SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
New web app is out from Bryan Litz. Under Ballistics Resources is complete bullet data for a lot of popular bullets. Looks pretty sweet.

http://69.195.124.135/~appliem5/ballistics/

That is sweet.

So, where do think you're at with the Weapon Employment Zone Analysis?

Got the bottom three of the high confidence, if rifle precision is just referring to the rifle, not me! Maybe medium on wind estimation at 1000yds on a good day for a first round hit. 10" plate/1000yds with my 7SAUM/180 Hybrids have a 2.5 mph window, 6x47/105 Hybrids 2 mph window.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I feel good about the bottom three in high confidence. Not there on wind reading by a long shot. The 130's are around .1 mil per mph wind at 1000 (3.8") so if holding edge of 10" plate should have a couple mph window. Last time out I totally missed wind. Flags, trees, grass all said zero wind. First shot was dead on elevation and hit 1 full mil right. My only guess is shooting over a valley and not detecting it. I don't know what to do with that. Glad I'll get some sighters.

On another note Kyle hooked me up with a different butt stock I can switch out that'll ride a rear bag when shooting that way. Also the benchrest front plate. I'll have to make a quick detach for it so I can switch back and forth between the bipod and it though. Would be a pain to have to take the hand guard off each time.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Here is an equipment list for example of one of the matches last year at my club pulled from the IBS website. Light gun has a 17lb limit and Heavy gun gets, well, heavy. Guy told me one if these 6brs listed is over 80lbs Eek

I think its cool to see what the others are using complete with load data. Do the tactical and F Class matches do this?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
For comparison here is the equipment list for the 600 yard club nearby. Sam Hall is the holder of many records at this distance and Rodney Wagner is the current world record holder. Quite the competitive club here. May go some just to try to learn from them.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
this thread should maybe be tacked,,,,,(sticky)

and what ever happened to nikonuser?,, thought he would be all over this thread,,

Nikon left us some time ago.

His goodbye thread was in the reloading section.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
New web app is out from Bryan Litz. Under Ballistics Resources is complete bullet data for a lot of popular bullets. Looks pretty sweet.

http://69.195.124.135/~appliem5/ballistics/

I use Applied Ballistics on my Android phone. The app was $30 IIRC, but worth it IMO.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jelrod1,

it's fun to look at what those guys are shooting. Surprised to see so many 300WSM/Berger 210's, I guess the high BC heavies rule? Cool to see so many 6BR's, such a great cartridge! That lonely 308 must be a new guy!!!!

Only one steel match I shoot e-mails out a list of what everyone is shooting, caliber only. Been shooting with same group of guys for a while, we all know what everyone is doing.

Search around on the 6BR site, there was a post showing what a lot of the F-Class competitors were shooting at the World match in Raton last year.

Congrats on ordering your stuff from Kyle, he's a good guy to deal with.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
jelrod1,

it's fun to look at what those guys are shooting. Surprised to see so many 300WSM/Berger 210's, I guess the high BC heavies rule?

I was surprised too. This place does have a reputation for wind so I guess that's part of it. I think a Dasher won the last match though. I'm hoping the 6.5x47 is a good balance of precision and wind bucking. Looks like I'll be the test subject. Was funny when I told the guy that runs the range what I was shooting. He said "a what". Of course I had to ask him what a 300ACK was.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
jelrod1,

it's fun to look at what those guys are shooting. Surprised to see so many 300WSM/Berger 210's, I guess the high BC heavies rule?

I was surprised too. This place does have a reputation for wind so I guess that's part of it. I think a Dasher won the last match though. I'm hoping the 6.5x47 is a good balance of precision and wind bucking. Looks like I'll be the test subject. Was funny when I told the guy that runs the range what I was shooting. He said "a what". Of course I had to ask him what a 300ACK was.

As in 300 Ackley Mag?

Holy crap that's a big cartridge. Just get a damn 338 at that point. LOL

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Official name is 300 Ackley McNeil I'm told. Based off a 300 Weatherby. Yep, a bigern.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Official name is 300 Ackley McNeil I'm told. Based off a 300 Weatherby. Yep, a bigern.

Muzzle brakes allowed?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Yes brakes are allowed as long as they are not clamshell type. I think there is a new rule being proposed that limits the size holes that can be in it. Caliber restriction is .40 and under.

posted Hide Post
Pulled the barrel off today of my current 6x47 with 2100rds. I think the barrel is ready to go, has slowed way down.

Sending the action/barrel off to Beanland tomorrow. jelrod1 hope my stuff gets there first!!!!

