SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

The Mrs got first round hits at 1420 and 1855 with her 6 dasher in a 10-12 gusty wind. She was ecstatic. She actually went 5/8 on that 1420 plate!

First round hits at 1420 and 1855, awesome! DASHER!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Went out today to test some of the new dtacs in the AIAT 6 Creedmoor. I tested several weights but guessed a little too low on charge for initial testing. All shot very well and show great promise but I think I can get another 50-100 fps easily before reaching pressure. Highest load tested today averaged 3005fps. Will load up more soon to see what velocity I get and if they shoot as well as these did. Most people are saying the .620bc is tracking. Once I settle on a load I'll take the best couple out to distance and see what they do for me.

Also took out the 22 repeater and played around with the flapper target at 100. These things sure are fun. I'm going to set out the barricade to practice some positional shooting next time. Just practiced some strong side/weak side today. After putting a Tubb trigger in one of these recently, I'll have one in this one soon. It is a great trigger and will be able to be set up very close to mimic the AI.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Took 3rd Saturday out of... 18? 19? Shooters in Iowa. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places were all within .5 points of one another (48.5, 48, and 47.5).

Jim See won it by 10 points over the field.

There were a couple pretty challenging stages, some props I'd never seen or used before. I dropped a couple stupid points on some relatively easy stages due to blown wind calls (missed the first target, cleaned the rest type of thing). Overall, I suppose I'm fairly happy with that. 5th place was many points back, so while I'm not shooting at Jim See level (he finished 6th in the nation last season), I'm at least very competitive with the best of the regional guys it would seem.

Also, for those that were asking about it - autotrickler review: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8680050414

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting exx!

I got to test the dtacs again at higher charge weights today. Very interesting that pressure signs were reached with a lower charge weight on the 105 hybrids vs the 115 dtacs in this gun with both jumping .015. 42.6 is a slight stiffer bolt lift with the hybrids. I've settled on two loads of dtacs, 42.4 @ 3075 and 42.6 @ 3100 of h4350, and my proven out 105 hybrid load of 42.4 @ 3130 to take and test at distance against each other. I'll put them on paper at 1000 and see how they do. That will be some nice ballistics on the dtacs at 3100 if they can touch the precision of the hybrids.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
My back is killing me. Practiced positional shooting this weekend with the 40X Repeater.

Shooting off my back deck at steel. I have steel plates at 30, 55, 60, and 63-yards. The two closer targets I paint 1" dots, and the two further targets I paint 2" dots on them. The two further targets also have 3/8" holes around the edges, which is good practice trying to get the bullet through the hole shooting prone or off a tripod.

My positional shooting frankly sucks without the aid of a tripod. Kneeling and standing, I cannot even hit the 2" dots, and sitting took a lot of practice to even hit the edge of the 2" dot. At the end of Sunday, I was able to consistently hit the 2" dot sitting with the aid of a rear bag under my knee, but to be stable, I had to stretch my old body uncomfortably forward, causing me to feel stiff and sore after the practice, and my back still hurts this morning.

Note to self, stretching exercises will improve your positional shooting.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ordered a Reasor Gamechanger bag.

I've been borrowing them from friends for the last 3 matches I've shot.

Probably the most excellent barricade bag I've seen yet. I suck at barricades, those of you that have shot with me know this. However, using one of these things I went 8/9 on a tank barricade requiring 3 different positions in 2:00.

They are heavy, but I'm going to remove some other stuff to make up for it; they are that good.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Nice shooting exx!

I got to test the dtacs again at higher charge weights today. Very interesting that pressure signs were reached with a lower charge weight on the 105 hybrids vs the 115 dtacs in this gun with both jumping .015. 42.6 is a slight stiffer bolt lift with the hybrids. I've settled on two loads of dtacs, 42.4 @ 3075 and 42.6 @ 3100 of h4350, and my proven out 105 hybrid load of 42.4 @ 3130 to take and test at distance against each other. I'll put them on paper at 1000 and see how they do. That will be some nice ballistics on the dtacs at 3100 if they can touch the precision of the hybrids.

3075-3100 with a BC of .620, you might have something there! Look forward to seeing how they shoot for you at 1000yds.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Practiced positional shooting this weekend with the 40X Repeater.

