SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Very nice, jelrod!

So, an update. Stage 1 was cold bore at 1000 yards. The stage was run two squads at a time. Charlie and delta (my squad) got up there, and I was the only one that hit. Wind was whipping, hold was 6 minutes right.

Our third stage had some excitement - but I'm here posting, so he didn't get me!

Fifth stage I scored first and second round hits at 1000, at a fairly steep angle above us.

6th stage was movers, much harder than t3. I only got 3/10 there.

7th stage was steel Prairie dog poppers. Started at 1/2 moa wide and only got worse with distance. I hit 4 of the 5, 2 first round (had to hit them to move to the next one). Wind was murder on that stage.

8th stage I scored a first and second round hit on 1404.

9th stage I missed the downhill targets (never practiced that before - MUCH steeper than t3), but got a first and second round hit at 919.

Then I withdrew. I stayed hydrated all day, and judging by the frequency & color of urine, I was 100% in the clear there. But I felt myself beginning to get heat exhaustion again, and fritz wasn't there to help me out. Lunch was between 8 & 9, and stages 9-14, there was about 3 miles of walking. The temp here hit 100 degrees, it just wasn't going to work out for me. There's always next time... I'm just glad I had the good sense to withdraw before it was too late.

Hopefully my mile shots from last night get me a prize. We'll see.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Well, that was encouraging. Even though I withdrew with 4 stages left, I placed better than a bunch of guys that shot all 13 stages. Got to walk the prize table even!

Saw Steve from the T3 match at the awards dinner. He recognized me. I thought he looked familiar, but wasn't entirely sure. Also saw an older gentleman that I'm pretty sure was at T3 as well.

It was a great time. They are planning another one in May. I'll be there. Won't be so damned hot, and I'll be rebarreled to something shorter and lighter by then. Thank God! Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Certainly wouldn't judge that Stiller action because it wasn't feeding smoothly.

Gotcha. I will look at my mags when I have a chance and compare them to your picture a few posts above of a loaded mag.

How those rounds present themselves in my mag might not be right for your caliber/action/bedding...I can get 10 dummy 6.5CM rounds from Scott if you want, mess with your mags at the next T3 match?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jelrod1:
Did this one today. Steyr SSG08 in 6.5x47. Not a whole lot of data available for these and this is possibly the first of its kind in this caliber. It has a unique bushing arrangement inside the action (safety and locking lug) and headspaces differently than most. It required a custom contour barrel also that fits up inside the action. Got that made from Hawk Hill. Excited about this one. Still have to pull it back apart and coat it but ran out of time for this week.

Cool that you took on a re-barrel like this, congrats. Look forward to seeing how it shoots.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How those rounds present themselves in my mag might not be right for your caliber/action/bedding

Valid point. Both my 308 and 6.5 feed rather smoothly -- as long as I don't put 11 rounds in a 10-round AICS mag. And yes, it is possible to over-load a broken-in AICS mag, as I discovered one day on the T3 mover station last fall. When I first used those things, loading any more than 9 rounds was a real chore.

Let me first take a look at my mags. I will first try to determine if there's a difference in round angle/orientation among the different mags.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
But I felt myself beginning to get heat exhaustion again, and fritz wasn't there to help me out.

For the right price, I do a mean Sherpa imitation....

Sounds like a good match and that you shot well.

If you really want to hump a pack and rifle cross country, take a look at the Competition Dynamics Sniper Adventure Challenge. A mere 25 miles over 24 straight hours. Makes the Team Challenge that gave Alpine and I bootmarks on our backsides look like a stroll in the park.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buddy and I are shooting the Team Safari match in October down in Logan, believe it's not full!

hmmm.... decisions, decisions.... it would just barely fit into my work schedule

I'm struggling among options and priorities. One thing that could put a damper on shooting is the US to the Canadian dollar exchange rate -- it hasn't been this favorable for the US dollar in a long, long time. Could be time for a helicopter ski vacation in British Columbia this winter, which would require diverting virtually all cash away from other toys for awhile.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Shot the 6 creed today. The pic below is of shots 2, 3, and 4 after shot 1 to get close with zero. I think it may be a shooter! This was my lowest charge weight and things opened up going higher. Next time I'll start a little lower to try to see how wide the node is then try them at distance and settle on something. Also will have to get some velocities. Wasn't able to today.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Hog saddle showed up today. Now I just need to decide on a tripod & ball head for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

posted Hide Post
exx1976,

post the top five finishers in the Western Nebraska match?

I don't do facebook.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
exx1976,

I don't do facebook.

They just posted scores.

1st Gary Dean 119 6x47
2nd Cody Kinsley 109 6 Dasher
3rd Travis Stevens 101 6XC
4th John Griswold 100 6.5x47
5th Jason Baker 100 6.5x47

So near as I can figure, a clean would have been 199 points.

