SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I went to the family ranch today for possible range time, but the weather just wasn't the best for shooting. Variable winds -- 5-20mph, mainly SE, but switching from E to SW. Killed yucca instead. Oh yeah, and stuck the 4Runner in a snow drift for almost an hour. Good thing I carry a shovel.

For FN in MT -- one monster yucca "plant" had 83 whorls. Spray doesn't go very far in such cases.

Are they growing now? The spray works best during the growing season. Though soaking them with the oil/herbicide mix before can't hurt.

I had 100% eradication! If it got sprayed...It died. And they rot at the base so most are easy to rake or pull out.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Are they growing now? The spray works best during the growing season. Though soaking them with the oil/herbicide mix before can't hurt.

I had 100% eradication! If it got sprayed...It died. And they rot at the base so most are easy to rake or pull out.

With the exception of January, I have sprayed monthly since August. The yucca sprayed in August died the quickest. The biggest plants sprayed in December still have a touch of pale green in a few leaves, but the majority are completely yellow and dead. I mark everything I've sprayed with orange paint, and it appears I have 100% kill rate so far.

Winter spraying seems to work, it just takes a little longer. This is a multi-year project, therefore I need to take all opportunities.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Danged stuff IS expensive , but at least it WORKS. Good to hear it's going well for you.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today was mainly a work day at the family ranch, but I did put a few rounds down range. The winds were challenging -- from the north in the morning, easterly at noon, and from the south (my 3 o'clock) when I finally started shooting. 1/3 to 1-1/2 value, varying at a moment's notice. I set 9 pieces of steel from 370 to 630 yards, 8" through 12" rounds, squares, and diamonds. Hit each one with the first shot, plus hit #10 on a longer diamond. Woo-hoo! Never warmed up with a 10/10 before, especially with the 308.

Then I switched over to an AR-15 with FGMM 69. With bullet drift a good 50% more than 168 AMax, things didn't go as well.

On a positive note, both TBAC cans just don't seem to change POI at all. It's nice to wear only electronic muffs and clearly hear the thwack or twang of hits.

FN in MT -- last week's sprayed yucca are already losing some color. I sprayed a few hundred more yucca again today.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I had a little spray left so "treated" five close to the range as a Winter experiment.
The data with the spray specifically stated to treat during the growing cycle.
Which I took to mean WARM weather. Maybe they never truly stop?

It is nice to finally have about 95% of them cleaned up.

Been windy but reasonably warm here. Waiting for the new 6-6.5 x 47 to get done at the Cerakote shop.
And for the barrel on the new .223 AI to get threaded. Should have both by Friday. Let the load testing begin!

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your third today, offgrid!

Is the winner on here? I don't think so, but..

Ps - you tied with a girl. Hehehehehehe

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Hey, technically sole 3rd place by stage tie breaker!

Brutal wind, gusting 5-30mph. Lots of positional stuff, offhand.... Wind moving me, the barricades, targets swinging...fun stuff! Happy with how I shot except one stage, the dreaded KYL. Watched Scott who won the match clean it for 10pts, I had no choice to keep going... 4" target at 420yds, 20-30mph winds, got a big fat zero, oh well. Guy who finished 2nd also cleaned it. Been practicing offhand a bunch. Managed 7/10 on a unsupported stage, 45% IPSC/160yds, 3 standing, 3 kneeling, 2 sitting, 2 prone, missed 2 standing (incredibly difficult in a 25mph wind!), 1 sitting.

Last three matches I've shot have been in tough wind. Electronic sign above the interstate on the way to a match in Cheyenne 3 weeks ago, high wind warning for high profile vehicles/light trailers... yikes! Look forward to a easy 5-15mph match.

I admit I was concerned about the Dasher shooting in high winds against 6.5's/140's... no longer.

How's KY going?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I leave for KY Thursday.

I saw Scott won it, just wasn't sure if he was on here or not. I'd have loved to shoot that match, but I found out about it Friday. I've got lots of shooting buddies in Colorado now it seems. Lol

My new JAE should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to that.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
.284 back from the smith and all put together. Off to the range tomorrow to start load development.

