SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I've heard about timing a trigger. How does one go about such a thing?

Video going over trigger/action timing. His extraction timing video is worth a watch to understand how that all works.

Both my Bighorns have been timed, can run the bolt with my pinky... I believe it's well worth doing. A good friend has a new Borden action that has also been timed, almost as smooth as my high mileage Bighorns. Bordens are nice actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVposuHNg0M

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Who timed your Bighorns?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AJ/Bighorn did one, Beanland the other.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
AJ/Bighorn did one, Beanland the other.

Interesting. When I asked Beanland about timing my Defiance, he told me it was unnecessary.

Perhaps Defiance are set up correctly from the factory?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does your action cock similar to the actions in the video? Not cocking on close?

Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I'm shipping jelrod a new Surgeon action today for a new rifle. He already received the barrel.

Both the action and barrel were about a two week leadtime. The trigger is in stock. Leadtime for the stock, 6 months, huh?!?!?!?!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
I'm shipping jelrod a new Surgeon action today for a new rifle. He already received the barrel.

Both the action and barrel were about a two week leadtime. The trigger is in stock. Leadtime for the stock, 6 months, huh?!?!?!?!

What stock?

Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:

What stock?

Manners MCS-T4A, RH, Medium Palma barrel. Would prefer midnight camo.

Will probably look for a used one for the interim.

Any other ideas?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Offgrid, I had seen that one, jelrod recommended a mini chassis stock

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I've got a black J Allen short action RH that'll accept up to an MTU that's looking for a good home...

Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Exx,

I assume my Surgeon 591 will fit in it. What kind of DBM does it take?

Send me pics and price please.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
sent

Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Exx,

Thanks for sending info, looks like a nice piece of gear. I'm keeping my eyes open for now. jelrod just got the action today, so I have some time.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Anybody going to gap grind?

posted Hide Post
Following weeks of unpleasant winds at our ranch, I finally picked a day with sort-of reasonable wind to shoot at long distance. Early morning sun means my steel is back lit and not all that visible, but so be it. It was dead calm when I walked out to set up, but breezes were 2-4mph from my 9 o'clock by the time I was on the line.

Following offgrid's and Alpine's lead, cold bore at 1,000 yards with the 308. I missed, both in windage and elevation. But I recovered with 7 hits out of 10 on a 24" square. I maintain about 10" of vertical for impacts on steel -- not my best, but OK I guess.

On to the 20" round at 1,050 yards. Breezes increased to 3-7mph while I'm loading another mag, varying like crazy. Grrrrr -- only 2 hits out of 10. Missing on both sides of the target, as I just can't seem to figure out wind speed.

On to 22lr in the trees, trying to get out of the wind. Earlier in the year, offgrid stated his possible concerns of shooting a low-recoiling rifle (i.e. 6 Dasher), getting a bit lazy with technique, should he have to shoot a higher-recoiling rifle. I have that same concern, as a few weeks ago I didn't shoot my 22lr on paper as well as I expected. This weekend I made a concerted effort to drive the lowly .22 as if it were a high-recoiling 308.

What a difference technique makes. At 50 yards, 5-shot groups, prone w/bipod, light breezes, multiple types of ammo -- 3 groups in the .2's and 11 groups in the .3's. Virtually every bad string was the result of losing focus for a shot or two. I find it all too easy to get technique-lazy with a 22.

Regardless of the ammo, regardless of the gun, we must properly drive the rifle for best results. When I was "on", the crosshairs just didn't move and I saw bullets tear holes in paper.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fritz,

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Did some shooting with the new (used) 6.5x47L today. Beautiful day for it, had to scrape patches of wet snow off our shooting platform, but with the sun and blue sky, 50 deg felt like 70 deg.

Shooting with a friend who was shooting his custom McMillan 308. He has some experience shooting, even attended the McMillan long range shooting school in New Mexico. He is eager to learn more, but I got burned by his wind call today. When I said burned, I took his bad advice on what the wind was doing at the 630-yard target. Instead of using my observation, knowledge and experience, I was mentally lazy and took his word. Missed the target, and thought to myself, you know offgrid and I had this conversation many times on how we should ignore wind calls from new shooters. Calling wind is never simple, you can get close by the experience from shooting at familiar places, and seeing the same signs of what the trees, bushes, grass, etc. are doing. However, a new place, first time shooting there, makes it difficult. Go to a place that is featureless, has little or no vegetation, and the only sign of what the wind is doing is by the mirage, and if you're lucky, the dust from your misses. Shoot on a bright sunny day with snow on the ground and mirage is the only helpful friend you have.
One thing I've learned, and passed on to my friend. Don't get tunnel vision. Observe what is going on around your target. Look at the tree's half way between your position and the target, look beyond the target, etc. just focusing on that blade of grass under the target is not always going to tell you what the wind is really doing.

Going back out to the same place again tomorrow.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Don't get tunnel vision. Observe what is going on around your target. Look at the tree's half way between your position and the target, look beyond the target, etc. just focusing on that blade of grass under the target is not always going to tell you what the wind is really doing.

+1
I've been trying to shoot 10 to 20 rounds through my .308 at 1,000 yards relatively early in the mornings before the wind kicks up. The target is a 24" square plate mounted on a T-post that rings well, but doesn't give much visual feedback on impact location. Especially early in the morning with the sun behind the target. JBM shows I have a 3.5 mph window to correctly estimate wind speed and direction for impacts. The target is located two ridges away on open prairie, with two valleys over 100 deep before each ridge.

This weekend the breezes were a bit wonky, coming from the east (headwind), definitely fish tailing on short notice. At the target the breezes varied from head wind to generally right-to-left. No idea on the breezes in the second valley, as it's out of view. Breezes at the middle ridge varied from head wind to left-to-right. Breezes at my location were generally head winds, but fish tailed from both the left and the right. So with with most shots I had a combination of head wind, left-to-right, and right-to-left -- depending on the portion of the bullet's flight.

I shot 20 rounds, impacted with 14. Not a pretty group, either -- basically all over the middle and lower portion of the plate. I sailed one round high (rear bag syndrome), and dropped 5 rounds to the right and left sides of the target. Even in my own range, I still struggle to correctly read wind clues.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
(rear bag syndrome)

Can you explain what you mean by that?

I was checking the zero of a rifle today and although four of the five shots went into about 0.4 MOA, the first one* was evidently trying to head to the next county. I’m certain it was shooter error, so I’m curious what “rear bag syndrome” refers to.

* (It was a cold, clean bore shot, but usually that makes no difference at all, and especially not as far out as that one was.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rear Bag Syndrome -- It's a term we coined in a Wyoming steel match this year. Usually starting with "effed-up". Refers to one of my primary technique weaknesses, of slightly relaxing my left (bag squeeze) hand as I break the shot. Thus the rear bag settles a bit, the rifle buttstock settles a bit, and I throw the round high.