SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Yes, had it out the other day. A quick OCW run has me concentrating on 54.4 and 55.6. Could have just been winter rust but I wasn't fond of the release on the CG trigger. I have a call in to Huber looking to remedy that.

Have the next set of rounds ready to go for my next set off. They feed out of the win mag magazines but barely. With the round against the feedlips it can be pushed out the back of the mag. I'm sure tweaking the feedlips would take care of that. I don't want to mix tweaked mags with my standards. I have a couple Alpha's on the way to try out. If that doesn't work maybe I'll paint the floor plates of the AI's.

All that aside the rifle shoots wonderfully. Glad I went with that APA brake.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Yes, had it out the other day. A quick OCW run has me concentrating on 54.4 and 55.6. Could have just been winter rust but I wasn't fond of the release on the CG trigger. I have a call in to Huber looking to remedy that.

Have the next set of rounds ready to go for my next set off. They feed out of the win mag magazines but barely. With the round against the feedlips it can be pushed out the back of the mag. I'm sure tweaking the feedlips would take care of that. I don't want to mix tweaked mags with my standards. I have a couple Alpha's on the way to try out. If that doesn't work maybe I'll paint the floor plates of the AI's.

All that aside the rifle shoots wonderfully. Glad I went with that APA brake.

I have a spare 2.5#, top safety, no bolt release..

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone here using a leupold firedot scope?
Any issues with the red dot not working after repeated
Use??

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend was in MileHighShooting this week and they gave him a bunch of these to try. There's very little load data on these bullets, he's to give MH feedback/data. He's going to try them in a 6BR that jelrod1 just chambered for him.

The published BC is impressive G1 .626 G7 .298. Running the numbers for my Dasher. 3150 should be a reasonable/easy velocity. 7700', 1000yds. 5.5 MILS elevation, 1.1 MILS 10 MPH wind drift and 825 lbs of energy is not too shabby. All that looks promising, big question though is how do they shoot?

http://www.milehighshooting.co...-bx-243-85-1-270-b3/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:

Could have just been winter rust but I wasn't fond of the release on the CG trigger.

Guessing the over travel? Some of my buddies who have shot my rifles with CG triggers don't care for the over travel. We all prefer a different feel for sure. For me the over travel helps in follow through.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

I have a spare 2.5#, top safety, no bolt release..

I appreciate the offer ! I spoke with Kris over at Huber and he's going to get me setup straight away. Will be back out next week with the new trigger for round two. After getting used to the Huber I just can't make my peace with the CG. Not sure if its the overtravel or just in the way it breaks.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I planned to attend the Raton rifle match this weekend, but a family medical emergency required I remain in the local area. However, I did get some brief time to practice.

I'm still trying to adapt to a larger rear bag of the Todd Tac Pad. It seems to help stabilize the gun, but it does feel different. I'm still slow getting into position -- futzing around with the bag too much. The wind fooled me yesterday. Maybe 7-12 mph from 9-10 o'clock at my shooting position, but evidently quite a bit less down range. It appears the terrain blocks a northeast breeze for my new target location.

12" plate at 636 yards. 2-1/4" vertical and 7-1/4" horizontal (oops). Five rounds of 308 Hornady TAP 168. At least my challenges with vertical seem to be moving in the right direction.

offgrid & Alpine -- did you shoot at Raton?

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
We shot Raton, and the wind was even more tricky then you could imagine, even though I don't think it ever got above 10-mph.

There were some high scores, I believe I heard at least four people shot 56. Scotty got 52, Offgrid a 51, and I had a poor showing of 37. Started of with my hand hurting real bad, causing me to jerk the trigger some, and then that followed with a lot of mental mistakes. Oh well, always next time.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
We shot Raton, and the wind was even more tricky then you could imagine, even though I don't think it ever got above 10-mph.

There were some high scores, I believe I heard at least four people shot 56. Scotty got 52, Offgrid a 51, and I had a poor showing of 37. Started of with my hand hurting real bad, causing me to jerk the trigger some, and then that followed with a lot of mental mistakes. Oh well, always next time.

Hey you jipped Scott and I out of one point each, we work hard for those points damn it chasing the wind!!