Nice. I have concentrated on my 22lr for the past month or so. A contributing factor was determining which types of ammo are the most accurate at distances from 50 to 150 yards. I wanted options, in case the election results caused another multi-year shortage in 22lr match ammo. I am very close to determining the final choices -- maybe 12-15 types are out of consideration, maybe 8 are in the wider pool of options. I expect to ultimately have 3 types -- a cheap plinker-ish one when accuracy isn't primary, a general do-all that lands consistently at various distances, and the uber-accurate stuff when I need the extra edge in a match. It will take a little time to get there though, as I have more than a few bricks of ammo in the basement.

Yep, positional shooting without a tripod isn't easy. My 22 rifle has only the sling swivel stud up front, so I use a Harris bipod. Digging around in the basement, I found a TAB sling which attaches to a swivel stud. I will practice slung positions going forward.

JC Steel had most of their targets on sale last week. I picked up both small and larger sizes. I'm now trying to find a dedicated 22lr location on our land -- somewhere a little more sheltered from the wind by the trees. I'm considering using low tree branches as positional training.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the Lapua Creedmoor brass becoming reality. First batch estimated Q1 2017.

http://newsletter.lapua.club/a...0767f6f66be5/1468273

The hornady 6 creedmoor brass is ok, works,and nice to not have to neck down but really needs the pockets uniformed. I have some with 6 or 7 firings with pockets still good, but will be great to have a Lapua option. And with small primer!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Glad to see the Lapua Creedmoor brass becoming reality. First batch estimated Q1 2017.

Interesting. For those new to 6.5 chamberings, I often see the recommendation of 6.5x47 for those who reload, 6.5 Creed for those who don't reload.

Once Lapua brass is available for the Creedmoor, will chambering recommendations change?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Interesting. For those new to 6.5 chamberings, I often see the recommendation of 6.5x47 for those who reload, 6.5 Creed for those who don't reload.

Once Lapua brass is available for the Creedmoor, will chambering recommendations change?

Hard to say. No doubt the Lapua brass will be better than the Hornady. Grafs is allowing preorder at I think 120.00 per 100. For 6 creedmoor that puts them nearly twice the price of factory 6 creedmoor brass that doesn't need the additional work of neckkng down. Where the Lapua should shine is in its uniformity and having the extra meat from the small primer to be able to push it hard and not blow the pockets out. The price paid for that is certainly something though and I'm sure some people will have their reasons for sticking with Hornady. There are still some people who think small primers are not a good idea and won't perform in colder temps for some cartridges. Many factors in that but some still put it in a blanket statement. There also becomes the need to have a small pin bolt either by purchasing new or getting one bushed. May or may not be needed but if running the pressures up I'd highly recommend it. I guess I'm saying that with price, possible bolt modifications, and the fact the Hornady can perform ok I think there'll still be a market for the Hornady.

As for recommending this over 6.5x47 I think time will tell. 6.5x47 is s great cartridge with an uncanny ability to produce small ES spreads. The Creedmoor has greater velocity potential. If using this brass allows an accuracy node to be hit that widens that velocity difference gap they may be on to something. I'll certainly be trying some out and following along with others that are too. Always nice to have options.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I will definitely think long and hard about switching when these 2 barrels get shot out.

posted Hide Post
I planned to shoot in a 22lr match today with offgrid, but the 30+ mph winds at the match location didn't give us the warm fuzzies, so we ixnayed attending the match. I got up early and headed out to the ranch, in hopes that I could beat the arrival of the wind storm for a few hours.

My old Leupold VX-3 on the 22lr only gave me 19.75 MOA of elevation from a 50 yard zero, which meant I bottomed out the erector with 190 yard targets. With a simple duplex reticle (3 MOA thin lines, then solid bold lines), I held over for everything beyond 200-ish yards at my altitude. Going against tradition, I placed a thin plastic strip from an office products folder cover between the rear ring and the bottom of the scope tube. Going back to my trigonometry days, I figured the .018" plastic strip would get me 15-18 MOA of elevation. It gave me 16 MOA, so my max elevation is now 35.75 MOA, and I'm shooting closer to the center of the optics for moderate distances.