Pic with her big sister in the back Smile

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been struggling with occasional WTF vertical variations since last year. Off and on I've suspected poor rear bag technique. From watching Alpine and offgrid, I am trying to transition from a small FTW bag to a larger Todd Tac Pad. I like the idea of the bigger bag's supporting both my shoulder and the buttstock. It is different, however. Some days it feels good, others not so much.

Today's trip to the family ranch didn't go quite as planned -- there was more snow on the ground than I expected. Not so good for either range management or shooting. But I did manage to sink a fence post for new target position. I shot only 11 rounds for the day -- 6 at 491 yards and the following 5 at the new target, at 636 yards. Vertical variation of 2.75", horizontal of 2.75" total of 3.5" (measured with the ruler on my leatherman tool) on this 12" square plate. Winds of 5-12 mph from my 3 o'clock. Factory Hornady 168 TAP .308 ammo. TBAC suppressor.

The larger bag puts me in a higher position, a more relaxed neck position, and requires longer bipod leg extentions. I will see how this works over time, but it may be moving me down a better path.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever have issues when running a suppressor with your first shot being out of the group, but the subsequent shots are where they should be?

I just started working with a 700 in .223 AI. 24 1/2" Krieger, 1 in 8" threaded by the can builders, Elite Iron. Running an EI Bravo can.
Today I was running loads over the chrono and would run down the basement and load another five and shoot those. So groups every 15 minutes or so.

My .30 can is the same Bravo model, also threaded by Elite and when used on the 6x47 or the 6.5 x 47 I get zero shift on either rifle.

When I mention SHIFT.... I mean my first shot is 1/2 to 1" + horizontal or vertical from the decent group the next 3 or 4 will make.

I am starting to think it's due to the can. I am NOT getting any sort of baffle strikes. They go to great pains to thread your barrel WITH the can and have some hi tech methods to check its concentric with/to the bore.

Even more baffling it's not EVERY string of rds. Maybe one in two or three groups. Then two or three in a row. NO rhyme or reason.

Any thoughts?

FN in MT

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Not bad shooting there Fritz, that puts it about 1/2-moa.

We shot over at Travis' place today. Started off shooting the Dasher fire-forming brass. Slinging 105-gr Hornady HPBT out at 2625-fps. Put ten rounds on a 5" triange at 500-yards which was boring. Then moved out to a 10" plate at 700-yards. Boy that rifle can shoot no matter the load.

Wind picked up to 5 - 6 mph, and got the GAP 308 out and threw some FGMM 7.62 175-gr pills at the 1100-yard target.

I tried looking around the internet, but no results posted yet for the Shoot for the Green. Wonder how the boys faired?

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone ever have issues when running a suppressor with your first shot being out of the group, but the subsequent shots are where they should be?

I don't have enough experience yet with my new Thuderbeast cans to provide a definite answer.

When I borrowed TBAC cans for both the 308 and 6.5 Creed in past training, I don't recall any shifts within strings of fire, other than my sheep-dip trigger pulling.

My first two times with my TBAC on 308 and 6.5 Creed I didn't see a difference. I recall that neither offgrid nor Alpine experienced differences. I haven't yet shot my 223 TBAC enough to develop a good feel, but it doesn't seem that it shows differences.

Now yesterday, my cold bore shot at 491 yards was about 2-ish inches higher than it should have been. I feel I yanked the cold bore -- I tend to shoot high when my rear bag technique sucks. The subsequent five rounds on this target were almost exactly at perfect elevation (but strung horizontally a good 9" due to less than stellar wind calls Red Face).

So I don't know. Can you confirm that your technique is spot on with the shots that go astray? It's odd that you're experiencing both horizontal and vertical variation. From what I've seen, good cans are pretty consistent with their POI effects.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

I don't have enough experience yet with my new Thuderbeast cans to provide a definite answer.

When I borrowed TBAC cans for both the 308 and 6.5 Creed in past training, I don't recall any shifts within strings of fire, other than my sheep-dip trigger pulling.