Tough wind day for sure, constantly shifting the last half of the match. Last stage of the day, 1st target of 6 held 5 mph right, 6 mph left on last to hit, fun stuff! Glad it was full sun all day. With out the mirage and no leaves on the trees yet, would have been very difficult to see the wind.

This is the 12th year for this match, no one has cleaned it yet 60/60, 58 is the high score, believe two 58's. There always wind shifts, wind swirls through the valley up the draws..... luck will be on the side of that first clean, some of the stages are easier/less effective by those shifts. The match director tapes the blank squad assignment sheets to the window of his truck, get in line to fill them out, lots of jockeying for a place in line... The more seasoned shooters know what stages are better to start on.... It was Alpine's job to get in line, sign us up. The stage we started on this match wasn't the worse... Alpine needs to work on his elbowing techniques! I have this dream I'll be in the right place at the right time to get that first clean, four matches left to do so this season!

posted Hide Post
It was a workday at the ranch today -- chainsaw duty. But I brought the 308 in case the predicted rains didn't come.

Late in the day, there was a short window of good weather. I didn't have time to set up steel, so from my highest firing position I looked for bare dirt in the distance. I lased three erosion gulches -- 1040, 1065, and 1298 yards -- substantially further than my maximum steel distance of 800 yards.

JBM was dead on with elevation for 1040 and 1065 yards for Hornady 168 TAP. My printed tables only go to 1200 yards, so I estimated 1300 yards elevation at 48 MOA -- which I just found JBM predicts. First shot was one MOA low and two MOA left (3/4 value wind from my right). Increased elevation to 49 MOA, but then promptly jerked shot #2 low by two MOA. Shots #3 through #6 all impacted within 1-ish MOA of the target rock, both vertical and horizontal. Best dialed elevation was likely 49.5 MOA.

I find interesting that the 168 AMax bullet performed so well at that distance, given its predicted velocity of only Mach 1.03 at the target. My furthest distance with a 308 prior to this was around 1200 yards.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpine, exx1976,

Have you seen the weather forecast for the Battle of Breakneck PRS match this weekend? Looks like Mongo be packin' full Goretex and mud boots.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm not very excited about it.

At least I won't have to worry about dehydration, right? Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Forget the iced Gatorade -- this looks like a thermos or two of hot coffee.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Hot cocoa. Caffeine won't do much good....

posted Hide Post
3-5" of rain, high low 40's, 20-35mph is the forecast now. If that forecast, storm track doesn't change in the next 24hrs, you guys just moved a notch on the leader board Big Grin won't see me there.

Also in the forecast is a classic spring up slope snow dump on Sat-Sun up here measured in feet...

posted Hide Post
offgrid -- you could always drive out to the commerce and culture center of the Universe -- Sidney -- and absorb the karma of western Nebraska.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
offgrid -- you could always drive out to the commerce and culture center of the Universe -- Sidney -- and absorb the karma of western Nebraska.

Hear the Cabelas fish tank is worth a look!

Suggest you guys squirt some water on a few rounds, fire them, see if you get pressure. Better to find that out now... Hard to keep your ammo dry in those conditions.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I already tested my ammo wet at LRSE last month.

posted Hide Post
Alpine, exx1976, fritz,

won't be seeing me in Nebraska. Forecast here and there is getting worse. Calling for 2-4 feet of heavy wet snow up here. We live on a county non-maintained road. I'll be plowing as it's coming down....shoveling off our decks.... From shooting 6MM's for the last couple years, I've turned into a delicate flower, I can't shoot in those conditions!

Shoot well!

posted Hide Post
offgrid -- more wisdom than anything for staying put. My sister and B-I-L are a little concerned about their forecast for Evergreen. I suspect we'll be shooting in a cold, wet, mud bog.

As for the "delicate flower", well, waa-aa-aaahhh. It's the progression to lower recoil chamberings.

Maybe the 6 Dasher is a Standard Poodle shooter.
Call the .223 Remy the Miniature Poodle shooter. You'll be there where your AR is done.
Call the .22lr the Toy Poodle shooter. Your trainer rifle.

If you start showing up at tactical matches with your .22l, a muzzle brake, and a recoil reducing pad -- we'll have your man card revoked.