SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I can’t imagine it hasn’t been spelled out at some point in this thread, what does “PRS” refer to? (For the ignorant among the readership.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PRS = Precision Rifle Series.

Pretty darn challenging and uber fun steel matches. So far I've only competed in one -- the Battle of Breakneck in Nebraska. Got my backside kicked. Temps in the 30's, rain, snow, sleet, winds of 10-35 mph. Just another day at the range....

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you, fritz.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Sending off a check today for a 40XB. Working on and shooting these things has just been too much temptation. Hopefully I'll run it through with next month's batch of conversions and be shooting soon.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
We had a 6mm squad at Raton this this weekend, three of us shooting Dashers, and the other three shooting BR's. The three of us with Dashers; Offgrid, Scotty, and I all shot a score of 54. A personal best for me at Raton. Antony shot a 56 with his BR, and the winner who was shooting a 260AI scored a 58.

Wind was not as bad as it usually is, never the less, still tricky at times.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpine congrats on your personal best score, fun match as always, good shooting with you. Even though I never held over 7mph, wind was still tricky, shifted 180 degrees at least four times through out the match. The always switching wind, shooting across draws, up "fingers"... what makes Raton so much fun and challenging. Also a little luck is invloved. The last stage/last shooter of the match a front came in and the wind picked up/very gusty. Alpine and I cleaned it, he hit 3/6.

Drove down with Alpine the night before. Messed around with his Tempest 3 lug action Saturday night, cycled it a bunch. I can see with some time I could get faster with the 60 degree bolt throw. Not really fair to compare the smoothness of my Bighorn with 15K+ rds on it to the Tempest with 400rds... Also the Tempest bolt body to action body is a little tighter tolerance then the Bighorn.... The Bighorn action with it's floating bolt head can get away with a little more bolt/body slop. Read a lot about 3 lug actions have a stiffer bolt lift/cock, didn't find that to be the case. Not fair to compare it to my Bighorn as I have my triggers timed, can open/close the bolt with my pinky. If the Tempest trigger was timed, guessing would be as easy as mine. Alpine's Dasher barrel is definitely on the fast side, similar charge weight he's 70-100fps faster then the my Dashers as well as two others.

Saturday on the practice range had a few fail to ejects. I changed out my ejector spring at about 7K rds. Through out the match on Sunday had about 15 or so failures as well, kind through me out of my rhythm of things. Made two mental mistakes after clearing two of them, forgot to dial dope and shot at the wrong target, mad at myself for doing that, giving away easy points...shot at both those targets afterwards, easy hits. Missed 4 wind calls on my other misses. Lesson learned, I'll change out that spring every 5K or so. Changed it out this AM, ejects perfectly.

Three rifles chambered by jelrod1. My Dasher, Alpine's Dasher with the camo condom on his scope and a good friends 6BR. The 6BR is on a trued R700/firing pin bushed to a small diameter. The Eliseo chassis is not my cup of tea, works well for him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I've heard about timing a trigger. How does one go about such a thing?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
exx1976,

do a search on Accurate Shooter for trigger/bolt timing.

I know the gunsmith who chambered your barrels will do it for you. Wouldn't feel the need to rush to do it, maybe send out your actions/triggers at the end of the season. Your actions will definitely cycle/run smoother.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Shooting at our range in the woods today, shooting out to 705-yards off of a tripod is easy.

However, wind is just as tricky here as in Raton as we're shoot on a ridge at about 8500-ft elevation, and down over a meadow.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpine sent this picture to me. His "secret" long range spot on National Forest land.

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting at Raton, guys. And a personal best score for Alpine -- woohoo!

Wish I could have made it to the match. Ranch duties called -- weeding, tree cutting, log splitting, and fence & maintenance negotiations with our #@&$ cousins. I had very little time for shooting, and the daily storms didn't help.

Here's the 4x4 post with the 2x12 sleeve to change the barricade from a sitting to kneeling position. It works pretty well. So far the cattle have avoided rubbing again the 4x4.

I set up a new target -- 20" round, 1/4" thick AR-500 from JC Steel, with his new slot-mounted system. This is a new location for me -- below our dam, in a water erosion control berm. I'm definitely not used to the winds here, terrain must funnel wind to this longer target. A 600 yard plate in line with this gong needed 8-10mph holds with a 3 o'clock wind, but I needed 12-15mph holds for the new gong. I will shorten the t-post so I can better see misses in the berm behind. Otherwise some shots sail over the berm and impact 70-80 yards behind.