I see at least a couple names in the top 30 who will be at Walker Draw. Robert Pugh, shooting a 6XC, took 26th. His name for sure is on the WD list published on the hide.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
The owner shot the Steyr SSG08 today for the first time. I got it Cerakoted and assembled yesterday and he picked it up. Didn't have time to load for it so he used his standard loads already loaded for his other gun just to try it out. 130 VLD/37.5 Varget. Shot very consistently 3/8 or less. Below is his refrigerator 3 shot group of the day. Next he'll try the 140 hybrids and see how they do in the gun. Very happy with how this project turned out.

I shot more from the 6 creed today also. The thing has been boringly accurate. The only thing I've had similar to it group wise has been the 6br. I'm very happy with it and looking forward to stretching it out. Other obligations have kept me from that thus far though and will have to wait a couple weeks. Planning to put on paper at 500 and 1000. Right now I'm jumping the 105 hybrids .020 with 42.2 of H4350. I'm going to shoot that load until a couple hundred rounds to see where I end up on velocity when the barrel speeds up. That load is averaging 3075. I took it up to 3150 and accuracy held but am guessing this load will be in the 3100-3120 range after the barrel speeds up and is where I want to be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jelrod1,

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not my prettiest work, but it will get the job done.

posted Hide Post
jelrod1, looks like you have a couple shooters, proud work on the Steyr.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
exx1976,

I don't do facebook.

They just posted scores.

1st Gary Dean 119 6x47
2nd Cody Kinsley 109 6 Dasher
3rd Travis Stevens 101 6XC
4th John Griswold 100 6.5x47
5th Jason Baker 100 6.5x47

So near as I can figure, a clean would have been 199 points.

I see at least a couple names in the top 30 who will be at Walker Draw. Robert Pugh, shooting a 6XC, took 26th. His name for sure is on the WD list published on the hide.

Thanks. Gary Dean is local shooter, couldn't meet a nicer guy. Shoots a Bighorn action, 22" 6x47... Travis Stevens won the Walker Draw last year, solid shooter.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Travis is definitely a good shot. Had dinner with him Friday night. He also won one of the side matches - he scored 6 hits on 3" steel from 250 yards prone in 20 seconds.

He will be at the draw as well.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Any thoughts on a zero mark? Or other ideas?

I believe there are aftermarket knobs available for some models (possibly Kenton Ind.) that have a zero stop feature. I think there is also a shim pack of some sort available that can create a stop on the factory turret. I've not used either personally but may be something to look into.

Not sure if you saw this or not. Was posted on the Daily Bulletin. Seems pretty cost effective if it works with your model.

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...upold-scope-turrets/

From the article:

"Leupold & Stevens makes good scopes, but the standard turrets with screw-on caps are inconvenient for some users. It’s too easy to misplace the caps. Also the standard turrets are not the easiest to grip, particularly with gloved hands. To improve the “gripability” of its scope turrets, Leupold now offers new S1 and S5 screw-on knurled dials that fit in place of the cap covers. These aluminum dials offer large, knurled surfaces that are easy to grip, even when wearing gloves. “These screw-on dials mean no more lost caps or the need for a coin to make adjustments in the field,” said Tim Lesser, Leupold’s Product Development Director. The S1 is for MOA scopes while the S5 is for MIL scopes.

The S1 and S5 dials simply replace Leupold’s screw-on turret caps, so the user can install these easily without tools. It is NOT necessary to send your scope(s) back to the factory. Just remove the caps on your windage and elevation turrets, and screw the knurled dials in their place. The S1/S5 dials automatically align with the adjustment slot and securely tighten down. These dials are interchangeable between different riflescopes in the field. MSRP is $50 per dial set (either S1 or S5).

The S1 dial is engraved in ¼-MOA increments while the S5 (for mil-based turrets) is marked in 0.1 MIL. Both come with a locking zero stop...."

posted Hide Post
Did some shooting with my 22lr trainer this AM at 100yds. Working on positional stuff, off of sticks/tripod..

Lug shooting sticks/tripod around, might as well use them to their full extent, limited by my imagination. I've done theses three set ups in matches. Just takes a little practice to get efficient at setting up. All three very solid. Use in a hunting situations...

Adjust the sticks a little higher in height then the front rest.

Would have the rifle slid back a little further. Grabbing that closet leg of the tripod with my support hand for a rear rest/support. Great for a high shot.

The ultimate gamer using both. I've practiced this many times setting up from both sticks/tripod stowed in my pack, can get a shot off in 45 seconds. Note the orientation of the legs. I always have one pointed at me, that leg set at a lower angle to allow very easy/fast height adjustments. Also simply sliding the rifle slightly forward/back on the saddle can make very precise height adjustments. Several of my shooting buddies have the Hog/Pig saddles. I much prefer the PRS saddle for the ability to slide the rifle.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an 055Pro3 in CF, and a hog saddle.

I'll bring it along.

see you tomorrow at the practice range, I assume?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just picked up an 055Pro3 in CF, and a hog saddle.

I'll bring it along.

see you tomorrow at the practice range, I assume?

Alpine, another buddy and I will be there. Glad the temp/humidity looks manageable for this high altitude shooter! Just ran numbers on JBM for 1625', 7.0 MILS to get to 1000yds with my 6x47, yikes! Ah, it's just a number.