SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Now I've been motivated to pull the trigger on a new optic for my go to carbine. Been shopping for a few weeks now. Hoping the sting of buying it will wear off when it's in hand. It's scope was robbed for a recent big bore AR build.

This bolt action 22LR dream of mine has been recurring for years. Your posts have fanned the flames. Been eying the Sako's for a while now but no decisions have been made. I agree on how the trigger time would help with the other rifles.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya, 22LR's are great trainers, lots of fun and no reloading!

jlemmy, 40x's are that cats meow for trainers especially now the repeater mod/magazines are available. Can build them to mimic your center-fire rifles/R700 clones. Same chassis, trigger, barrel contour, weight, balance....

I've had this 40X for several years, many thousands of rounds through it. Feel very strongly the time I put into shooting it has greatly improved my shooting skills. Lots of fellow competitors around me train with 22's and quality PCP air rifles.

Very accurate! Shot this right after getting the repeater mod done by jelrod1. I was a little worried running rounds through a mag would mess up the bullet tips, hurt accuracy, not the case.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm talking about right there. Very nice trainer you have there. I've heard the 40x is one of the best choices but availability is an issue. I see Remington sells a model 547 now which I'm sure doesn't measure up. I've looked at the CZ's but the Sako Quad looks nicer to me. Even toyed with trying to get one of Stiller's new rimfire actions. Looks like this may be a spring project. Need to let the play account recover after todays ordering binge.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40X single shots pop up on Gunbroker. Bit of crap shoot if the barrel is still good, would go into it thinking it needs a new barrel. Bought my 40X from CMP, barrel was toast. Alpine has a couple 40X's bought off of Gunbroker, both shoot well with the original factory barrel.

I occasionally shoot a 22 steel match, little targets out to 200-225yds. 40X's and Anschutz do very well. I've shot against a good shooter with a Sako Quad, me and my 40X shoot inside him Big Grin Believe he bought it as part of a EuroOptics group buy, Manners stock..

MDT is now making a chassis for Anschuts 54/64's. Drop a Anschutz 54 repeater barreled action into the MDT chassis with a Magpul PRS buttstock... This would be a good way to go if the chassis is to your liking.

http://www.champchoice.com/sto...lOptions&item=007714

https://mdttac.com/lss-22-chassis-system.html

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I'm a fan of that chassis. Would have to see one in person.

Maybe I'll keep an eye open for a 40x over the winter. I was looking at the Quad with the Lilja upgrade. I wouldn't be opposed to an Annie but I know nothing about their offerings.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Now I've been motivated to pull the trigger on a new optic for my go to carbine. Been shopping for a few weeks now. Hoping the sting of buying it will wear off when it's in hand.

I struggle to determine what is my ultimate example of a carbine scope. I definitely prefer magnified zoom optics and I like some kind of reticle that's more complex than a red dot. Then things get wonky.

I currently own Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x, Vortex Viper PST 1-4x, and Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x as low-powered optics for carbines/uppers. All have their strengths, all have their weaknesses. All are very good for their intended use on relatively close targets. As target distances increase, or as our desire to print itsy little groups on paper increase, low powered optics start to show their limitations.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Now I've been motivated to pull the trigger on a new optic for my go to carbine. Been shopping for a few weeks now. Hoping the sting of buying it will wear off when it's in hand.

I struggle to determine what is my ultimate example of a carbine scope. I definitely prefer magnified zoom optics and I like some kind of reticle that's more complex than a red dot. Then things get wonky.

I currently own Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x, Vortex Viper PST 1-4x, and Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x as low-powered optics for carbines/uppers. All have their strengths, all have their weaknesses. All are very good for their intended use on relatively close targets. As target distances increase, or as our desire to print itsy little groups on paper increase, low powered optics start to show their limitations.

I've struggled with this decision but have the same outlook on carbine optics. Also an owner of a Mk4 1.5-5 but was looking to improve on that. I have a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x 24 on the way with the optional turrets. Sure hope it fills the bill.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x 24 on the way with the optional turrets. Sure hope it fills the bill.

Keep us updated on what you think of the turret options. I'm looking hard at the 2.3-18x56 version for a hunter build.

As for the 40X availability they do pop up and I've been involved with a couple that went in the 850.00 range recently. I've met quite a few people now that have multiples( up to 10) of these things and some are willing to let a few go. Unfortunately I had more than that in mine when I found it but was in good shape but still shot like poo. I'd do like offgrid said when looking and just go ahead and figure it needs a barrel. A few are lucky and the factory barrel does well but in most cases even if it does it's not the contour desired. I honestly wouldn't be scared of either the 700 or the 722 based versions. The repeater mod is the same and the modifications needed to use 700 triggers are easily overcome. I've been pretty much split between 700 and 722 versions I've done. There are some oddball things to look out for though on any of them because some were put together with a crazy mix and match method before sold but for the most part things go smoothly. Here's a 722 based that had the repeater mod, scope base holes opened, modifications for a 700 style Tubb trigger, and a Krieger barrel hung. They do have the potential to shoot amazing as offgrid showed and mine on the previous page is now by far my most shot gun.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good shooting with offgrid and Alpine today in rifle match at the town of Rifle. Offgrid was the big dog.