At 906 yards, I landed only 3 of 5 Hornady 6.5 ELD rounds on the target -- the top three impacts. The low center hit is Hornady 140 AMax, only one of five rounds hit. IMO the new ELD bullets are a noticeable improvement from than the old AMax.

This is my first piece of 1/4" thick steel, as my other steel is 3/8" thick. The thinner steel rings louder and at a higher pitch. At my shooting position the sound of ringing steel seemed louder to me than the report from my suppressed rifle.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting at Raton guys. Congrats on your personal best Alpine! Cool to see a picture of those three rifles together.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Alpine on the personal best ! A big thumbs up to all the recent pics. They've worked to keep me motivated. I think I spy a NEAR mount in there. I've used their bases, wonderful stuff. A bit psyched myself as it looks like I'm getting the big boy back from the smith tomorrow.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley has 105 & 140 hybrids on sale. $10 off 500ct boxes. Good until they sell out, or the end of the month, whichever comes first.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Shot today in our spot in the woods, started off shooting the Dasher fire-forming brass. Then shot my 308 off a tripod at 1050-yards, got two out of ten at that distance because of the changing wind... Miss left, miss right, miss right some more, etc. A storm blew through as we where shooting the 705-yard plate, and the wind was blowing 12 to 15-mph. Had to hold a little over a Mil, but got nine out of ten on that plate with fire-form loads. Then the storm passed, and it almost became a dead calm, and shooting the same 705-yard plate with my 308 was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Great day in the great outdoors!

George Carlin

posted Hide Post
Just pulled one of my Dasher barrels at 2200rds. Last match I shot with it had some flyers. Confirmed at 100yds a few days after the match. Was hoping for a little more barrel life. Maybe because I was using faster H4895 compared to slightly slower Varget? Dasher shooters on AccurateShooter report shorter barrel life with 4895. Still happy with the accuracy for 2200rds w/o changing/chasing the load.

jelrod1 chambered me up another barrel last month. Kreiger Medium Palma another 26". Cool thing is he's already chambered a barrel on that action, no need to send him the action again. Dropped shipped the barrel from Bruno's....get a chambered barrel in the mail. Big Grin

Started working up a load this AM. Had some 31.6/4895/Hybrids already loaded. Loaded 34.6, 34.8, 33, 33.2/Varget/Hybrids. Zero'd the scope, shot a couple of each to check for pressure... 31.6/4895 shoots the same as my other two barrels, will go back with 33, 33.2, 33.4 at 100yds. Then take the winner(s) of those and the 4895 load, chrono them, put them on paper at 1050yds soon.

These Dashers blow me away, ridiculously accurate.

Make shift sun block/shade...

posted Hide Post
I assumed more than 2200 rounds for a Dasher barrel. The good news is the new barrel seems to be as good as your last one.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I assumed more than 2200 rounds for a Dasher barrel. The good news is the new barrel seems to be as good as your last one.

I assumed far less, and am really happy to hear this. SWMBO's load is 33.0 varget with a 107. Glad to hear the life will be longer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Barrel life is tricky subject. What's your accuracy demand? How was the barrel shot?

After I had a few fliers at the last match I shot with that barrel, shot two 10rd groups at 100yds. Had a couple 2-3 shots go just beyond 3/4". Could a 3/4-1 MOA barrel still shoot a 50/60 at Raton? Certainly wouldn't be a match winning barrel.

I got that barrel very hot a few times. Shot kind of a "Mad Minute" stage at a match, 22rds in 60 seconds... Guessing if I only shot Raton, 6rds in 2-3 minutes every half hour or so, longer barrel life.

FYI, I pulled my 6.5x47 barrels at 2500 and 2800rds. I've read about others getting into the 3-4000rd range. What's their accuracy demand? How were those barrels shot?

No doubt NikonUser is pulling his 308 F-Class barrels long before most would on this board.

posted Hide Post
For some reason I thought the case capacity of the 6 Dasher was way less than 6x47, therefore I figured your Dasher barrel life would be up there with your 6.5x47.

So you think I might get a few more rounds out of my 308 tactical barrel than Nikon will from his competition barrel... Wink