Before anybody gets excited, yes I realize my scope tube is now .018" out of alignment with my rings. I'll live with that for a relatively cheap scope. Maybe one of these days I will invest in 40X trainer (jelrod1 keep that phone line open), but I will stay with the Kimber sporter rifle for now.

Anyway, I now have scope elevation to get to 250 yards at 7500' DA with Geco Match ammo. Woo-hoo.

Winds today weren't fun in the trees, where I re-sighted in at 50 yards, and confirmed dope for 100 and 150 yards. Lots of wind swirl, with WTF flyers high & low on both paper and steel. Off to the open prairie to test 250 yards, where I expected wind effects to suck.

Side winds weren't fun in the open, but at least they were more consistent and elevation remained fairly constant. For my 10" gong at 250 yards, I held the supporting T-post 20 inches to the right of the gong, then just let 'em land wherever on the steel. With Geco Match for 10 rounds I printed 2.5" vertical and 7" of horizontal dispersion. I'll take that.

RWS R-100 shot well at 250, with only 30 MOA of elevation required. 3.0" vertical and 5" of horizontal for 10 rounds, but with only 1.6" of vertical for 9 rounds. One round landed 1.4" above the rest -- don't know if that was wind, a bad round, or my sheep-dip Rear Bag Syndrome.

Lapua Center X performed OK with 3" vertical dispersion for 10 rounds, but with rounds all over than 3". Remington's co-branded Eley EPS Match did well with 2.1" vertical and 5" horizontal (10 rounds), needing 34.25 MOA of elevation. For some reason the true Eley EPS ammo jams like clockwork in my magazines, but the Remy/Eley stuff feeds pretty well. Not as well as round nose RWS/Lapua/Wolf ammo, but pretty consistently.

What's wild with 250 yard targets and 22lr is the .8 second flight time. That's comparable to 670 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
You know Fritz, you really want (need) a March 5-40X56 for that 22LR trainer.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Shot the inaugural Eastern Nebraska club match just outside of Omaha on Saturday.

Made some errors I shouldn't have made, gave up a few points where I shouldn't have. Didn't think I did that well at all, wasn't pleased with my performance.

Ended up taking 10th out of 47 shooters. Jerry Karloff won it - handily.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
We've all been there, making bad mistakes. Congrats for 10th place at least.

Where in the Omaha area? Distances? Monthly match?

I lived South of Omaha for six years, and shooting a good match would give me an excuse to go back.

George Carlin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Half hour south, near Union. It was on private land.

Not sure the frequency, this was their first one. I'll let you know when I hear about another one. Chaz Macrander was the MD.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Pretty darn cool scope. Definitely a leap upwards from my VX-3.

Alas, new glass for the 22lr must wait for now. Just sprung for a cyber Monday sale on a NF ATACR F1 5-25x for my 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor's existing NF 3-15X glass will go to a precision AR. The precision AR's 2-10x glass will go to a carbine, either replacing or augmenting its 1-5x glass. My holiday season buying just came to a halt. But a nice halt.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Pretty darn cool scope. Definitely a leap upwards from my VX-3.

Alas, new glass for the 22lr must wait for now. Just sprung for a cyber Monday sale on a NF ATACR F1 5-25x for my 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor's existing NF 3-15X glass will go to a precision AR. The precision AR's 2-10x glass will go to a carbine, either replacing or augmenting its 1-5x glass. My holiday season buying just came to a halt. But a nice halt.

I like playing scope roulette. Getting ready to do it myself yet this year. Some of the March offerings had my attention. However their lack of dealers is a bit of a turn off for me.

Been watching your .22LR journey. I've been debating something similar for a number of years. Keep up the great research.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Scope roulette" -- I will use that term in the future. I thought more along the lines of "scope hand me down", from being the youngest kid in the family. This rippling scope upgrade has been in the works for quite a while, and is not yet complete.

I shot a lot of 22 rifle and pistol some 7-8 years ago -- when I had just been laid off, finances were tight, I had a bunch of mid-grade 22lr ammo, and the first Obama ammo shortage occurred. As I transitioned to sporting clays competition, the 22s saw no action for a long time.

Discussions with our local top steel match shooters (offgrid, Alpine, and others) have enlightened me on how much trigger time the better shooters get with 22lr and/or air rifles. I have taken notice.