Offgrid -- I left my phone on your dash, like a total sheep dip. I stopped over in Bergan Park, trying to get a hold of you.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Offgrid -- thanks again for making the return trip to our carpool location. It saved me a two-hour commute tomorrow.

I liked both Alpine's and offgrid's 40X 22lr trainers. I feel the other guys at the match were a bit amused that we would shoot 22's at 220 to 330 yard steel. I have some things to think about with a 40X rig of my own. Decisions, decisions.

Although offgrid receives kudos for my phone mental lapse, he gets the #*&@! award for what I recall was the "knoll" target. It was an 8-inch-ish circle at 575 yards. Offgrid shot first, hit its left edge, spun it hard, turned the target sideways, and the gong became lodged behind a nearby piece of plywood. Our full moon became skinny crescent moon. Two misses for me. Then I tried to hit it with enough force to swing it back square for the rest of our squad. Clipped the crescent moon twice, spun it slightly, but likely made the target even harder to hit.

Totally a fun match.

posted Hide Post
As always, good shooting with fritz and Alpine. Fun match, like the fact it challenges us with all the high angle shots, bi-pods fully extended, getting our cheek positions right, very easy to impact high...... Even though the wind was light, its was tricky, constantly switching. Mirage dribbling L-R, stop, dribble R-L... Had to stay on top of that. Hitting the left edge of the Knoll target, getting it stuck up against the other strap, all part of my master plan! Have fun with that fellow shooters!

Shooting the 40X's after the match, also a ton of fun. 230yds+, my suppressed 40X, click......................................................................ding Big Grin

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Good times. Yeah, that target turned sideways sucked, should penalize offgrid 20-points if he did'nt shoot at it again and make it right again. I got lucky and hit it on my second shot, but it didn't move.
I couldn't believe how well my 40X 22LR held vertical at 330-yards with the cheap Wolf Target Match ammo.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:

I couldn't believe how well my 40X 22LR held vertical at 330-yards with the cheap Wolf Target Match ammo.

According the new G&A the Wolf Match is the best ammo they tested out of a Anschutz 1913, .19 average group at 25 yards. It beat just about every brand you can think of even Eley Tenex. I was surprised by this but happy because the Wolf is cheap. I have lots of Eley and Lapaua ammo from when I was shooting my Suhl 150, almost a shame to shoot it in a 10/22 though.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to get started in long-range precision rifle shooting, but have some extremely basic novice questions (mostly equipment related at this point). Would it be appropriate to ask those in this thread or should I start another thread?

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
I would like to get started in long-range precision rifle shooting, but have some extremely basic novice questions (mostly equipment related at this point). Would it be appropriate to ask those in this thread or should I start another thread?

Ask away!

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:

Ask here, all the folks here are willing to help out a novice shooter.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks guys.

First of all, I have zero experience shooting rifles long range. Nearly all my shooting experience has been with pistols in indoor ranges. I have access to a Les Baer .308 20 inch semi-auto - perhaps not the most appropriate long-range firearm, but that is what I have to work with.

First order of business is finding an appropriate scope. I have far too many questions to go over each one individually here, so I am hoping someone can point me to some sort of guide where I can learn all the appropriate considerations (as well as the terminology) for buying a suitable scope. I do not intend to do any hunting at this point, I just want to do target shooting, starting at about 100 yards and working my way higher from there.

I sunk about $3500 into this rifle, and about the only thing I have been told so far is not to cheap out on the scope. I figure I would save over this winter, while I try to learn what I need to, acquire something in Spring then hit the range.

I tried finding an appropriate book on Amazon, but there is nothing I could find that would teach me what I need to know to make an educated decision on the appropriate scope.

Can someone point me to books, videos, DVDs, or anything I can study over the winter to acquire a decent scope, and then shooting fundamentals so I can hit the range with a good plan to get started? Thanks in advance...

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
The first question to answer is what type of target shooting? Paper, or steel? A single target, at a fixed distance, or multiple targets at multiple distances? Just trying to hit the target (steel), or trying to shoot tiny groups(paper)?

The type of shooting has a big impact in the type of scope you'll want.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
The first question to answer is what type of target shooting? Paper, or steel? A single target, at a fixed distance, or multiple targets at multiple distances? Just trying to hit the target (steel), or trying to shoot tiny groups(paper)?

The type of shooting has a big impact in the type of scope you'll want.

Wow...Didn't realize the type of target shooting would matter that much. Quite frankly, to start out, I am thinking of single fixed targets, starting out at 100 yards, then going out further as I get proficient...I'd like to get to a point where I can get very tight groups at further and further distances on fixed paper targets. That is what I want to work on first. Eventually I might like to try hitting steel targets, but that is really secondary, and if that requires a different type of scope, I'd rather focus on the fixed paper targets first.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Small groups on paper generally means lots of magnification, and *generally* a second focal plane scope (since they are less expensive, have finer reticles, and the benefits of ffp aren't required).

Vortex makes a 15-60 I think, Nightforce makes like a 15-55. Pretty much any of the big names should have something that would work for you. I'd expect to spend somewhere around $2k maybe.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post