word on yours yet?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Any word on yours yet?

Soon--ish. Sorta. Kinda. We think. Maybe.

Evidently the .223 can will be first, with the .308 further down the road.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
OK exx...now that youre rehydrated and running on all cylinders, what are you changing and doing different for the next one gear-wise?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
For the next one, I won't be carrying so much crap.

My load out for the next one:

portable air conditioner
rear bag
ammo (in some lighter carrying container, perhaps a ziploc bag)
one or two granola bars
2L of gatorade (half frozen as per fritz's instruction)
2L water (same treatment)
ears
data book
pen
sling
bipod
can
mirage cover
barricade bag
binos
lens cleaning kit
enduracool towel
sunscreen

I'll be drinking a gallon of water the day before, and 1/2 gallon the morning of the match. No beer the night before, and no coffee the morning of.

If the temperature is even APPROACHING 80 degrees, I'll be wearing light-colored gear (NOT BLACK!!).

when I'm finished with a stage, the first thing I'll be doing is dialing my magnification back down. I wasted a bunch of time adjusting my magnification on the clock at every single stage trying to locate targets.

I think I might try to make the October match. Weather should be more agreeable for me, and it shouldn't be snowing yet so the drive will be easy. Wanna join me, entropy? jlemmy?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
We have a saying here in Colorado...

If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.

Out on the Eastern Plaines of Colorado, October could still be Summer like, or it could be down in the 40's, at least in the early Morning. I remember the Febuary T3 Match being in the high 20's when we started, and by the time we made it to the Shoot House, it was T-shirt weather.

The next T3 Match that I'll be able to attrnd is September, and really looking forward to it.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Honestly, Alpine, I'd rather have it be 30 than 95. It's easy to put more clothes on. There's only so much you can take off before someone calls the cops. Big Grin

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Whats the altitude out there? Dont underestimate that either. I spend lots of time at 7800', which is what the cabin usually rides at. Im not doing a ton of exertive things though. I do know that in the past, Denver overnights I didnt sleep very well. Id try going out there at least two days early to help get acclimated.

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Whats the altitude out there? Dont underestimate that either. I spend lots of time at 7800', which is what the cabin usually rides at. Im not doing a ton of exertive things though. I do know that in the past, Denver overnights I didnt sleep very well. Id try going out there at least two days early to help get acclimated.

The nearest town is Fort Morgan, which is around 4,300' ASL. T3 Ranch is a bit above the South Platte River, so maybe 4,500' for the ranch.

FYI, for each 1,000 meters in elevation, air pressure decreases by 10%, and thus proportionally our body's ability to absorb oxygen. Assuming 4,500', the conversion is 1,371 meters. From sea level, one's lung capacity is effectively cut by almost 14% at T3.

As for acclimation, more than a few moons ago I seriously considered high altitude climbing. The general rule is our bodies can fully acclimate to only 1,000 feet elevation change per day. Therefore, when climbing a big peak (Himalayas, Andes, Denali), you move camps up the hill roughly 3,000 feet at a time, taking 3 days of supply stocking & resting before sleeping at the next higher camp. In Colorado we see the effects of people moving up too fast during ski season, where people go immediately to Summit County (Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain) at +/- 9,000' ASL and feel like dog doo for much of their vacation.

I have seen people with the first stages of pulmonary edema (coughing up pink frothy crap from their lungs) while climbing in Colorado and Mexico, and while skiing it Colorado. The effects of altitude aren't something to ignore.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
No, they're not. Which is why one of us must be on the hose above FL250 whenever there is only one guy up there. If you smoke, multiply the effects times about 5.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Kestrel showed up today. 4500 Bluetooth. Now I can get accurate station data in the boonies!

Now all I need is a laser range finder and binos. Seriously considering the Leica units. Spent a fair amount of time behind them in Colorado and they were nice. Also tried them at a match in MN. Two birds, one stone, buy once, all that jazz.

We'll see.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
The ridge line we shoot ftom at T3 is 4800-ft ASL.

I also prefer cooler weather over heat. When I'm out playing in the snow, the perfect temperature for me is around 18 to 20-deg, maybe 15-deg if its one of those Blue Bird days after a fresh pile of champagne powder accumulated overnight.

Its 54-deg right now, and I've got windows open trying to cool down the house. Anything over 68-deg is too hot for me.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
The Walker draw is going to be a blast for you then. Lol

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Id like to go just to experience the crisp morning weather. Thin air, with just a little sting in it, faint smell of rangeland, the sound of a slight breeze working its way past...and a whole bunch of folks with guns. Whats not to like?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Id like to go just to experience the crisp morning weather. Thin air, with just a little sting in it, faint smell of rangeland, the sound of a slight breeze working its way past...and a whole bunch of folks with guns. Whats not to like?

Then you should bid for that weekend off and come with me in October!

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Waterfowl hunting in ND with the sons at end of October. Only so much fun is allowed per month! Besides, do you know how loud my rifle is? I might scare the antelope!! Big Grin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Waterfowl hunting in ND with the sons at end of October. Only so much fun is allowed per month! Besides, do you know how loud my rifle is? I might scare the antelope!! Big Grin

Fritz and offgrid both use brakes. And there was a guy in my squad with a braked WinMag. I don't think anyone will be upset at your rifle being loud. LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:

Besides, do you know how loud my rifle is? Big Grin

Don't apologize for using a brake. You're letting those delicate flower suppressor activist get to you.

I'll do whatever I need to do to help me shoot better/win a match. The delicate flowers don't like my brake, too bad, shoot somewhere else!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

Besides, do you know how loud my rifle is? Big Grin

Don't apologize for using a brake. You're letting those delicate flower suppressor activist get to you.

I'll do whatever I need to do to help me shoot better/win a match. The delicate flowers don't like my brake, too bad, shoot somewhere else!

Hey now, us delicate flowers aren't calling you names! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:

Bring on the name calling. We manly-man brake guys can take it. And we won't hear you anyway.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Bring on the name calling. We manly-man brake guys can take it. And we won't hear you anyway.

Says the guy with an Ultra 9 on order... Big Grin