This will be my 6th 6MM barrel. 4 of the barrels had a .237 bore, one .236 (2nd barrel). The .236 copper fouled severely from the get go, only got 980rds out of that barrel. That barrel died during a match, not fun, drive a long ways and the gun quits shooting. Not sure if the .236 had anything to do with it or a bum barrel? Gone with .237 since.

posted Hide Post
jelrod1, read your "Hey jlemmy" post regarding having a die reamer made. You happen to have drawings you could post showing the different dimensions between the two? I like the 6x47 so much considering having a reamer made. Not sure if this is a good idea? Have Dave Kiff cut me a reamer based on a sized case from my FL Forster die. Custom reamer to match my factory die instead of the other way around.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Interesting on the 6mm barrel bores. Mine is a .236 and was told by several it would shoot the Scenars the best because of their smaller diameter. Was not the case though it shoots the Bergers way better. I've not seen bad copper fouling yet either. Hopefully it holds up. Think it depends on a lot of things. Different calibers, different bullets and such.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Pulled the barrel off today of my current 6x47 with 2100rds. I think the barrel is ready to go, has slowed way down.

This will be my 6th 6MM barrel. 4 of the barrels had a .237 bore, one .236 (2nd barrel). The .236 copper fouled severely from the get go, only got 980rds out of that barrel.

I realize that barrels are a consumable item in precision rifles. But cheese and rice, a 980 round life is down there with 6.5-284. Just about every time I see a GAP 6.0 Creedmoor pop up I go...hmmmmm. I think I'll stick with my 6.5CM and .308Win for awhile longer. You just saved me some money this week.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

This will be my 6th 6MM barrel. 4 of the barrels had a .237 bore, one .236 (2nd barrel). The .236 copper fouled severely from the get go, only got 980rds out of that barrel.

I realize that barrels are a consumable item in precision rifles. But cheese and rice, a 980 round life is down there with 6.5-284. Just about every time I see a GAP 6.0 Creedmoor pop up I go...hmmmmm. I think I'll stick with my 6.5CM and .308Win for awhile longer. You just saved me some money this week.

That barrel is not the norm for the 6MM I've chambered. The unnamed manufacturer replaced it for me, no charge. All others 2000rds+ of "razor accuracy", I'm OK with that. The barrel/chamber job is a small cost compared to match entry fees, accommodations, travel...... Really like shooting the 6x47 for the game I'm playing.

Don't see many actual reports on the that 6 Creedmoor for barrel life, some from GAP, I take those with a grain of salt. Guessing it's lower than a 6x47? A fellow match shooter who shoots more than I do, he's about 5K rds a year, is about to chamber two barrels. Will be interesting to see how his barrels hold up.

Someone asked me once about the barrel life on the 6x47. Being a smart ass, I replied about 10 seconds or so!

posted Hide Post
quote:
That barrel is not the norm for the 6MM I've chambered. The unnamed manufacturer replaced it for me, no charge.

Someone asked me once about the barrel life on the 6x47. Being a smart ass, I replied about 10 seconds or so!

Nice to know your supplier worked with you on that short-lived barrel. I do recall your discussing copper fouling with it.

I believe Frank of Barlein barrels once said barrel lives are technically only a few seconds long (maybe even less than a second), if you measure the time the bullets are actually moving down the barrel under the force of the charge.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sacox31s
posted Hide Post
I just recently started in the long range shooting discipline about 6 months ago. Without a doubt, it is the most gratifying shooting sport I have ever been involved. Like many on the forum I have been involved with many types of shooting: target pistols, tactical pistols, defense shotguns, bird shotguns, hunting rifles, tactical CBQ rifles, 22lr plinking guns, M249s, M203, M240Bs, M2s etc ……. But, at the moment, tactical long range rifle is king. Something about developing a good handload, dialing turrets, holding off wind, hearing and seeing the steal swing, recording good DOPE, and the repeatability of it all is too much fun.

At the moment I shoot a stock Rem 700 5R 308Win 24” with a Nightforce NXS F1 3.5x15 with MLR2 reticle. I like shooting at local shooting ranges and in public areas such as BLM and National Forests.

Here is my camping/shooting range in a high desert valley located near Mojave. This photo was taken a couple weeks ago. I brought out an AR500 steel 12”x20” target for the LR shooting.

Posts: 397 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: October 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Thread.I bought a Remington 700 5R 300WM a few weeks ago.I am still working on buying a quality scope .I shot it yesterday with a crappy Tasco 6X24 scope I had laying around so I could get the barrel broken in. The recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and after a few shots I was putting holes in holes. This rifle is going to be a on going project. Long range shooting has me on the hook. Great thread and your timing was perfect. Thanks Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Butcher777,

I'm not sure how many guns I own, is that enough ?

Posts: 938 | Location: Southern Chester Co. PA | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post