SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Whatever I was doing, I felt it was getting worse as the match progressed. My elevation was dead on for the warmup target (maybe 650-700 yards ??). At the softball target, first shot went over the top (I held right edge), second shot I center punched while holding right edge & bottom edge -- which I figure was roughly .34 MOA elevation adjustment (1.9" at 560 yards).

On the final target (gong at 650-700 yards ??), I missed high and left, then high with my gun. With offgrid's dasher I center punched twice with a right edge hold. Back to my rifle, I center punched the target twice with a right edge / bottom edge hold. Unfortunately, I don't recall the target distance or measurement, but that was my reticle adjustment. Maybe I'm over estimating the adjustment I needed.

Or maybe I was just getting tired, cold, and whiny. Could have been the lack of caffeine, too. Probably caffeine withdrawal. Mongo like caffeine.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mongo needs a Dasher!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Mongo needs to register for Battle of Breakneck today at 1700 mountain!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mongo like Dasher. A lot. But Mongo first want to upgrade scope for 6.5CM, plus acquire new 3-gun shotgun. Maybe LRF binos, too. Mongo need win lottery, and stop being pawn in game of life.

Mongo ready to call today for Breakneck entry.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Mongo needs to sign-up as a PRS member first, that way Mongo can sign-up for the match before 1700.

www.precisionrifleseries.com

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Mongo needs to sign-up as a PRS member first, that way Mongo can sign-up for the match before 1700.

www.precisionrifleseries.com

Mongo should do that, yes, but I did Mongo a favor and spoke to the MD. As long as he gets on there at 1700, he "will get a spot".

posted Hide Post
I'm in for the Nebraska shoot, too.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Sweeeeeeet.

posted Hide Post
Now I just gotta figure out how to compete with all you 6mm guys. Maybe I'll just use a bigger bullet...45/70 lever action with "homie style" iron sights. Dasher Dudes -- be afraid, be very afraid.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I'm still 6.5. My rifle probably won't be done by then.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Now I just gotta figure out how to compete with all you 6mm guys. Maybe I'll just use a bigger bullet...45/70 lever action with "homie style" iron sights. Dasher Dudes -- be afraid, be very afraid.

You ever see the movie Quigley Down Under?

You'll be Mongo Up Yonder, knocking the steel over with 450-gr cast bullets.

Edit: of course you'll have to wear a buck skin outfit, with coon hat. That would be the ultimate old-school tacti-cool.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
quote:

You ever see the movie Quigley Down Under?

You'll be Mongo Up Yonder, knocking the steel over with 450-gr cast bullets.

Edit: of course you'll have to wear a buck skin outfit, with coon hat. That would be the ultimate old-school tacti-cool.

And crocs. Don't forget the crocs.

posted Hide Post
I've watched Quigley more times than I should admit. Rickman plays such a tremendous bad guy. Selleck is totally in his element as a Wyoming cowboy/shooter. San Giacomo is respectable eye candy wearing a push-up corset.

Mongo Up Yonder has a good ring to it.

If a .45/70 isn't in the cards, I could always shoot my 12 gauge with slugs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever I was doing, I felt it was getting worse as the match progressed. My elevation was dead on for the warmup target (maybe 650-700 yards ??). At the softball target, first shot went over the top (I held right edge), second shot I center punched while holding right edge & bottom edge -- which I figure was roughly .34 MOA elevation adjustment (1.9" at 560 yards).

On the final target (gong at 650-700 yards ??), I missed high and left, then high with my gun. With offgrid's dasher I center punched twice with a right edge hold. Back to my rifle, I center punched the target twice with a right edge / bottom edge hold. Unfortunately, I don't recall the target distance or measurement, but that was my reticle adjustment. Maybe I'm over estimating the adjustment I needed.

Or maybe I was just getting tired, cold, and whiny. Could have been the lack of caffeine, too. Probably caffeine withdrawal. Mongo like caffeine.

I forgot you shot my Dasher, don't understand why you're elevation didn't change shooting my rifle? I'm still leaning toward a cheek/parallax issue with your rifle. Some reason no problem with that on my stock....?