My first two times with my TBAC on 308 and 6.5 Creed I didn't see a difference. I recall that neither offgrid nor Alpine experienced differences. I haven't yet shot my 223 TBAC enough to develop a good feel, but it doesn't seem that it shows differences.

Now yesterday, my cold bore shot at 491 yards was about 2-ish inches higher than it should have been. I feel I yanked the cold bore -- I tend to shoot high when my rear bag technique sucks. The subsequent five rounds on this target were almost exactly at perfect elevation (but strung horizontally a good 9" due to less than stellar wind calls Red Face).

So I don't know. Can you confirm that your technique is spot on with the shots that go astray? It's odd that you're experiencing both horizontal and vertical variation. From what I've seen, good cans are pretty consistent with their POI effects.

When I use the thirty can on the two Lapua's I have zero shift issues.

This is the only gun where I have used the .22 can. My bench technique (or lack of) is the same for all of them....NO weird flyers on the Lapuas or my .308 win. I surely pull shots from time to time, but I have been extra careful with the .223 AI.

I have shot several 5 shot groups lately with the two Lapua's in the .2"-.3" with one at .123". So I can shoot if I'm careful.

I checked all screws for the 20 moa base, the scope rings, and ring mount to the rifle,cleaned the bore, etc.
Going to shoot some groups without the can to get some data there before I screw it back on again.

Snowing today, but supposed to be decent shooting weather Wednesday on.

FN in MT

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My suppressor is a Thunder Beast 30P-1 and I have experienced no flyers with any of the four rifles (223, 308×2, 300WM) I’ve used it on. I make it a point to shoot groups without any warm-up and to monitor the “cold bore” shots.

The only exception was when it got loose without my noticing, and then I started having huge impact shifts.

If the first shot is out of the group, what could be causing it? The only thing I can think of is that the recoil or other forces involved cause the suppressor to tighten on the barrel or otherwise affect the contact/fit. If I understand your description, the can is a direct thread to barrel mount—true? How tight do you screw it onto the barrel? Is it particularly difficult to unscrew after shooting? Do you use any sort of lube on the threads?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Direct thread on. I do lube the threads a bit with some grease on both guns. Neither can is tough to unscrew.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
All those things apply to me as well, so I don't have any ideas.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I have a 30P-1 and an Ultra 9, and I have no issues with either of them.

LRSE AAR is up on Precision Rifle Forums if anyone is looking to read it. Short version is, I suck.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
LRSE AAR is up on Precision Rifle Forums if anyone is looking to read it. Short version is, I suck.

I shot the Shoot for the Green PRS match this weekend in Oklahoma.

Random squads kind of, I was squaded with team GAP, George Gardner.... Didn't know anyone on my squad. Shot the prone stages well, read the wind well. Positional stages did OK on day one hitting 19/27. Most of those targets set up well for me, perfect kneeling height... Day two positional had a tough go hitting just 8/27, lots of points I gave up. Last two stages of the match, prone, I was the only person in our squad to clean, good to finish on that note. My Dasher shot great, hit lots of tiny targets, got 1st round hits on 1000yds+. Alpine, I don't need a big gun to hit at long range in the wind Big Grin

Our squad kept catching the squad in front of us. Chase Stroud, guy who won the match was in that squad. Very good positional shooter. Enjoyed watching him shoot, how fast he built his position.... David Tubbs was also in that squad, chatted with him a little, very nice gentlemen.

The red Oklahoma dirt/dust is nasty, very fine. Dirtiest my rifle has gotten. Crunchy/gritty sound when closing the bolt towards the end. Good to see my rifle not have problems in those conditions.

Match clearly shows I need to quit practicing prone and only practice positional stuff to move up to the next tier. Shooting the monthly Raton match on 4/3, should swallow my pride and shoot the entire match off of sticks....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
.284 back from the smith and all put together. Off to the range tomorrow to start load development.

Pic with her big sister in the back Smile

Shoot that thing yet?

54ish/4831SC/180 Hybrids should be a reasonable place to start.