When I first started shooting the Raton match had a difficult time with one target. Stage 1 target 6, 875yds, full size IPSC steel target w/o the head, believe it's 16x20 or 18x22? Easy target right? Or so I thought. Prone shooting position sloping downhill, target uphill about 10 degrees. Bipod fully extended, rear of the stock almost on the ground. 1st few matches, I missed it high, What the heck?? That's a huge miss in elevation. Dope must be off, that 10 degree angle must be affecting the drop.... Talked about it with a very good local shooter, instructor... he said it's absolutely my cheek position....OK, I'll work on that. I have a 22lr range behind our house, 1/2 hour on the Bobcat made a down hill ramp/shooting position, very similar shooting angle to that 875yd shot, bipod fully extended, butt of the rifle almost on the ground. Paper target at 50yds, took a few shots, impact high, huh! Same result as Raton. Several hundred rounds later over many sessions, got it figure out, how much pressure to put on my cheek weld.... Now I just miss that 875yd target L-R.

fritz, if you have the ability to make a sloped shooting position by moving dirt or building a plywood ramp...on your Ranch, do it. Shoot your 22lr to figure things out.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
offgrid, Alpine, exx1976 -- all valid points on bipod position, rear bag height, head/neck position, cheek weld, parallax. I suspect in combination, these are the root of my issues. I tend to use a small, thin rear bag that only the rifle butt rests on -- offgrid uses a bigger bag in which both his shoulder and the rifle butt rest on. Come to think of it, most of the targets that I missed high were fairly high on the mountain side -- so my bipod legs were set pretty high.

Thinking along this line during my commute to the office, in the past I have really only shot level and down-angling positions. Rifles Only is flat, my ranch is down angling, T3 is generally down angling (except for the sight-in, which has minimal up angle), most of the Wyoming team match was down angling or flat.

Building a ramp at my ranch sounds like a good idea. A portable plywood ramp is best, as during the 5 months the cattle roam the land, they pretty much stomp on, rub against, and poop on anything that looks out of the ordinary. (Stupid burgers on the hoof.) Initial ramp ideas:
- Something with a peaked roof build, along the lines of the roof position on the final T3 match station
- Slightly different ramp angles on the two sides of the roof, so I can switch things around and mess with my head
- Hopefully build it from one 4'x8' piece of plywood, maybe with a few sticks of lumber in addition. I want to be able to move the ramp out of the pasture by myself after I'm done shooting.
- I suppose the ramps don't need to be any wider than three feet, or whatever I measure the distance between my elbows when I'm in prone.
- I'm not really certain on the best ramp angles -- any ideas????

Actually I feel a little better that my POI elevation issues in Rifle were likely caused by me instead of my rifle/ammo/dope. My JBM-based DA tables have previously worked for both the 6.5 and the 308 for DAs from -1,000 feet to +9,000 feet and temps from 20F to 90F. I'd hate to lose confidence in these tables.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
IMO, in my limited match shooting experience, the importance of confidence in your gear and your data cannot be overstated enough.

If you get on a stage and are doubting anything about what you are doing, you're in for a bad ride. "I'm not sure that dope is right. Maybe I should give it another tenth." MISS.

It's a recipe for disaster. Confidence is important!

posted Hide Post
This is for the 2 dinosaurs other than myself who shoot Hornady factory 6.5 Creedmoor 140 AMax ammo. As you probably know by now, Hornady is in the process of discontinuing their Amax line and introducing the ELD line of bullets.

I use JBM for ballistics cards. My Magnetospeed puts 140 AMax muzzle velocity at 2810 fps, but MV of 2772 tracks better with JBM. If raw G1 numbers are worth anything, Hornady lists 140 Amax at .585, with 140 ELD at .610. My first thought was that this improvement will be huge.

Running the numbers in JBM with 2772 MV and 7,000' density altitude, at 1000 yards I see the following:
Amax 26.4 MOA elevation, 5.0 MOA wind drift at 10 mph, terminal velocity of mach 1.53
ELD 26.1 MOA elevation, 4.9 MOA wind drift at 10 mph, terminal velocity of mach 1.55

That's it?? Only one stupid click in elevation difference and virtually the same wind drift? Seriously??

Anyway, I'm not so hot and bothered now to rush out for a case or five of the new ELD ammo, when I'm more of my own enemy than AMax bullets are. I will buy some ELD ammo and compare it to AMax, but it won't be today.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was doing the same, comparing the Sierra Match Kings to the new Tipped Match Kings for the 223Rem, and at 800-yards, it's only 0.1-mils. Nothing to get bothered about.

Brad Sauve, 2004 F-TR Nat’l Champion Made the statement: Spend more time shooting than loading ‘perfect’ ammunition or cleaning. Squeezing that last quarter-minute out of your groups won’t do you any good if you can’t hold one MOA or you can’t read wind conditions.

I think the above holds true for those people who try to get the highest speed possible, or try to shoot a bullet with the highest BC with their loads, when they should be more worried about their shooting technique.

George Carlin

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Hey Exx, you ever get your new action? Thinking of the one from TS. Curious how you like it if you've gotten it. Couldn't remember the projected timeline.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post